Maryam Mirzakhani, the first woman to receive the prestigious Fields Medal for mathematics, has died in the US

Maryam Mirzakhani, the first woman to receive the prestigious Fields Medal for mathematics, has died in the US.

The 40-year-old had breast cancer, which had spread to her bones.

Nicknamed the "Nobel Prize for Mathematics", the Fields Medal is only awarded every four years to between two and four mathematicians under 40.

It was given to Prof Mirzakhani, an Iranian, in 2014, for her work on complex geometry and dynamical systems.

bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40617094

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40617094
mathunion.org/fileadmin/IMU/Prizes/2014/news_release_mirzakhani.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Pretty sad that's not a fake

Life is so unfair. So many brainlets get to live until they're 90, consuming a shitton of resources while this woman only got 40.
RIP.

damn

>her work on complex geometry and dynamical systems
It seems like she studied Killing vectors as well

Good riddance. Fucking affirmative action recipient. You can bet they're going to lionise this bitch like there's no tomorrow now.

She was very humble too.

"Na ocasião, foi reconhecida por “suas contribuições notáveis para a dinâmica e geometria das superfícies de Riemann e seus espaços modulares." Ao receber o e-mail informando sobre a Fields, achou que fora hackeada e disse “não ter feito nada realmente muito notável” para receber o prêmio."

>Ao receber o e-mail informando sobre a Fields, achou que fora hackeada e disse “não ter feito nada realmente muito notável” para receber o prêmio."

>when she received the e-mail about the fields medal, she thought she was hacked and said "I didn't really do anything notable" to receive this prize

careful you don't cut yourself on that edge

>40
fuck

>Galois died at 20
>Able died at 26

>tfw I'm 20 and I've done nothing with my life

>le edgy meem
Kill yourselves. The bitch was a mediocrity. Only got the prize because she had a vagina.

>"I didn't really do anything notable"
At least she was aware of her own mediocrity. Props to her for that.

So why do you find her work mediocre user? To say something like that you must be familiar with her research output!

RIP qt3.14

It's the other way around, buddy. Why do you think her work is impressive? Surely you are not trying to appeal to authority by leaning on her Frields Medal. I am certain you are well acquainted with her ``research output''.

Having a prior of every institution being totally affirmative action (reminder: no black mathematician has ever won Fields), and no woman being able to win fields on merit (reminder: lovelace, hopper, germain) is fucking stupid.

Link me to any article saying her work is marginal, and I'll drop the good-faith principle which you should hold for something as respected as any scientific nobel. Onus is on you to if you claim a respected institution is broken.

What is it that God doesn't want us knowing about complex geometry? She must've been onto something

They should, she deserves it.

RIP.

>Link me to any article saying her work is marginal
Nobody would dare writing such an article out of fear of ending their career.

she should have turned it down then

too bad a woman will never be based like Perelman

This. Fucking attentionwhoring skank.

There are conservative scientists, novelists, philosophers, psychologists and historians who critique identity politics in their fields and wider society. You're telling me there are no conservative mathematicians? No established 80 year old departmental chairs who have taken to saying what they feel? No tenured prof bitter at losing a grant to a woman? No culturally conservative academic in eastern europe who supports a traditionalist party? Not one person willing to write a decent forum post, letter to the editor or opinion page?

If you really can't find one person in a field of contrarians, nerds and the socially unskilled to rubbish her - unlike in all other fields, where liberalism is pretty frequently attacked by small factions - just admit you are a conspiracist moron who has priors that reflect reality poorly, and who views literally everything through a culture-war lens.

Nobody says she is bad, just mediocre. I don't see why people should be bashing her.

Sure smells like /r9k/ in here

Exactly - people in this thread are bashing her, despite no one from the diverse world of mathematics ever saying anything even slightly doing her down - no one even implying it was low achieving work for a medal. This thread is a ridiculous response to a tragic death, and emblematic of the significant % of the internet more interested in stupid MRA shite than actual discussion of anything like math.

Why are you posting this in spanish?

>bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40617094
Can't remember the last time I was so sure the link would be fake...

F

It's Portuguese, you goober.

Hello tumblr.
Fuck off.

> Nobel Prize for Mathematics

R.I.P. Maryam Mirazahani, you made the best of what you could with the little time you were given.

9/10, you got me mad.

And this is Veeky Forums again how?

>Veeky Forums-Science & """"Math""""

An arab lesbian autist died and we're meant to be sad OP?

Maths was only ever included to reduce /r9k/ and /co/ traffic in a place where they would be beaten down and humbled.

Though it is a pretty nice illustration of how affirmative action policies have an effect completely opposite of their intent. Rather than assume that a woman who won a prize did a good job because the prize was prestigious, he assumed her work was unworthy of prestige and that she only won the prize because of her gender.

Does that change the fact that this thread was created in the right board? Was your point to criticize the thread or to just shit on math to get some reactions from the idiots that will take your bait?

>actual math-fu qt3.14 dying at age 40
>not a tragic loss
This is so devastating because math is such a sausage party in the first place

That was going to happen regardless of affirmative action though simply because she's a woman.

Remember this was an Iranian women born in Iran. She wasn't born in a western society. Whether or not the trolls and haters realize this is another matter.

>anyone who doesn't reek of /r9k/ nonsense must be from tumblr

Probably a reasonable argument against affirmative action

iranians are aryans

so are indians, thanks cap

O R D E M E D E L I C I A

F

;_;

1. Mathematicians don't give a shit about affirmative action

2. You cannot fake your way to the top in mathematics as the work is much more individualistic. It's not like in other sciences where you can fake your way to being the leader of a research group of geniuses and appropriate their work.

-1 mudshit

good job cancer

Fuck off you SJW. So what if mathematics is dominated by men?

This has nothing to do with /r9k/ so you're clearly from tumblr trying to find excuses.

Jesus you're all cunts and not even smart cunts

You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
>Mathematicians don't give a shit about affirmative action
It's not just that they care, they're obsessed with it. Of all STEM fields, mathematics is the most left-leaning. It's full of white-knighting doormats who feel horrified by their own successes, starving for some wymyn mathematician.
>You cannot fake your way to the top in mathematics
Sadly, this is just wishful thinking. You can "collaborate" with other mathematicians, or you can get someone to ghost-write your shit. There's an abundance of of mathematicians that are starved to please women. See above.

>Mathematician dies
She was too pure for this world

She did more with her 40 years than probably every single person ITT will do in their life combined.

>1. Mathematicians don't give a shit about affirmative action
I've been on hiring/promotions committees where this didn't seem to be the case

It was true
Until I made this comment ;))

The problem is that sometimes funding is tied to this bullshit.

yet she's dead. was it worth it?

>no empathy
>no social awareness
>hate women
This place is autistic as fuck

Is there any real reason the salty MGTOWs ITT think her Fields medal was just because she's a woman? There have been obvious affirmative action awards like Obama's Nobel Peace Prize but I doubt anyone ITT even understands her work

I'd rather live a short life with great achievements than a long life without them.

>win fields medal
>can't even solve cancer

In sorry for generalizing so hard but I'm damn sure they are as salty as they are because women won't fuck them. If they got laid regularly I'm sure they wouldn't show that kind of lack of empathy

This is Veeky Forums. Everyone is a raging autist

mathunion.org/fileadmin/IMU/Prizes/2014/news_release_mirzakhani.pdf
>The Work of Maryam Mirzakhani

Stop projecting.

Oh but she solved it. The cancer died too.

>MGTOWs
You're that desperate to scapegoat people pointing out an obvious thing?

>You're that desperate to scapegoat people pointing out an obvious thing?
>scapegoat
I don't think you know what scapegoat means.

Go take some remedial English lessons, scapegoat was used perfectly there.

They don't know what projecting means either, apparently I just want to believe that this is /r9k/ and /pol/ spillover and not actual Veeky Forums lurkers acting like this.

>Go take some remedial English lessons, scapegoat was used perfectly there.
Scapegoating is unfairly blaming someone for something, feel free to point out what I blamed MGTOWs for in my post.

I'll wait.

no you didn't dumbass you're just acting like an insufferable know it all nerd

i'm sorry you have to hand out field medals so women will fuck you.

Damn you really are fucking stupid.

>what I blamed MGTOWs for
For all the shitting on Mirzakhani. Do you have amnesia or something?
Fucking retard.

>For all the shitting on Mirzakhani. Do you have amnesia or something?
May I recommend you a book on reading comprehension?

Even your mentality is wrong, thinking that you have to do favors so that women will fuck you. I bet you're the kind of chump who buys womens drinks or does their homework. I don't do shit for them, I just have this thing autists don't know about called empathy.

It is obvious that English is your second language. Please do not be alarmed, just keep practising.

Except the Field Institute is pushing really hard on this diversity bullshit. If you think that decision wasn't in anyway influenced by that you're an obnoxious asshole, sorry to tell you :(

My reading comprehension is fine. If you wrote something you didn't mean, the problem is on your end. Practise your English. You'll get there eventually.

And it's obvious you don't know what a scapegoat is, but keep pretending you're smart and well learned.

not even a subtle turnaround. you pretty much did a tap dance in front of me and said ''no u''.

It is someone or something you put the blame for whatever perceived ills on, regardless of their guilt or innocence.

Seriously fuck off you ESL moron.

>Except the Field Institute is pushing really hard on this diversity bullshit.
You have no idea what you're talking about. The Fields institute is a research center in Canada, and have no hand in deciding who gets Fields medals, which is the done by International Mathematical Union.

That's not a scapegoat

>My reading comprehension is fine. If you wrote something you didn't mean, the problem is on your end. Practise your English. You'll get there eventually.
Here you go, this one has good reviews on Amazon.

I mean that is indeed a scapegoat, but it doesn't apply to what that other dude was saying. There was no wrongdoing to begin with so you cannot talk of a scapegoat.

>manchildren seething about a mathematicians achievements because she's a woman isn't related to /r9k/
Be serious, you were an inch away from calling her a Stacy

Ah, this feels good. This is the kind of thing that makes me believe that maybe there is actually a god out there, and that he is a mathematician.

God, who designed women as mere dick-pleasurers has seen how women have gotten out of control. So much that now a mere dick-pleasurer was awarded the fields madel, the highest prize in mathematics. So god decided to make things right, kill her and send her straight to hell where she and other rogue dick-pleasurers belong.

Let this be a lesson for rogue women.

I still remember that thread when Veeky Forums found out she had won for solving triple integrals
RIP

LOL epic troll bro!!!!!!

Of course it does. He's assuming the flak the bitch gets is coming from MGTOWs. Just like the other retards blaming /pol/ or /r9k/.

>perfect score at the IMO
>Harvard PhD under Curtis McMullen
>CIM research fellow
>Princeton professor
>pretty damn good work on Riemann surfaces
>proved long standing conjecture on Teichmüller space
>got laid (an achievement on its own on Veeky Forums)
>survived by a qt daughter

Yeah, she's done more than all the MGTOW on this website will do on their liftetimes.

Nah, the real epic troll is the person who decided to give that bitch a prize in the first place. She is as mediocre as they come, and that is not surprising as women tend to be in the middle of intelligence while men tend to be on the extremes. So yeah, she could be a mathematician, but she could never excel simply because of biological constraints.

The fields medal's prestige was tainted by having such an average person receive it, so I'm glad she is gone and we can forget about this.

hahaha savage bro

I know you scapegoat to deal with your cognitive dissonance but the truth is that Maryam is getting shat on by your fellow Veeky Forumsentists.
None of those listed achievements entitle her to a Fields medal by the way.

i'm sorry that stacy didn't fuck you sweetie, but directing your anger toward successful women is not the way to go

How would you know? You're not even qualified to talk about the applications of her work.