Are audiobooks cheating?

Are audiobooks cheating?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LzhlU8rXgHc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, because it's not a contest.

No. I'm borderline dyslectic and read along with sped-up audiobooks. It's really helpful when trying to read a required text.

A little. Reading should be about using your inner ear, and the narrator can ruin that and insist upon his own interpretation.

fair. I've found that some audiobook readers will show favoritism for certain characters and it's rather evident in their voice/tone.

It's like saying using your eyes is cheating because braille.

Whether you read via touch, sight, or sound, reading is reading.

these people don't like reading

listening to an audiobook is a completely different experience from reading, it is for low attention spanlets

>judging people
>using Veeky Forums
are you capable of seeing how flawed you are?

I am And I've never listened to an audio book.
I read ~50 books/year.

It's still not cheating, because cheating implies a contest.
Audio books aren't the same as reading a book, and I agree reading is better than listening. Still isn't cheating.

just stating the facts, friendo

I prefer alternative facts

Audiobooks are great for philosophy, because that was originally spoken word. Also it helps if the narrator can pronounce some of the more archaic spellings.

When it comes to fiction, I have never listened to a fictional book and actually gotten any sense out of the work. I always have to read it again later. But, nonfiction works very well.

Nah it can just be annoying hearing a narrators emphasize the wrong things

>completely different experience from reading

As someone who switches off between audiobooks and regular books, you are completely wrong. You are getting literally all the same text, audiobooks just let you hear it instead of read it. There's hardly a difference.

how do you annotate an audiobook?

>reading shakespeare

top kek. stay pleb guys

No it isn't cheating. Stories were told around the campfire before they were written down.

Someone with a great voice and nuance control of his vocal muscles can make a dry book seem wonderful.

I work as a proof reader /editor, and coming home to read when I just left work is tiring. Audiobooks help you unwind by giving your eyes a rest. It also allows you to do menial chores that one could not have done with a book in their hands i.e eating, cooking, washing dishes, laying in a hammock / on the bed with your eyes closed.

Pic related. They were all audiobooks.

Which were the best? The worst?

what app is that photo from?

The best were the ones with 4-5 stars the worst with 2-1 stars.

I suggest you try library at mount char.

Not an app. It's the dreaded goodreads.

If you list all the books you read during the year it gives you a "year in review", and as you see the most popular and least popular read books.

I'm skeptical of the amount of information you retain from listening. I think it comes down to the type of memory you have, some people learn better through listening, others through reading. I will admit that taking notes from an an audiobook seems less practical than when reading, having to pause and rewind instead of just stopping and re-reading seems frustrating.

no, i listen to them while i walk my dog, good way to spend an hour

It's like watching a film on your iphone, it's fine if you don't care much for the medium

Some prose doesnt make sense spoken. Like those writers who use one word descripters like:
>He tripped and fell. Laughter. Faces. Faces. He blushed.

Dude, are you for real? You only read genre fiction. How about you try listening to a real book, you well get almost nothing out of it because it was meant to be read.

you just don't get the same rythm and/or feeling when someone else is reading

REEEEL WYMYN
REEEEL BOOKS
mein gott

>listen to something slowly spoken, greatly lengthening experience
>low attention span

listening to finnegans wake almost makes it make sense so maybe.

it is not cheating just as it is not reading.

My God. The Recognitions would be impossible to listen to.

That picture is so fucking cringe.

>Someone with a great voice and nuance control of his vocal muscles can make a dry book seem wonderful.
Yikes.

why are you here?

>my job is looking at a screen and paper reading and correcting people's shit on a daily basis
>on my time off I know what I will do for fun, I will read Finegan's Wake

Fuck off. "Real" books are for you pretentious Starbucks fags who have nothing to do, and all day to do it. If listening to genre fiction takes my mind off shit and gives my eyes a rest then so be it.

Sorry mate but this is a literature board, try /r/books

You ever try and drive while reading user?
Go ahead. Try it.

Lol. This board is so desperate for their little identity. Guy likes audiobooks and genre fiction. So what fucking? You think you are smart or important because you read the canon? Rofl. At least try to be a better person. When you are 30, you are going to look back on yourself and just cringe. Getting indignant about a person listening to stories. Yeah, what a fucking idiot he must be.

I was here in lit since 2010 and I'm not going anywhere. I never went to redshit and intend to keep it that way.

If brown bear and butterfly couldn't make me leave (because I only read genre fiction) you think a no name nothing like you can succeed?

*unzips katana*

You sure you wanna find out, kid?

*crashes out pancake*
back the fuck up

Have you ever tried to just, like, not to?

Is it so hard not to? Do you REALLY need to read while you're driving? Like, you just can't fucking help it, you gotta pick up Joyce's Ulysses and start reading Circe as you swing into the exit at the last moment? Can't you?

You're right, I should just spend two hours of my day every day doing nothing except maybe listening to some shitty music on the radio.

Haven't used an audiobook in years, but really should. Sometimes I really just don't have the time to read, so it'd be nice to still hear the book while I work.

> using cringe as an adjective

fkys

>Deep reading really demands the inner ear as well as the outer ear," said Harold Bloom, the literary critic. "You need the whole cognitive process, that part of you which is open to wisdom. You need the text in front of you.

it depends on what your reading. If it's just a book your reading for fun/story, then it doesn't really matter. But then if you're reading a complicated text that requires active thinking to properly understand, you kinda have to re-read certain words and phrases again, look up definitions, annotate, etc. So it becomes a bit more difficult to use an audio book in that case.

No matter what people say, you can't cheat at real life, OP.

oh yeah

>implying I live my life by Harold Bloom

I sure hope you do.

I'd rather listen to an audiobook than skim through 1000 pages per hour to pose as a self-congratulating hack.

I love reading and always have. What I don't love is eye strain and the weird feeling your wrist and neck get after ~3 hours of reading.

When I first tried audiobooks, I felt like I was missing everything. After trying them for a while, I got much better at comprehension and learned to absorb them just as well as true reading.

As they mention, audiobook readers have a slow canter of a pace, which is markedly slower than how I truly read. I linger longer on the whole book, rather than a few pages being re-read for clarity.

Also, y'all all need to re-visit the same books again later on for true appreciation, whether it be audiobook or written.

>all these people trying to act like there's some massive important difference between experiencing a book with an audiobook vs. a regular book and if you listen to audiobooks you're not a REAL READER

Holy shit you pretentious fucks, it is literally the same experience, the only difference is that one is auditory and the other is visual. But you are still getting all the literal same exact text put in your head.

Regular reading doesn't take much more effort than listening to an audiobook, either way you still have to focus on the material, there are plenty of people who skim through text fast just so they can say they've "read" a book whereas you can't even do that with an audiobook.

You guys sound like those people who get mad about "casual" gamers because you play REAL games or something. It's pure autism.

Visual processing =/= auditory processing. Reading is more efficient, accurate, and usually more engaging for the user. There's probably subtleties of phonological processing that makes listening a categorically different experience than reading as well, like pace or flow, or the ease of 'mishearing' content or needing to marginally discriminate everything enunciated in the moment as it's said.

Not to mention you have a narrator or 'reader' or whatever imposing upon you a particular character and tone

>Reading is more efficient, accurate, and usually more engaging for the user.

This is completely subjective and varies from person to person.

Some people have a lot more trouble focusing on regular reading than they do with an audiobook, and that doesn't mean they are less intelligent or something, it just means they process things in different ways.

>Not to mention you have a narrator or 'reader' or whatever imposing upon you a particular character and tone

This is sort of a fair point but I guess it's just a question of finding a narrator you like.

I don't care if James Marsters imposes his tones and characters on me. The same shit is done when you watch a tv series or a movie that is based on the books.

I "read" all the Harry potter books in text format, and when I went to the opening night for the first movie I remember going "that wasn't what happened, that isn't how they look", etc.
If you are reading to discuss with yourself, and yourself only then you don't have to worry about tone, etc. But once you are discussing the book with someone else you will see that loggerheads are met.

>Some people have a lot more trouble focusing on regular reading than they do with an audiobook, and that doesn't mean they are less intelligent or something, it just means they process things in different ways.

Yes, but auditory communication is a different medium from the written word, it has a somewhat different character to it. If I were to author an audiobook, it would probably be in my best interest to reckon that fact and adjust accordingly. Listening and reading are not totally fungible ways of processing, or (inversely) communicating for that matter.

>This is sort of a fair point but I guess it's just a question of finding a narrator you like.

It's still removing a dimension of the reading experience, having a comprehension foisted upon you and possibly narrowed as well.

>This is completely subjective and varies from person to person.

Of course, audiobooks have a real market value to them. It's just that I wouldn't recommend an audiobook for anything more than pulp fiction unless the person had some serious processing deficit (i.e. a learning disorder or something like that)

Everything you said there is subjective, not objective. Everyone experiences shit different. Stories and information were passed from word of mouth for ages, it's only now that we have technology that replicates the spoken word exactly so nothing is misunderstood, lost, or altered with the retelling.

They're good only if you're reading cheap fiction or if you have to deal with long commutes.
Yet, if you're used to reading they will be bad too. I've tried to listen to a few audiobooks, and I've always thought that they were too slow. A full page may take 2-3-4 minutes, but I could read it in 60 seconds, especially if it was pulp trash.

To be fair, though, I think it applies to oral speech in general. Reading is always faster and more effective than hearing someone explain what I'm supposed to read.

>Yet, if you're used to reading they will be bad too. I've tried to listen to a few audiobooks, and I've always thought that they were too slow. A full page may take 2-3-4 minutes, but I could read it in 60 seconds
This was true, I had to train myself to use audiobooks. Now I can multitask and explain to you what happened in a book months/years later.
I also pause and take notes to place in my goodreads "review" as to why this book was shit or good.

This for sure.

You are exactly the type of person I imagined having that opinion.

Leave you turbopleb

Lol. This guy is so desperate for their little identity. Veeky Forums likes books and literature. So what fucking? You think you are smart or important because you read genre fiction? Rofl. At least try to be a better person. When you are 30, you are going to look back on yourself and just cringe. Getting indignant about a board reading culturally relevant - enticing - hard - pieces of literature. Yeah, what a fucking idiot board this must be

I have literally never read through a book without re-reading parts of it. Sometimes for better understanding and sometimes because that part was especially beautiful or insightful. Hearing someone else read can also impact how you interpret the book.

It's literally not the same experience. It's fine if you want to listen to audiobooks, but it's not the same and I wouldn't recommend it if it's anything more profound than YA fantasy.

You know that you can listen to an audiobook, and then at some point go back and read the actual book if you want, right? An audiobook can be an easier way for people who have focus issues to get into something, and then once they KNOW they like it and want to experience it again, maybe more in-depth, they can just read the actual book and it will be easier because they will already be familiar with it.

Instead of shitting on audiobooks, we should look at it as a good thing that they can be used to help more people get into literature and enjoy it. I think the more people who read, the better, as long as they aren't only reading trash. It's better than playing video games or watching cartoons all the time which is what I did until fairly recently.

Sure. How is that related to what I said though? I just responded to
> it is literally the same experience
which is false.

Why would it? Reading is much faster.
I listen pretty much all of my genre fiction these days, a good narrator really enhances the experience

Its not cheating but good luck appreciating the finer details or pounts in an audiobook

Why do faggots say this while on Veeky Forums

Like, yes, you dumb twat, I'm using Veeky Forums. You are too. There's nothing embarrassing about using Veeky Forums, it's just another forum. Lots of successful people browse this site

Are you so stupid that you need to stare at written text over and over again to understand it's 'finer details'?

Brb lemme just watch a movie by reading the script and listen to songs by reading lyrics

>fkys

cringe

FUCKING pleb fgt get out. You're making Veeky Forums worse. Seriously smash your pc tablet phone or whatever and NEVER come back. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>bitching about oral tradition that gave birth to poetry and plays
>not a pleb

fkys

Jeremy Irons reading Lolita, try that one and see what you think

Agree with the menial task thing completely, I have been able to "read" so much more because I can listen to an audiobook at work 50% of the time. BTW, how great was "How Music Got Free"? I loved that book, one of my favorites last year for sure.

As long as it's a good book, who gives a shit
youtube.com/watch?v=LzhlU8rXgHc