Is anyone else disillusioned with literature...

Is anyone else disillusioned with literature? I grew up always believing that something like the sublime exists in literature, something transcendental, like these books had deep and fundamental insights about human nature that were inaccessible to my young mind at the time. I ascribed to literature a sort of holy, almost fucking magical quality. But after studying it for years and years, I'm starting to lose it. Literature is starting to seem less and less significant. Where are the deep insights, the transcendental experiences? All these years I've maintained the belief that if I just hold on long enough, I will be able to find an appreciation of literature that allows for these things, but I feel like I was wrong. The effects of art are so transient and so much more superficial than I wished they were. It seems like there really isn't anything profound left in this modern mediocre world.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/V27XlEDLdtE?t=108
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

life ain got no meenin just figger you maybe otta let the tide take you were it takes ya

t-thanks

Stop reading what your marxist professors tell you to, it's engineered to destroy your love of literature. Read right wing authors.

that means you should impart your own work instead of endlessly consuming you brain fat glutton.

Art isn't superficial, you are.

What are the most insightful books you have read

The Lizardmen claim another victim.

>tuh-thanks
I hate retarded people.

Put down your theory books and just try to read like a normal person, like you did when you were younger.

The sublime depends entirely on you. It is not a endemic property of phenomena, it's not hidden away in books and shit.

''Asses prefer straw to gold''

OP I agree so much. This has been torturing my mind for the past several months.

Literature really is just a branch of the entertainment that is culturally irrelevant and therefore used as a social signalling mechanism among pseudo intellectuals. There's no better way to put it. lit will disagree and claim that literature is objective / subjective depending on what someone argues but deep down they just want the pseudo intellectual feeling. They will insult you if you claim that gravity's rainbow is boring.

All philosophy consists of flailing about within the infinitely large space of unfalsifiable ideas. Plus a load of marketing

I think deep down people care about nothing other than people. That's the big not so secret secret at the core of it all. Not "le sublime!!"

made me think of this:
youtu.be/V27XlEDLdtE?t=108

>something like the sublime exists in literature, something transcendental, like these books had deep and fundamental insights about human nature that were inaccessible to my young mind at the time.
You get what you give.

>But after studying it for years and years, I'm starting to lose it. Literature is starting to seem less and less significant. Where are the deep insights, the transcendental experiences?
Here's what I think happened: You read some of the books on one of the Veeky Forums literature lists and after reading the books and not getting the biblical revelation you think happens after finishing a book, you googled around to find the "answers". But didn't find any. Because not once while reading did you stop reading and think. Nothing you read had an effect on you, because your head is fucking empty.

>The effects of art are so transient and so much more superficial than I wished they were. It seems like there really isn't anything profound left in this modern mediocre world.
I honestly think you're just too stupid. Not even trying to be mean. Are you trying to tell me that not once have you walked around in a museum and felt something profound while looking at centuries old paintings and thousand year old sculptures?

This is what reading left wing literature does to you folks, screencapped. Movies have become politicized by the left and no longer strive to be great works of art but quick cash grabs or narrative pushing. Music deals are only available to those who espouse liberal views and inject them into their music to demoralize and make their listeners angry or uncomfortable. Art is a money laundering scheme. Sad to see.

I totally agree with you so I torn all my classics and novels then started from the beginning with books about religion.

make u own literature

Good goin Bill. Nice job Bill.

Have you tried reading pre-Modern literature?

I wish op would post his list of books he's been reading, cause this is the most fedora post.

Read some Hesse and learn to meditate. Maybe Huxley's Island. Don't go through them like a detective reading somebody's shopping list. Soak in them, relax and have fun. I find 2-4 beers can give a different feel to a book, I'm more likely to get sucked in and stuck on the beauty of paragraph. More likely to laugh or cry. I guess I become more emotionally involved with the characters or the narrative and through them the author. Not too often obviously but it can reveal a new level of satisfaction.

Happiness is life minus expectations/ yada yada. Also literature is just one side of the dice maybe take a little break, consign yourself to try something new and freshen your palate a bit

this

if you dont like books you ar probably supposed to write you rown

sounds backwards but isnt

start taking powerful psychoactive drugs

helped me

Litarture is just gay

did you just finish the compendium of jk rowlings works

There's no such thing as magic or transcendence, if there is it's in drugs that will turn you into a brainlet

>he drinks garbage
>happygilmore.webm

I wish more people shut down op, i'm disappointed in Veeky Forums we're a lit board, we should be dedicated to holding up literature as one of the highest mediums known to man, it's obivous OP never read keats, or byron, or shelley, or ovid or virgil, horace etc.

OP is honestly just fucking stupid.

I feel this way but with video games.

no ur just an insufferable pretentious douchebag

OP is busy reading the genderfluid latinx womyn authors his gender studies professor assigned.

>sublime
look up what the sublime means and ask yourself if you really want to experience pants shitting awesomeness

>Is anyone else disillusioned with literature?
Fuck off

Hear, hear. Well said, Anonymous.

Kill yourself.

Dude it's just media, why defend it with your honor?

For the same reason I defend my waifu.