wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Computer_science
Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Definitely /g/

baka desu senpai

cs is broad
the software engineering part: /g/
all the rest of it: Veeky Forums

Right now, it's Veeky Forums, but about five minutes ago, it was /g/. In a few minutes, it will be neither.

muh meckanikul keybroad xDDDDD

Most of /g/ simply does not have the mathematical foundation to understand CS. For example, how do you analyze time and space complexities without knowledge about calculus? How do you construct randomized algorithms without knowledge about probability theory? How do you develop machine learning techniques without a solid background on statistics?

However, I don't think /g/ is completely useless. If you have problems with your computer, I'm sure they will be able to help you.

go away

>wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Computer_science
>Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Computer_Science_and_Engineering

But it's true. Obviously a lot of us (those of us with a future at least) use code as a tool in our work, but coding IS their work. It's like asking who knows more about cars, a skilled racecar driver or a skilled mechanic.

/g/ is great for computer (((engineering))) not science.

So many dumbfucks ITT. Pick your greentext to see why you're a retard.

>CS courses have calculus, combinatronics and discrete math.
>CS is not about programming or code development.
>Software engineering by law is work on controllers and microsystems. Not programming on general purpose computers. It is unrelated to CS or code development.
>Code developers and ITs often do not even have degrees they are distinct from CSs.
>All of these professions outearn you peasants who graduate only doing unprofessional general background degrees.

>>CS courses have calculus, combinatronics and discrete math.
>implying this isn't middle school level math

I want this book desu

Definitely g but they also have a higher proportion of retards

>how do you analyze time and space complexities without knowledge about calculus
Your overall point is well taken, but you rarely need calculus for complexity analysis.

yeah my algorithms class is mostly proofs. the calculus we used was mostly for checking if a function was a part of a given complexity class by using L'Hopitals method

fly away duck troll

If you're wanting actual workforce-usable CS, go to /g/, particularly the Web Development General threads. There's also the Daily Programming Threads, but those are mostly just programming hobbyists. Amateur Game Development General is on Veeky Forums, but a lot of them are just GameMaker plebeians, as making games via actual programming requires a LOT of commitment.

Anything that you might learn about CS here on Veeky Forums probably isn't actually CS, but more of things that are around it. That's to say, Veeky Forums is better for making algorithms at the top-level or for making control system/electrical changes at the bottom level, while /g/ is better at the things that are in between those two or the things that are beyond the top-level like consumer technology and part specs comparisons.

I'd always thought it'd be neat to make a refrigerant-based computer cooling system, but that really wound up in the realm of /diy/. It honestly just depends on what your aims are.

>muh arch with i3 and le anime girls wallpaper
>cs

I have observed /g/ users who were unable to implement linked lists when confronted about their belief that computer science students are poorly trained and asked to prove their ability.

Their general excuse for a lack of programming knowledge is that modern languages have linked lists by default therefor they are not required to learn fundamental data structures.

On the other hand they are all very well versed in writing fizzbuzz programs and citing statistics about average programmers being unable to implement linked lists.

As for the topic of who knows more /g/ or Veeky Forums.

I feel that a small portion of /g/ users have a very good understanding of the standard Unix command line and the syntax that is associated with certain programming language standards.
/g/ has the advantage of having people who know many different software tools and languages.
/g/ has the disadvantage of having many users who don't know too much about a certain topic and try to create narratives about CS being a toilet paper degree.

see , this is exactly true.
/g/ is now mostly tech illiterate /v/ faggots.
>What is a semiconductor, is that a power up? How do I get it?!

>Mixing insults and keigo.
Wtf?

If you use anything other than i3 you're a fag who knows nothing about computing

[math]Veeky Forums \cup /g/[/math] knows the most about CS.

I meant [math]Veeky Forums \cap /g/[/math]. Feel free to call me a brainlet and otherwise make fun of me.

Aye, the majority of /g/ users are just consumer tech kiddies and narrowly-specialized technology tradesmen, not necessarily ground-up creators. That's why I specified those two threads on /g/; they're the two most likely to be of any use to a CS major, if only for the offsite resources that get passed around those threads through word of mouth.

/g/ has TempleOS, so they should know more

/thread

Computer Science is a legit discipline but it's completely saturated with engineers and their mindsets.

Does anyone else use Plural-sight? ;_; I just started the introduction to programing course on there and I think it's sort of fun. How about Crash Course computer science? Anyone enjoy that as well?

I mean there's different cultures in the different parts of CS

There's the Start-up clowns, the freetards, the /g/men or whatever, the cyberpunks, the college kids, the people who do it for fun, and the people who do it for money.

And even in the working profession there's the full time employees, people who work on Dev teams,and there's the networking/admins etc who don't nessicarly work on a dev team but work in IT. Then there's the contractors who go from job to job doing specialized work.

I say if anyone wants to get into this with me, you can start programing in general, then decide if you want to specialize in microsoft or java was it? I'm going the C# route. Or getting the A+ certification and getting more certs from there. I'm doing a little bit of both, but I definitely wanna go the software route. Maybe if I'm lucky I can put my self through college to get a proper degree once I'm making good money, with no debt. I have connections in the industry though cause my dad's been a programmer for his whole life and has a bachelors and has made up to 200k in a single year.

I've been down the start-up company route with him but we've failed so far, he doesn't seem that invested in actually getting anything up and running.

Agile development is an interesting subject as well. If anyone else is interested in this type of stuff.

It's all about the methodology and practices of working on an agile development team, basically, how some Dev teams work and function. There's sprints, goals basically, the team is set to accomplish by their scrub master. I want to be a scrub master hopefully. Maybe get the start ups working one day, but who knows.

i3, sounds too much like shintel for me. Ayyyyyymd.

/sci physics dweebs 1. Write integrals all wrong, with the dx BEFORE the integrand. 2. Use i rather than j for imaginary numbers 3. Put time on vertical axis, like complete retards 4. Use stupid software like mathematica rather than matlab or just write your own vhdl for fpgas. Nigger-tier codemonkeys might write same for gpls but fail due to lack of simulators and bulletproof language. Oldfarts might try a lisp one-liner.

Me. /g/ is full of children.

>you rarely need calculus for complexity analysis.
>rarely
More like never.

>Web Development General threads.
Web Development is not CS. The rest of your post is just bullshit.

>cs
>software engineering

Those are literally different things user.

ITT an obscene number of retards who don't know what CS is and think it's the same as software engineering or general computer skills.

/g/ actually knows a shockingly small amount of CS. Even basic shit like formal languages is sparse. I have seen threads full of /g/aywads actually arguing that context-free grammars can be parsed with regex.

>/dpt/ - mostly amateur programming projects but even the more sophisticated stuff doesn't often have anything to do with CS.
>/wdg/ - less CS than /dpt/

/g/ is for techie consumer whores not computer science nerds.

>workforce-usable CS
He used that qualifier for a reason; web developers are sorely in demand right now, to the point where you don't need any kind of degree to get hired if you just build a nice Github over a couple months.

/dpt/ really is a bunch of hobbyists and dick wavers without a very diverse cast of professional experience, much like Veeky Forums, and /agdg/ is made of GameMaker projects. I feel like you didn't read the post past the first sentence before saying it was all bullshit.

This is false, especially as you progress to more "advanced" techniques in complexity theory and algorithmic analysis. For example, the relatively simple tug-of-war sketching algorithm requires calculus to prove even its simplest properties.

Mate you just have an elitist and not generally accepted definition of CS. Engineering is a part of CS.

>workforce-usable CS
You misunderstand. When someone on Veeky Forums asks about knowledge in a subject, then unless they specifically say otherwise, they don't mean things that would benefit them in the real world. They mean the book smarts and esoteric jargon that would only help them in academia. That's Veeky Forums territory, and a lot of the things "around" CS are things taught in CS degree curricula, even though they don't really show up outside the classroom unless they have to do with planning & design.

How is web development not CS? genuinely curious for the reasoning behind this.

Barely anyone on Veeky Forums in general seems to know anything about high quality software engineering. It's always either a bunch of shills saying PHP is great or faggots wanking off their cheetoh dust covered dicks over Haskell

Is anyone here actually a software engineer for a prestigious company? And what do you work on? Front end garbage or complex low latency big data systems?

/g/ doesn't know anything else than the most recent processer and gpu is and why Loonix/Wangblows/OSX sucks.
T. /g/ home boarder

Elite fag/g/ots lurk here as well.

Newfag

Veeky Forums. /g/ has been completely taken over by generals and as such for the past many years hasn't even been a board, it's just a collection of subreddits each dedicated to some consumer electronic. Literally the entire board is basically a list of consumer electronics related subreddits.

Web development is perhaps the furthest from CS of all these fields. Web development is just art and stuff

No, computer scientists aren't trained in engineering. CS degrees are separate from software engineering degrees. Your definition isn't even laymen wrong, it's just simply wrong and not generally accepted anywhere except by retards.

Not that guy but web dev falls more in the realm of software engineering. The only real overlap between them and CS is when talking about stuff like actor model and sequence diagrams or how certain monads can be approximated in Javascript (or how monads can help reason about certain Javascript techniques).

CS people are likely to know very little about web dev and vice versa.

Even then "workforce-usable CS" isn't something /g/ users are versed in.

>CS thread
>Complaining about lack of SENG
lol

You're right, few Veeky Forums people know are familiar with even the basics of SENG including but not limited to design patterns, paradigms/models (eg. Agile vs Waterfall, not object oriented vs functional), methodologies (eg. TDD vs IID), etc.. but these have nothing to do with CS.