NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Threads:

first for chart
light purple best colour

>reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell
>Footnotes literally took up an entire page
good book though, enjoying it a lot
Was thinking of picking up some Stainless Steel Rat or Conan the Barbarian, anyone recommend one over the other? Or other suggestions?

>China Mieville
I tried to read Un Lun Dun and I didn't like it at all. Is that a good representation of all his work, or should I try another book of his?

>Stainless Steel Rat
Get it immediately.

Well that's a YA fantasy book. Not really what he is known for.
Try Embassytown.

That good huh? Saw the first 5 at my book store for around $18 was seriously considering it but got Norrel first for $10

ok thanks

Mieville can only write in one style. But that isn't really the problem, you can't read a Mieville without thinking you've already read this before, and probably because you have:

The City & the City = Vance's Ulan Dhor
This Census-Taker = Wolfe's The Fifth Head of Cerberus
Kraken = Gaiman's American Gods

>age of myth great tree
You reading the second book this year OP?

I can see the paralells to Gaiman (although you could just as easily say Ben Aaronovitch's "Rivers of London" stuff), but what has City and the City got in common with Vance?

>get to the end of the lord of the rings
>get to the next ending
>get to the next ending
>alright, im done with the final ending
>epilogue ending chapter
>appendix
>index
i get the feeling tolkien would have included the sillmarillion at the end of this as well, if he could.

Is Sullivan the guy whose writing is even tamer than Sanderson's?

>On the worst nights he hugged himself in the blackness of his tent, screaming and sobbing. He beat the earth with his fists, stabbed holes with his knife, then fucked them.

How is The Waking Fire?

It's ok. Would've been better with less PoVs. Dragon safari was neat though

can I get a stupidity check on something?

it's established early on the town's water is polluted. Later on, the main character realizes that his goals revolve around chrysopoeia, the alchemical practice of turning lead into gold. he finally finds out how to do it at the end and uses it to turn the lead/mercury in the drinking water into gold, basically transmuting the water supply into alcohol-free goldschlagger

I read The City and The City and loved it, then read Perdido Street Station and didn't like it at all except at the very end.

Seems like he's got big ideas and a strong voice, but nuts and bolts things like plot, character and structure are hit and miss.

Since I liked the later one and disliked the earlier I plan to keep on reading him since my two-point line has him heading in the right direction.

What can I do for a short sci-fi story where it opens with a distress signal in deep space? Seems like a great way to start but I have no idea how to branch out from there.

make it a ripoff of that one episode KND where shit went down on that transport ship that Numbah 5's hot sister was on

monoliths, aliens, black holes, wormholes, planets, moons, stars.
include at least 3 of these things and you'll have a science fiction story.

Could an existential story work where an astronaut on an outpost research station finds out Earth has destroyed itself in a nuclear war and realizes they have no home to go back too and could very well die alone in space?

id read it. theres all kinds of directions you could go with that.

Kinda. I think. I never had a problem with his writing until I read Scott Lynch and all the cussing he had in his book.

>it's a junkie jonesing for a fix chapter

Gold will still give you heavy metal poisoning.

I was gonna say the same thing as other poster but did not like embassytown at all.... Is this a good representation of his work ? Or should I try Perdido station / scar

This was a fun read. Kind of amalgamation of a lot of recent dystopian scifi but still holds on his own and pacing is great.

It's hard to know what a "good representation of his work" would be, really, since he keeps trying out new genres and types of story. The latest one was a Surrealist war story, which I quite liked.

Didn't that garbage have shit load of feminism jacked in it?

>This was a fun read

No it wasn't.

Why is fantasy so boring to read? Tried getting into Wheel of Time and Fellowship of the Ring and couldn't get through either

Any thoughts on Michael Flynn?

Me and a friend just recently finished the series and enjoyed the hell out of it.

None whatsoever

Stay away from "epic fantasy" which is basically prose soap operas.

Here you go

>be me, early years
>always getting SFF at the library
>find book with several SciFi short stories
>read, pretty cool
>check out 2 or three times
>bit later, want to read again
>can't remember title
>horror, despair, teeth gnashing etc...
>years later, see at bookstore
>BUYBUYBUY!
>not the book, not even related, memory completely shot
>crushed, feels, sadfrog.jpg

>be me, modern era
>remember one story from book
>find all books that include it
>tfw nothing hits brain
>googling individual stories from collections
>wait...
>this, the one!!
>library still has copy
I'm stoked lads

>Why is fantasy so boring to read?
>list 2 of the most boring shit series in the genre
>these two speak for the entire genre

Get better reads.

Has anyone read Crossroads of Canopy, and can they tell me if it's good?

Is there any fantasy story that acknowledges that the line "Let There Be Light" is basically God creating Lucifer

Yes it was.

What Novel is most like Time cube?

Shaeönanra did nothing wrong.

No

>Shaeönanra
sounds like a parody of epic fantasy names

Well, PoN is a parody of a good book.

Angela Carter is rarely considered but this novella has appeal for SF and fantasy readers.

>Generations after a nuclear apocalypse
>Survivors who retain pre-war knowledge and technology live in small fortified arable settlements; among them, a teenage girl protag
>They frequently skirmish with Mad Max/Mongol-like nomadic marauders who raid for food and medicine; lead by a shamanic outcasted intellectual, they live temporarily in a crumbling stately home full of gothic trappings.
>Teenage girl runs away from home and is forcefully married into the tribe
>For GRI fans there is plenty of rape, sex, violence, and homosexuality, rendered in gorgeous gothic prose

>Angela

>female name

LEL womameme author why even bother talkingt about this here

I'm happy for you user

>>be me

die please

I have genuinely never understood if this list is meant to be serious or not. Only 3 or 4 of the fantasy choices make any sense.

try stepping out of your comfort zone and live a little

Try reading good books

>spams LEL
>talkingt
Try reading.

Once you start reading good books, sure

LEL reading try talking about bookz hear

How triggered are you?

Try talkingt like a normal person.

Is reading completely trash books part of being normal?

IS typingt like a preschooler normal?

Stop shitposting

I don't know where I am!

Stop being so triggered baby

I'm really enjoying Iain Banks and all the Culture novels - I totally dig how the AIs and techs are done in that one.

Is there anything similar you can recommend?

>Stop shitposting
>unironically screams the non triggered user with the average spelling capacity of a five year old

>huerf duerf 1 typo means the guy has 5 year old spelling capabilities

I bet you voted for Hillary

>Murrican
Explains everything.

European

The book Dark Intelligence: Transformation has several AI's being dicks to each other and everyone else. But the society is an order of magnitude smaller than in the Culture, so it's not galaxy-spanning. So it's not similar in very many ways.

Thanks, sounds good.

Hyperion, kinda.

Thanks user, I read that. I consider the first two awesome (I really liked the treeship) but the second two were kinda boring.

I gotta tell you Forever Peace is so fucking stupid, Forever War is far superior and should replace it on that list.

I would also propose adding Hospital Station by James White to the list of modern Science Fiction.

>rendered in gorgeous gothic prose
Is this "gothic prose" like gohmerghast or w/e trilogy?
I hate when authors hide there rape and degeneracy behind "prose".
In a clockwork orange 2 rapes and a two underage drugged rapes were hidden behind that fucking cockney prose. Is this book the same?

Is this book gonna be all:
>"She turned her head to one side as a battering ram, that was mall enough to fit in two clenched fists. with a softness that seemed of clay but the rigidity of a wooden spoon, and an inner heat that felt like a limb left in the sunlight for long periods of the day. She shut her eyes as it prepared to dare the tunnel and the portal that she had kept fortified for sixteen long years. As it made ready to plunder her deepest treasures. She clamped her mouth shut, there was no use in continuing to resist, the treasures can still be had be her alive or dead, and to her, her life seemed more precious than meaningless treasure that would have been stolen anyways.."

>"She cried out in anguish and shock as her walls were breached, and she stared in horror as a neat line of ten, no twenty, no.. more than more than twenty? men all waited their turn at seizing some of the treasures for themselves. She could not understand, why were their clay battering rams out? Her fortifications were all ready broken, were they so cruel to break her vault open and open again, when there was a gaping entrance already made? She cried bitter hot tears, maybe she should have braved a crimson smile from ear to chin, from chin to ear, maybe life was not worth her vault being broken into time and time again.."

Is it like that? Or more obscure?

He is a troll that recommends people books that he himself didn't read, thus he can't vouch for the quality of the books.

thanks brother. Continue to shill Neal Asher. We fans must still together.

do you want a qt ai android that is so dedicated to you that she kills herself at your death? I know I do. Fuck Agent Cormac, he gets all the best girls

Entirely serious, senpai. What doesn't make sense to you?

(you) have no idea what you're talking about.

I know who you are. I was in the thread when you were taking suggestions from anons to put on your chart. You ADMITTED to not reading many of them. When someone told you remove x and put y, you did it.

>When someone told you remove x and put y, you did it.
This bit is true; I figured the people who'd be using the chart should get some sort of input

>You ADMITTED to not reading many of them.
And this bit's just rubbish.

Anyway, your chart's got Brent Weeks and James Patterson; it's hard to get worse than that.

Two down.

Waiting for One man against the thread, dinosaur, little girl books, estevian, bakker ...

Guys, I've read this book at least 15 years ago, sci-fi. Scientists create a portal to sort of an alternative dimension, where stuff instead of breaking down with time gets better through use.
Anyone knows what's the title/author?

>can't read
I'm not surprised

James Patterson's book is under young adult aka TRASH. What the fuck are you doing in a literature board if you can read and comprehend?
Jesus fucking Christ.

David Brin, The Practice Effect. Kind of a fun book, really.

>estevian
Not gonna happen. Didn't you see the last thread? The glorious mods wiped him off the face of the board, and banned him too.

>bakker
That is not really a meme, people actually enjoy the books, also one of those you linked is from bakker so it's 3 not 2.

Ah yes, righteous-wrath-of-the-mods-man who thinks Stevian isn't a meme.

Wait no longer

grace us with your prose stevian-sama

>it was one person pissed that stevian was derailing our general with his blatant trolling for riches campaign
Keep telling yourself that. Just know it takes at least 4 persons reporting to get the attention of the mod. And I didn't even report shit.

which of the other categories are also non-recommendations?

I'm guessing:
gay, rape & incest
female urban fantasy protag
male urban fantasy protag
morally grey characters
shit

no one gave a shit when stevian shit posted in the general it was when he troubled the op that was when everyons got anger i can't blame them i probably would have done the same

Shit and trash are none recommendations. Who wants shit and trash?
Many people want GRI though, and as you noticed many people ask for female urban and male urban fantasy.

That (Dark Intelligence: Transformation) is literally the only book of his that I've read. Didn't even like the first half that much, but the second kinda made up for it. It was OK overall, but didn't feel that amazing for me to start being a fan.

Dude there were like six people Stevian-posting, myself included, and the mods didn't do jack.

Thanks so much, user

That's because you started at book 9 in the series

Then were did all the comments go?
And how did it get the attention of the mods to delete it?

Nobody gives a shit.

I'm starting to think you're actually Bakker since you're so anxious to eliminate any potential rival in the thread, ie other writers.

Might be, though I think I understood the setting pretty well. The problem I had with it was that the character motivations seemed off, at least until they are better explained later in the book. I didn't even know it was part of a larger series until today, thought it was just it's own trilogy, after all it says book one in the title.

Oh, so they did. They deleted yours too. And they didn't ban anyone, not least Stevian, because if he ever posted here it was only once. The charts aren't him, the recs aren't him, they're jokes because it's such an obvious piece of crap nobody would ever spend four times the usual ebook price on it. Not unless they had a learning disorder or something.

You don't have a learning disorder, do you?