I've been getting into books a lot recently...

I've been getting into books a lot recently. In total I've read about 50 books yet Catcher In The Rye is still my favourite book of all time.

Am I turbo pleb?

have u read Lolita? it might... heh... be on ur wavelength

Why do you guys say this meme so much?

how did you know about my personal shitposting think-tank? anyways, the answer is that the sister-rape meme has been fairly successful in focus groups.

Because this board is shit now.

Can you explain this meme for me please? This never happened in the book.

>

Yep that's the joke. I guess people on this sub find it hilarious

It's like saying aliens took over the planet at the end of Moby Dick

I think it's because it's just out of the realm of belief to where it's possible. Like if you read CITR in high school and didn't really pay attention it's possible that it happened in subtext.

fuck you

here's the real reason op

salinger throws psychological freudian traps in writing. he likes to make the reader uncomfy in a non direct way like hes nonchalantly whistling in the background. he has a lot of double meanings that point to other stuff besides the phoebe meme. so it happens that meme is the one that stands out here probably because that's what they project. people who say that he raped her have pedophilic/incest thoughts.

You're probably one of the idiots who thinks A Perfect Day for Bananafish is about a pedophile who can't handle his crimes

I'm at a loss for words. Y-You guys don't unironically take this as evidence do you?

i'm simply explaininv the meme, faggot.
i don't think it's true but i think it's an interesting idea.
we had a thread where an user brought up this meme, i asked about just like op did, and another user gave me the links of this discussion.

alright dude not hating on you or anything. but that has to be one of the biggest stretches of all time

i agree. some part of it are bright though

I always thought Holden calling his brother a prostitute out in Hollywood was more akin to calling him a phony, a figurative prostitute. It would make sense with all the shit he talked anyways.

And I agree this theory is interesting but it is a stretch in a lot of ways. I'm not sure but referring to one's parents as "touchy" in the 1950's seems to refer more to their personality traits rather than some physical actions. I just don't see it all the way through and wouldn't be surprised if this was the truth

>Am I turbo pleb?
yes

>It's like saying aliens took over the planet at the end of Moby Dick

Alright, I'm liking your theory here kid, but I need some evidence.

Hating CITR is the quintessential Reddit opinion in the realm of literature. Salinger is a genius, read his other stuff if you haven't already.

Dude, reddit loves Catcher In The Rye. I mean /r/books is just pseudo intellectuals discussing books that everybody read in high school. Not that it makes it a bad book or anything. Caring about what reddit thinks is turbo pleb

Not really, J.D. Salinger is a great author. You should read his other stuff. Even Nabokov said he was great, if I'm remembering correctly.

Im actually in the same boat OP, I think I liked it even better than the Stranger and Siddhartha.
I think it's just perfectly nuanced. It touches on so many emotions in such subtle ways that it feels new every time. Especially how Holden straddles that border of solipsism and trust, of narcissism and humility. Its a book that describes not just growing into adulthood, but every significant transformation one has in their life. Ill stop my shitty pontificating, I dont really know why this book is so good.

Reddit isn't what /r/books may or may not like(I don't know and don't care) but rather what is part of the nebulous bourgeois socio-cultural character of "the redditor". Under which a certain, how to say this, feeling of affected superiority perhaps? towards CITR is certainly the prototypical literary opinion.

Nah dude they hate it. They hate on it every chance they can. It's always the top comment on their overrated books threads