Does the thought and concept of oblivion after death scare you or comfort you?

Does the thought and concept of oblivion after death scare you or comfort you?

I don't like it -- but if you think about it, the oblivion before you were born was not too bad...

Neither. Life is not meant to last forever. Eternal life would be the equivalent of hell. Even if we pretend aging stops, and the heat death of the universe.

Considering the possibility requires you to believe in a soul. Life can't end if it doesn't exist in the first place after all.

Not long ago I was fearful, and went to a church, had a conversation with an Orthodox priest about the subject. He told me a short story. Imagine someone, a wanderer, who travels through a desert in a constant sandstorm. With him he carries a jewel, very precious to nobody but himself. He walks, walks, and walks. He goes through all kinds of problems carrying this diamond. Thirst, pain, loneliness, disease. There is a point he just drops dead in the sand, and the diamond he has carried through his entire journey also drops. The sand buries the traveler, and, most importantly, the diamond. The whole journey has been for nothing. The end. There is nothing else to this sad story. One can dream about an afterlife. An alternative happy ending to the story. But there isn't one. He tells me anyone who doesn't fear death has neither been to a sandstorm nor ever had a diamond of their own. Do not listen to the fools who say they don't fear death. They have nothing to lose. They are travelers who don't carry anything in their journeys. People who were never alive in the first place.

And of what exact value is the diamond?

It kind of scares me. It means that I can only ever be conscious, since I can't perceive non-being. And I'm not especially fond of being conscious. It makes me want to find a way to live peacefully.

Everything.
If you had to ask, you most certainly don't hold one.

Why do people pretend this is a perfectly logical belief?

Which belief?

You are not a special snowflake.
When you die, there is no God. You just die.
It's not a belief, it's science.

>when humans die, somehow something is irreversibly lost even though nothing in the universe works that way
>claims people who don't believe this are snowflaking

>he thinks arrangements of matter are something in the same way matter is

People in the future might not have to worry. They'll be techno-liches with android bodies and digital minds.

>but only if those arrangements are what we arbitrarily label "human", otherwise it's all just inanimate matter

>my opinions are objective truths of the universe

truly, the autistic religion

the capacity for abstract thinking by its very nature elevates human thought above most natural phenomena.

Nobody exists on purpose.

I'm not afraid of death but I fear the pain I will feel as I am dying. I am extremely averse to pain, hopefully I'll die quickly.

>t. the abstract thought itself

Dumbest post here

It does neither, it literally does not matter to me now because it won't matter to me when I'm dead because I'll be dead, obvy.

>fucking diamondfags

two free hands master race here.

If only he had spared you the csb, and instead presented you with evidence to support the claim that his god actually exists.

Imagine preferring logical beliefs over fairy tales. The horror!

It never really did, but recently Ive found death terrifying. I think its because my gf and I are approaching marriage, and I am realizing that if we stay together one of us will die first, or that we will have kids who will see us become old and die.

I wonder if this is a normal consequence of growing up. Like, when you are in your 20s, you dont matter, and you know that. You know it just doesnt matter if you are alive. Your 20s are a time of risks and exploration, so catastrophe is understood.

Ha nice way to put it

The fact that this horrific existence comes to an end is the only thing that brings me comfort. The only reason I haven't pulled the plug my own damn self is because I'm terrified of the process of dying.

Can't w8

Both. I mean I enjoy existing but I've also not existed before and can't conjure any emotional response to that fact.

Unless maybe oblivion is awful and that's why babies are crying when born.

No such thing exists, as your actual self, consciousness, never ceases. There was never a time where you were not conscious nor will there ever be a time where you are not. Among all the temporary things in life from possessions to ones own mind, consciousness is eternal. It's there when you wake, it's there when you sleep, it was there in your past life and it'll be there in your next life if you do not attain Moksha.

Existence itself is actually a very blissful thing and not horrific at all. It's merely that material existence, called samsara, is full of suffering. The suffering persists until one escapes samsaric process. If one hasn't attained Moksha in life it's possible to attain liberation from samsara at the time of death by fixing ones mind upon God. However, if one thinks of worldly things such as the misery of leaving his wealth behind or his family, then he attains another body and is reborn again into suffering,

24-carat horseshit, the post.

The reason no-one remembers any consciousness before they were born is because they had none. They will go back to having none after they die.

I don't remember what I ate for breakfast a week ago, but that does not that mean I didn't eat breakfast. I don't remember what I dreamed about last night but that doesn't mean I didn't dream. I don't remember what happend in my part lives but that doesn't mean I didn't have them. Memory is a faculty of mind, not consciousness. Consciousness is superior to mind.

I won't die. I'll regenerate.

That's kind of funny because I have the same complaint about religious folk and psychedelic loving idiots. Metaphors and figures of speech cannot accurately describe something. I've been saying that for years whenever people get too abstract while trying to describe something. Rhetoric is great for making your thoughts sound more appealing than they are, but rhetorical devices have no place in a serious discussion. Metaphors and figures of speech are rhetorical devices that express vague ideas but make them sound better.

A diamond in the desert analogy says you hold something valuable in a bad place but is incredibly vague. It says nothing while implying that it says something important. This particular example is actually an awesome rhetorical device though. You've got so much room to verbally maneveur and so many logical fallacies to back others into.

Is the analysis of language an autistic thing? Or is it possibly just a verbal intelligence thing?

This, I'm going to miss it

>not being a handful of diamonds in each pocket master race
Literally best of both worlds, non-diamond fags are so annoying

>b-but we'll all end up the same regardless!
Ending up forgotten =/=. Meaningless existence, being a diamondless fag does, two hands is no longer an excuse.

Hi, Morty

its really counter productive to think about death

its like staring into the sun

Damn but you still can be wrong

Because you are thinking with a human brain full of temporal concepts. When you are eternal, there are no future no past, only present.

Animals live an eternal life, there is no future in their minds, only a present et it's not like hell for them.

So is light eternal?

This needs to be up there with retarded quotes like "Just because you are correct doesn't mean your right"

That's a bad comparison. That quote includes an obvious contradiction. The original quote is just obviously true for everyone but with pretty obvious existential implications. I think most people would say that an obvious but true statement is less bad than a contradiction.

Also, here's a pile of kittens to un-russel your jimmies.

The quote actually makes sense if you consider correct = factual correct and right = morally right. The point being it's a quote that's horribly put even if it makes sense, also it's overused and Rick and Morty references are getting annoying.

A better quote to compare it to would be "people die if they are killed" I guess.

Have a counter offer of a loli for those kittens.

I actually originally added a line about them both being bad after only a surface level reading but then deleted it during the proof reading phase.

Here's an even cuter kitten for your good humor.

>The question
Both, or more precisely, depending on how you analize it. The need for excessive analysis may have some relation to autism, but ones ability to use and interpret rhetoric (especially in explaining more complex and multifaceted things) comes from the verbal inteligence.

sauce on the animu?

learn to use google brainlet

kara no kyoukai

Therefore, as Epicurus famously said, "death is nothing to us." When we exist, death is not; and when death exists, we are not. All sensation and consciousness ends with death and therefore in death there is neither pleasure nor pain. The fear of death arises from the belief that in death, there is awareness.

The fear arises from thinking your awareness is unique. Hint: it's not.

I had a very real quasi-near death experience on DMT. At first I was scared but then I let go and was perfectly at peace flying through the tunnel, I got to some kind of abating room that was a forest with blue holographic trees of impossible geometry. Then I came back to life. Before I blasted off I had been obsessing over suicide, mostly to do with the anthropocene. now I value being alive above all else but I am not the least bit afraid to die if it happens. I live for the sake of it instead out of obligation to the things I love. It's still a hard life but it's life.

How could you fear death? Are you sure you still want to stay in this ride? I can't wait to fucking die. I want out. If I had an easy, painless, "ideal" suicide method I would have done it already.

sounds pretty comfy

Try and imagine absolute freedom. The more thought you put into it the closer you'll get to imagining lack of existence.

its too good to be true.
life is a dream we are eternal, it never ends.
death is a lie, you awake from death as if from a dream.

...what happens if another traveler finds your diamonds?

Beautifully put

Just gonna put a stake into the ground as to why no logically thinking person should /ever/ fear death. I'm not saying this'll make you want to go embrace it, but it'll definitely ease the fear.

2 Foundations:
>"Why shall I fear death, for it cannot exist when I do?"
>"Death is the closing of the conscience, something we experience at least once every night when we sleep, in the form of dreamless nights."

Mind the latter statement isn't scientifically sound, and I can't recall a source to quote, but it isn't wrong when you take it at face value. The phenomena of death is essentially like an endless, dreamless sleep, from which you never wake up from. It isn't painful destruction. It isn't your eternal removal from life. And that brings up the former statement, it 'cannot be when you are'. You will never "experience death", you will merely just cease experiencing life. Death is like a shadow or the cold, in that it isn't an actual presence or individual phenomena, but a lack thereof. Death is just the lack of life. And you are only /you/ when /you/ are alive. You will never experience it.
So death is simple, peaceful, and painless. It's a reminder of why we take the shows of force of the universe' nature of Nihilism to be at times light hearted or comedic. Because hand-in-hand, it isn't all too bad. That is, unless God is real. In which case, Is recommend just doing what I did and follow the Aurelian Religious Doctrine and Pascal's Wager, because why the fuck not.

1. Define soul.
2. Provide evidence for the existence of a soul.

Then you end up with one of the potential "true afterlives" of death. If life truly is just a collection of our memories and the ability to experience phenomena, then that means our life can be recreated and hence brought back in the distant future, possibly even on accident by some alien race. And who knows what lies beyond that. Immediately being out back down maybe? Or a life of slavery? Or maybe humanity in millions of years, when we have evolved past the point of "human" and may have found some way to immortalized ourselves will be on a project to bring all dead back to life by simulating every possible kind of memory. Or perhaps two asteroids smashing together in the void of space will somehow re-trigger your existence for a fraction of a second. Who knows.

Point being, you may come back without being asked if you'd like to.

Very high building, m80. The splat will be severe and you will feel nothing.

Helium has poisoning or falling asleep in a car with the carbon monoxide redirected sound like the best to me, I've been legit fantasizing about ending it those ways for months now but haven't enacted on it because my financial burdens would have to be passed on to friends and family.

>falling asleep in a car with the carbon monoxide redirected sound like the best to me

Tried that one. It's no good, mate. Nasty.

I tried hanging myself. The helium or car method are DRASTICALLY better in comparison to say a noose or jumping off a building.

If you can actually manage to seal off oxygen intake and loss of carbon monoxide as much as possible, and make certain that you are actually /asleep/ for the process rather than waiting for the gas to knock you out, then it isn't too bad at all.

>make certain that you are actually /asleep/ for the process rather than waiting for the gas to knock you out

That's the tricky part. How do you start the car after you fall asleep?

You fall asleep immediately after starting the car. You take a heavy but non-lethal dosage (since you're trying to kill your self of gas, not painful bodily malfunctions) of either some sort of sleeping aid or drug. Can be alcohol, sleeping pills, weed, whatever does it for ya. Just make sure you're battling the want to sleep by the time you're finishing setting up and turning on the car.

>that image
Cringe.

It only comforts those who have given up, I think.

Maybe it's the opposite and babies are crying because they were brought into existence.

A long time ago it did.
Then I realized that being surrounded by you faggots was a thousand times worse.

:3

When you die you reincarnate as a antifa faggot "Hillary 2020 - its her turn now!" feminist cuck. Best not die.