Consciousness

What do we do about consciousness-posters? Quantum mechanics has nothing (read: nothing) to do with consciousness.

>What do we do about consciousness-posters?
Just hide the thread and don't reply to it.

Go complain with the guy who made up the "observer" term.

That shit is for people who feel entitled to being special but know it would be embarrassing to believe in God. Same with simulation theory.

This.

So what IS consciousness? It obviously arises unprompted from natural laws.

Death is a lie

>Quantum mechanics has nothing (read: nothing) to do with consciousness.

So you are a dualist then? If consciousness is a result of physical processes, then quantum mechanics must have EVERYTHING to do with it.

Even though he's moved into crackpot territory, I like Roger Penrose' idea of consciousness as a third "layer" of physics, which is by nature incalculable, and it serves to transition quantum states up to a relativistic scale. Roger's probably dosing pretty hard on the DMT though.

Consciousness is the field from which ripples form probability waves. Those waves are the waveforms in QM

t. /x/ :^)

Read about Brahman if you want to know the science of consciousness. You cannot come to understand consciousness by materialistic means, which is what western sciences are based upon.

You cannot actually put consciousness perfectly into words, hence the need for meditation to investigate it. The closest you'll come to conceptualizibg it is the word "Is"

>Read about Brahman if you want to know the science of consciousness
How do I into Hinduism? I don't necessarily want to be a practitioner, but just to know where the entry points are to understanding it.

>people who feel entitled to being special
what does that mean?

Read the Bhagavad Gita, it contains the core of all Hindu philosophy plus knowledge you won't find in other texts.

>you cannot come to understand consciousness by materialistic means

I see what you mean kind but thats also pretty gay and retarded. You see, consciousness is definitely non-material in the typical sense of 'material' however it is an abstract material. It has to have some material form, even if you believe in duality, then you still have a physical 'soul' in a 'soul realm' or whatever the fuck.

main point here tho is consciousness is abstract material. You cannot understand it by thinking in physical materialistic terms, but you also cannot understand atoms (accurately) if you think in purely physical materialistic terms. You can understand both if you think in abstract terms. Its harder to understand how abstract math shit leads to physicality if you're a brainlet but if you keep trying you'll get it one day.

you wouldn't understand if i told you. it breaks everything you think is true and every method by which you imagine you can decipher true from false.

try me faggot

I've spent time meditating too and I've taken LSD. Consciousness has everything to do with binary. 1!=0 except when it doesn't :^)

do your retard dance somewhere else

I think I know what you're trying to say by abstract material but I'm not entirely sure.

There exists two forms of energy, the superior spiritual energy and the inferior material energy. The material energy is inert originally, but is animated by the spiritual energy. Consciousness is this superior spiritual energy, if that's what you mean to convey by abstract material, but consciousness itself is definitely not any form of material. The material energy is actually the exact opposite of the spiritual.

>You cannot understand it by thinking in physical materialistic terms
>You can understand both if you think in abstract terms
Consciousness is not able to be understood by means of thought alone at all. Dry philosophy composed of mental speculation will always yield imperfect results. The reason for this is the mind is also material, albeit a more subtle form. You must first have the firsthand experience of the truth or be told it by somebody who has in order to boil it down into a conception graspable by the mind. So you can go top down in this process, bringing knowledge down from consciousness to the mind, but you cannot go bottom up. This is also why it's recommended to have a spiritual master guide you, as trying to bring yourself up is akin to trying escape an ocean while drowning. You need someone who's already out of the ocean to assist you out.

I just read the first line and like 10 words of the second line of your post and no more

you're a faggot all I mean is its numbers you idiot. And numbers are real things in reality, but the base form is always binary.

If you're
Then LSD just shows you a vague idea of the impersonal conception of the truth, which is not the highest and so not perfect.

Look you won't get ANYWHERE if you don't build from the ground up. You're dealing with huge nebulous concepts of 'spiritual' 'energy' with no apparent well defined context

It has to start with base logic. Its honestly all right there in plain sight, look at video feedback, and fractals, and how they related, and how that relates to both physical systems (physics simulations) and intelligence. From there, theres a wealth of conclusions I would list here but I think are best reached on your own.

A couple base things tho:
consciousness is a function of existent data, it is naturally present in every existing universe to some degree. It has a lot to do with relationships between numbers, knowing some things about topology helps to understand this. When these relationships are used in intelligent ways, consciousness forms. When these relationships are used in a feedback loop, physical reality forms. I do think the element of consciousness is the same that allows physical reality to form in the first place. Consciousness is also a similar feedback loop but the difference is its built backwards. Reality is created based on itself, it just is. Consciousness forms by trying to recreate a model of reality.
Since there are more types of intelligence as it builds, once you get to a level of self-awareness things are a bit fuzzy. But pretty much right where general abstract intelligence begins to happen is also where self-recognition of consciousness happens.

If you haven't read GEB then you absolutely should.

Computers deal in binary not because it is the stuff of computers but it is the stuff of reality and intelligence.

Cont. reply to
The spiritual shit you're talking about I don't fully denounce, its just, all that is more useful in getting your own personal view which will allow for greater happiness and achievement of your goals. Thats some great shit personally. But we're trying to actually get a solid understanding here, and that only serves to confuse and delay and make you look retarded to anyone who hasn't personally experienced that (or has but wrote it off).

I'm down for some good roleplaying.

Consciousness never forms, it just is eternally exists. It never started and it never stops, it just is. Material existence is based off of duality, but actual reality is nondual or without binary if you prefer There's no need to divide things calling this a 1 and this a 0, all of it just is. And again I reiterate you cannot reach the perfected truth by means of mental speculation, it either has to be told to you from s perfect source or you realize it firsthand and attain liberation.

It seems like you're trying to achieve the truth through materialistic thought, hence the whole binary thing, otherwise you'd be talking of nondualism. The existence of the spiritual is not some new age nonsense made up to feel flowery, it's what constitutes actual reality and is what the truth is actually composed of. Only by understanding of the spiritual can you get a real understanding of what reality is, but I acknowledge that it's hard to simply take my word for it as it shouldn't be based on blind faith alone. If you still take LSD I heavily recommend to read at least a few verses if the Bhagavad Gita next time you trip, it's how I came around to it. What I've been telling you isn't if my own imperfect concoction but learned through the Gita, a perfect source of knowledge. Tripping gives you the state of consciousness to simply tell that what it says is transcendental, and not material.

>Consciousness never forms, it just is eternally exists.
right...I said its a function of existent data. probably should have said its a property of data. Either way, its a property of data, all data, at any time, in any context, ever. Reality as we know it is based upon binary. Reality itself, from its own perspective is always singular though. Logic comes from one and one together somehow being acknowledged as two. This is KEY. All that needs to happen is there needs to be some consequence which depends on some part of reality where two act as one, some consequence which is different if its two or one. From that you can create all logic, any universe.

Consciousness as we know it is sort of an illusion, the type of consciousness you talk about which is eternal is not familiar to us as typically the default self-designated container of consciousness is the ego. Of course if this is investigated its found that the ego is a material thing which is separate. Without the ego you get pretty much just pure consciousness, but that is just a single point. It has no real value without the context of intelligence. Intelligence forms an ego which is aware of its own consciousness. The base assumption is like I said, that ego=consciousness. However any intelligence which investigates the context of its consciousness will find just the same.

>And again I reiterate you cannot reach the perfected truth by means of mental speculation, it either has to be told to you from s perfect source or you realize it firsthand and attain liberation.

Thats just bullshit tho. That only applies in our universe then, you're basically just claiming a religion, that there is a 'perfect source' or whatever the fuck. I have no doubt there are countless universes with such a system, and all sorts of gods and whatever else you wanna imagine. Literally all of it exists.

What I'm talking about applies in literally any context whatsoever.

again the shit you're saying establishes a rough religion that only would have to do with our universe.

Also I'm talking about both duality and non-duality. These are fucking tricky terms thanks to completely different meanings depending on context. In this case I am not talking about anything with a soul. I'm talking about duality in the sense that reality is literally made up of binary the same way a physics simulation on a computer is. From the perspective of a bit, 1=0. Thats where non-duality is. Every bit is actually the same, the logic is exactly the same if you flip it. The magic comes in when consider one bit to be 1 and another to be 0. Then you can get combos like 0010101 and you can arrange those in feedback loops to create reality. The rest happens naturally, look at game of life. If it was run on a scale of grahams number*grahams number pixels then eventually 'microbial life' would form, and after enough time would evolve to become self aware consciousness.

>Quantum mechanics has nothing (read: nothing) to do with consciousness

Says who

>If you haven't read GEB then you absolutely should.
What's GEB?

Everyone who has studied it

Godel Escher Bach

QM is not in an of itself the theory of conciousness but rather a framework within an even broader framework that attempts to dictate, control and manipulate what people are conscious *of*.

Shit in a designated shitting street and a twelve armed cow god will appear to you.

Stop

the people that came up with it? It's a fucking model. The model doesn't acknowledge consciousness, and the idea that it's success "implies" a special role for consciousness is the biggest meme in the fucking world and no one believes it except brainlets who have never actually studied it.

>The von Neumann–Wigner interpretation, also described as "consciousness causes collapse [of the wave function]", is an interpretation of quantum mechanics in which consciousness is postulated to be necessary for the completion of the process of quantum measurement.

The god of Veeky Forums himself believed in consciousness affecting quantum mechanics. Can all of you engineering students please just leave and go back to memorizing calc formulas?

So user was wrong about only brainlets believing that stuff but clearly it isn't believed by the majority of physicists and there is a reason for that. It isn't essential to the model and although there isn't a lot of empirical basis for wavefunction collapse outside of the laboratory, we should assume that this kind of spoopy stuff happens whether the scientist saw it happen or not. The majority of people who think consciousness is related to quantum mechanics are pop sci brainlets conflating real physics with interpretation.

This entire comment is braindead nonsense

You have to be clear what "conscious" means in this context. If you assume, as QM tells you to, that a particle can be anywhere, then when that particle's position is measured, you become "conscious of" that particle's position, meaning you know it to a higher degree of precision.

As for consciousness itself, that is a product of how you interpret things, what you assume and what you feel.