Why does it seem like every mathematician who has a notable online presence (Terry Tao, Qiaochu Yuan, Tim Gowers, etc...

Why does it seem like every mathematician who has a notable online presence (Terry Tao, Qiaochu Yuan, Tim Gowers, etc.) are part of the LessWrong "rationality" autism?

>le mathematics is all about extremely-precise analytical LOGIC and we can and should apply this autism to every aspect of life! XD

Fuck these faggots for making mathematics and life in general seem like a soulless shithole and we should all just be robots hyper-optimizing our efficiency as cogs in the machine.

Other urls found in this thread:

terrytao.wordpress.com/2016/06/04/it-ought-to-be-common-knowledge-that-donald-trump-is-not-fit-for-the-presidency-of-the-united-states-of-america/
terrytao.wordpress.com/2017/01/31/open-thread-for-mathematicians-on-the-immigration-executive-order/
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=847&v=g_wkSGLVpcE
google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwj7m6evwpHVAhVFGj4KHVp6CU8QFggsMAE&url=https://theintercept.com/2017/03/30/facebook-failed-to-protect-30-million-users-from-having-their-data-harvested-by-trump-campaign-affiliate/&usg=AFQjCNFonn5EdOGpZTRj5yXwILHi5z8FPg&cad=rja
google.ca
theintercept.com/2017/03/30/facebook-failed-to-protect-30-million-users-from-having-their-data-harvested-by-trump-campaign-affiliate/
arxiv.org/pdf/1611.04581.pdf
web.math.princeton.edu/generals/bhargava_manjul
nybooks.com/articles/2017/06/08/how-trump-used-facebook-to-win/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Qiaochu Yuan
does this guy have any research accomplishments yet?

>LessWrong promotes lifestyle changes believed to lead to increased rationality and self-improvement. Posts often focus on avoiding biases related to decision-making and the evaluation of evidence.

Are you angry because you're a /pol/yp whose entire belief system relies on anonymously dog-piling on people who prove you wrong by calling them Jews?

>the only rational choice is to vote for Hillary Clinton
doesn't seem very rationally minded to me. I can get hating both candidates, but if you're not a sheltered teenaged girl or a cynical old woman, then you should find nothing attractive about a Hillary Clinton presidency

>every mathematician who has a notable online presence (Terry Tao, Qiaochu Yuan, Tim Gowers, etc.) are part of the LessWrong "rationality" autism?
can you link some examples of them being like this? I'm not quite sure what you mean

signalling

Define "increased rationality and self-improvement."

Keep in mind that Eliezer Yudkowsky is still a mega-autist despite his efforts to increase his "rationality." The whole "rationality" thing is just a stupid online ideological movement and, yes, it's just as bad as /pol/.

Wait, where did you get that quote? It doesn't seem to be in OP.

Presumably paraphrasing
terrytao.wordpress.com/2016/06/04/it-ought-to-be-common-knowledge-that-donald-trump-is-not-fit-for-the-presidency-of-the-united-states-of-america/

>Proposition 1. The presumptive nominee of the Republican Party, Donald Trump, is not even remotely qualified to carry out the duties of the presidency of the United States of America.

Ebin

tao really shit the bed on this one, too bad, I respected him so much that I still respect him tho

it's shit

>I'm just going to take Romney, McCain, Clinton and fucking Jon Oliver at their word and demonstrate absolutely zero understanding of the American political system and international politics despite using flowery language
I couldn't have thought of a more JUST moment from somebody who you would have thought to be a critical thinker. Oh well, it's not like his livelihood depended on the election results, and he did gain credibility among his deluded UCLA friends.

They built their own life around the autistic pursuit of a highly specialized field which uses a very specific type of thinking. It's not surprising that's the only way they end up believing to be possible. Add to that the dogma of modernity, rationalism, and there you have them.

/pol/ sure is desperate to legitimize Trump.

DONALD DRUMPF IS NOT MY PRESIDENT

>Oh well, it's not like his livelihood depended on the election results, and he did gain credibility among his deluded UCLA friends.

B-BUT MUH IMMIGRATION

terrytao.wordpress.com/2017/01/31/open-thread-for-mathematicians-on-the-immigration-executive-order/

I'm pretty sure PERMANENT DAMAGE was dealt to the American mathematics community by a temporary travel ban on fucking Yemen. God, I can't believe this person is such a fucking drama queen.

I agree. Physicists are better than mathematicians.

A lot of students and researchers from the middle east were affected by this.

mate, fuck off. that was a dick move by trump and affected a bunch of people severely

From Iran, the only country from that list with any noticeable number of academics, and with a decent capacity to educate and employ them on their own if they were to return. I really have no sympathy for anybody who thinks that the theocratic Iranian government is tolerable enough to have anything less temporary than a green card when residing in the United States. Sorry, but you are a potential threat to the United States given our lax screening in the past, and no amount of average deaths from jihadist statistics (which ALWAYS seem to exclude 9/11 because that would be an outlier, ALWAYS seem to exclude Islam-motivated individuals like Club Pulse shooting, and ALWAYS seem to neglect that the Islamic community within the United States know of these plots and yet fail to bring them to justice) will convince me otherwise. Police your damn community next time and we wouldn't have this problem..

You have to go back.

>/pol/yp
i laughed

really it's incredible that these virtue-signaling breitcucks think anyone takes them seriously when they come to LARP on a math board. these faggots didn't even know who tao was until he pointed out that trump isn't qualified to be the president.

if anything we should've banned every Islamic country except Iran, lel

and banned all of Africa too

>if anything we should've banned every Islamic country except Iran
And based Assad Syria Government.

Russia's best Allies.

I could really care less about the Syrian war, but most Iranians who come to the US come here to get the fuck away from the theocratic government (at least, the ones I've met in academia have), and seem remarkably more functional in society than Arab Muslims.

>pure methematicians
>not autistic
>Define "increased rationality and self-improvement."
Fedora, 40% bodyfat and a banana up the ass.
Yes, I'm sure an autistic chink has a great grasp of world politics.

>changing the subject to whether or not tao is correct
At least you don't deny being part of a Reddit army

>not banning a violent theocratic government who openly admits to sponsoring anti-American Shi'ite terrorists
wew lad

>we should all just be robots hyper-optimizing our efficiency as cogs in the machine
Why would you want to be inefficient?

a lot of dudes like him who are always in close proximity to a university absorb the pollution that non-stem departments shit out subconsciously

Otherwise he would probably have no friends or people would think of him as the irrational nazi professor

I think he meant to say mindless machines.

So? If an aspect of mind is undesirable, why not just ignore it?
Here's to lookin' at you, analytic left brain.
Why, oh why? Because.

>and he did gain credibility among his deluded UCLA friends.
>or people would think of him as the irrational nazi professor

Not to say that Tao does indeed have hidden, alternative/right-wing beliefs, or that there is anything inherently superior about those beliefs, but with his position and how the world is at the moment he may be projecting beliefs that are not his own.

I feel it would be the case that a fair few people in academia would have to hide beliefs that run against the current grain, for obvious reasons. I mean who wants to lose their job because of the thought police (which has probably always been a thing too).

>I feel it would be the case that a fair few people in academia would have to hide beliefs that run against the current grain, for obvious reasons. I mean who wants to lose their job because of the thought police (which has probably always been a thing too).
I don't blame Tao for kowtowing to the campus's culture. Why jeopardize a /comfy/ 500k per annum job? You'll just end up like that other UCLA professor who had the nerve to encourage free speech among his students at a public university.

How can that aspect of the mind be undesirable?

They think their thought methods can be applied to anything in life, for being people that work with complex mathematics you would believe they understand the non-linearity and chaos in life, but no, the arrogance is bigger.

>LessWrong promotes lifestyle changes believed to lead to increased rationality and self-improvement

Looks like redpill

>Posts often focus on avoiding biases related to decision-making and the evaluation of evidence.

Wise = rational + emotional + social

nah he just has a lot of rep on SE

You don't blame him? What kind of mathematician are you? We need less of this dumb shit and more Perelmans

The problem with those "rationalists" is that they are trying to rationalize loosely defined entities and tend to form an echo chamber. They really are extreme autists.

>Yes, I'm sure an autistic chink has a great grasp of world politics.
NOT AN ARGUMENT
O
T

A
N

A
R
G
U
M
E
N
T

>make shit quality posts
>others answer you with shit quality posts
>reply by acting appalled by the low quality of their posts
idiot

You assume I made other posts than the one you replied to.

>rationalize

I don't think the word means what you think it means.

I'm afraid he doesn't really understand the meaning of the word "rationalist", either.

Don't really care about his stance on Trump, but the fucking rationality fedoras are the worst, on par with pop-sci, and that's why I think these people are drawn to it. It appeals (or at least did, for a long while) to a broad audience across the internet and elevates the status of the popularizer that espouses it.

>He still believes in the dual brain myth

>the Islamic community within the United States know of these plots and yet fail to bring them to justice)
What makes you think they know anything?

>What makes you think they know anything?
Go look up the Pulse Club shooter and the San Bernandino shooter. Multiple times they made their intentions known to people in their community surrounding them, going as far as to enlist close family members and friends to scout out the places they would attack. Pew Research has conducted polls on the unlikeliness for Islamic communities to report suspicious religious brethren due to "distrust of authorities" or whatever. Besides, Islamic communities don't do the best job of integrating, and I don't blame them considering that American materialist culture is fundamentally incompatible with anything but the least strict brand of Islam.

this

Ok, hold on a second.

Are there actually people who visit Tao, blog, who support Trump?

Fucking engineers. I swear.

Yeah, but keep in mind that there are also a lot of shills. Beware not to have your perception of reality altered by all the shills inflating the support for Trump.

There isn't nearly as much support for Trump as you'd think if you're just an Internet dweller.

They also eat, sleep, and they might even have hobbies. Not everything they do is this strict logical math, they can have opinions on other things

t. Basement Dweller

I see an attack on Trump, but did he actually say anything nice about Hillary?

By the way, if Hillary is bad and Trump is worse, then what do you call voting for Hillary? Rational.

Great rebuttal, you used logic to indisputably counter his point!

Oh no wait, you actually just made a straw man presumption that reflects the same kind of attitude /pol/ often has.

Maybe not Yemen but there's a significant number of Iranian mathematicians

Tao would get a job anywhere he wanted. Not that ucla would give him up

eh

It is in fact a great rebuttal. What do you expect? To have him waste time arguing with engineers like you?

I myself have a policy. I won't waste time arguing with anyone who doesn't show basic comprehension of the topic and whom I suspect to be intellectually dishonest.

People aren't going to stoop down to your level. Deal with it.

You're the one being intellectually dishonest by taking a description of LessWrong at face value instead of understanding it's shitty, autistic culture and the type of people it attracts.

bumping this

I would argue that Hillary WAS the rational choice because she was the only non-populist with a chance to win. Populism is extremely dangerous, both the left-wing and the right-wing versions. It's basically peasant revolt in modern form, and tends to create nothing but only destroy. Precisely why Sanders and Trump were so popular... is why Hillary, although I dislike her, was a better choice for president. She was literally the non-pleb choice.
That said, this is probably not the reason why people like Tao supported her.

The less wrong guy is an actual retard.

>She was literally the non-pleb choice.
But still intellegence wise her followers were about one standard deviation behind the Trump voters, if we use the mean average iq of the demographics who voted for her compared to those who voted for Trump. Also there is no valid and reliable data on female leaders of super powers, which means that it's also more people, who are less likley to apply emprical data to their thinking. They also vote without facts from behavioralbiology and humanbiology, which show that female lead societys (matriarchal) are only self governed able to exist in highly geographically isolated places (mostly islands or sometimes mountainous regions), those which weren't were nearly always vessel states of others to varying degrees (today for example Merkel and May).

Hillary Clinton would have raised my taxes, shipped jobs overseas, and started wars with other countries. Donald Trump would lower my taxes, bring jobs back home, and not start war with other countries. What's so irrational about choosing the candidate who benefits me and the vast majority of Americans? Why is maintaining an irrational system that does not benefit me (and the vast majority of Americans) rational at all? Because CNN told me I'd be a bad person if I didn't vote for what profited them?

Isn't he the Roko's Basilisk sperg?

How can one man be so autistic?

this is the crux of the issue
1 - hillary is the non pleb choice, and most voters are plebs, so feeding the system what it wants is irrational if you believe it is not working for you
2 - donald trump had a few key logical campaign promises, but donald is a pathological liar and flip flopped on many issues during the campaign trail - do you believe someone running as a republican rather than an independent (i think his unpredictable nature let many give him the benefit of the doubt)

I think the Russian angle was key to victory, as rich / intelligent people voted for the standard republican tax break and cut to basic services. Hillary's counterpunches were specious: a fear he would start a war ( you only start a war if everyone is on board ), and trying to convince everyone she would have a better time running single payer through a republican house than Obama - one of the best diplomats the white house had ever seen.

yeah MIRI sounds great, but I think he's certainly overrated when it comes to accomplishments. You have to give him a small break when it comes to his denial of his weight - he has been that weight for so long he probably doesn't believe he could change.

>hillary is the non pleb choice, and most voters are plebs
thank God we don't use popular vote

Do you know the collaborations he would like to have you fucking ape? Do you publish in maths journals, or are you talking out your ass?

The important part is the NSA will keep trucking, but the fact of the matter is Trump has more open positions in government than anyone before him. He has essentially crippled aspects of the judicial system, and has had many important workers literally walk out on the cash. We will have to see how it works out when the house is voted upon, but I expect dysfunction at the level of the locksouts in 2013 (nightmare level).

Do y'all even remember the credit rating scandals during that time? Trump is setting up another minor financial crisis w/re prime rate, but fuck it

>plebs
if you aren't affecting policy you're essentially a pleb; if you are you are already a made man

There's no fucking doubt Trump was a mistake, but I wouldn't have wanted Hillary either.

youtube.com/watch?time_continue=847&v=g_wkSGLVpcE
This is interesting, I think this was also an interesting angle as Abe desired to push it, and SK's diplomats probably encouraged it.

Your body cannibalizes muscle, but then this slows down and uses more fat. That is the point of fasting and keto diets.

You know what I hate most about this whole thing?

Not the fact that Trump won. I hate the fact that the US, the most influential western country, got completely taken for a ride by a simple snake oil salesman like Trump. It's both insulting and terrifying.

He won, by just plain lying. It's comical how unsophisticated his campaign was. The other Republican candidates were all out using the latest in propaganda techniques to try to sway the voter inconspicuously and Trump just goes on stage and wins the crowd with brain dead simple tactics: lies and playing the us-vs-them card.

>He won, by just plain lying. It's comical how unsophisticated his campaign was. The other Republican candidates were all out using the latest in propaganda techniques to try to sway the voter inconspicuously and Trump just goes on stage and wins the crowd with brain dead simple tactics: lies and playing the us-vs-them card.
Have we already forgotten about the Russian hackers and Wikileaks? Far more sophisticated than the other candidates.

He won because Hillary is the worst possible candidate the democrats could run without dipping into the prison population, and their runner up was a tempermental communist who's work experience is as the mayor of Burlington (shithole) and as the local crank in the senate.

he didn't take anyone for a ride, he was the SHOW and america loved it. Nearly all americans, even the offended ones, love the pomp and glamour he sold them because they've been indoctrinated for 3-4 generations by it. It was the glory, earnestness and appeal to their belief they were the best that made Licoln's address so powerful. The american model is to inflate the ego, and trump just used what the government and Hollywood has turned into a money machoism machine.

>trump only used overt manipulation and did not use subtle manipulation
Fuck off echo chamber brainlet, you and pol should honestly just KYS

google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwj7m6evwpHVAhVFGj4KHVp6CU8QFggsMAE&url=https://theintercept.com/2017/03/30/facebook-failed-to-protect-30-million-users-from-having-their-data-harvested-by-trump-campaign-affiliate/&usg=AFQjCNFonn5EdOGpZTRj5yXwILHi5z8FPg&cad=rja

You think Alex Karp got into that meeting because his company is that important to Sillicon valley? Fucking leave you don't belong on sci

I'm sorry i misread the post; I'm sure both sides tried to influence the election subtlely but you're right Trump used more tools

>google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwj7m6evwpHVAhVFGj4KHVp6CU8QFggsMAE&url=https://theintercept.com/2017/03/30/facebook-failed-to-protect-30-million-users-from-having-their-data-harvested-by-trump-campaign-affiliate/&usg=AFQjCNFonn5EdOGpZTRj5yXwILHi5z8FPg&cad=rja

Oh also this was while his wife was taking heat for committing loan fraud for a college while he was railing against banks and colleges.

>>google.ca
Do you have brain damage ?

Better a temperamental communist with a spotless track record, who is genuinely trying to help out my demographic, than a lying billionaire who just wants to get a chance to ease his tax bill and earn a few more billions while shitting all over the office of the POTUS.

>I'm supposed to trust Canadians sending me links
>implying google doesn't redirect to any unsafe websites
Do you have 20 IQ?

hahahah what? this is trump's america

yeah this is the most sane attitude the pleb can have because Billionaires like trump don't turn millions into billions by "creating" jobs they do them by manipulating markets

>Qiaochu Yuan
>mathematician

Has this fag even published anything yet?

theintercept.com/2017/03/30/facebook-failed-to-protect-30-million-users-from-having-their-data-harvested-by-trump-campaign-affiliate/
Wowewowa, the IT dude behind his campaign was very good at his job. I have a terrible memory but if you look hard enough he's directly invested into Palantir

>theintercept.com/2017/03/30/facebook-failed-to-protect-30-million-users-from-having-their-data-harvested-by-trump-campaign-affiliate/
any nonclickbait link?

>Spotless track record
It's not hard to have a spotless track record when you don't do anything. His track record isn't spotless either, due to the aforementioned loan fraud thing which he may or may not have known about and assisted his wife with. I'd hardly call raising taxes on everybody and destroying small businesses so people no longer take a risk to go to college and therefore are more likely to waste the resources being diverted to them "genuine help." Is a lying millionaire who just wants a chance to emulate his good friends in Venezuela and Cuba while pocketing the money from his gullible supporters so he can buy his third house and pay for lawyers for the loan fraud any better than a lying billionaire?

He's also a childish dipshit IRL, just letting you know.

Is this him? Only thing on arxiv with his name but it doesn't really look like his field
arxiv.org/pdf/1611.04581.pdf

Nearly forgot: She used the loan money to bankroll her daughter (Bernie's stepdaughter)'s woodworking class at Burlington college, and her loan fraud ha caused ALL colleges in Vermont to have to deal with tons of new federal bullshit relating to any sorts of funding ever since she decided to take some people for a ride so she could look competent.

Ah doesn't look like it's him, different Berkeley email (his is qchu not qyuan).

>there's that many Chinese at Berkeley

I mean you're a brainlet you browses cigarette conspiracy pages, why do I care what you click

I find it funny af you think clicking links will affect your computer anymore than it is now. You think you don't have spyware on your computer now?

>You think you don't have spyware on your computer now?
Not everyone uses Windows 10 my friend.

Do mathematicians actually talk like this in real life?

Sounds autistic.

>OS dependent
you are so far behind the times it is hilarious

He's on his fifth year in his PhD and still hasn't published shit. At my university you'd be considered a failure if you haven't gotten at least one paper accepted by your second year. Maybe his supervisor should tell this guy to stop answering calculus questions on SE and start working.

What do you expect those examinations to sound like?

web.math.princeton.edu/generals/bhargava_manjul

They do when they have to interview some autist for a phd position.

nybooks.com/articles/2017/06/08/how-trump-used-facebook-to-win/