Since there is no dedicated board for psychology, I'll go ahead and post this here...

Since there is no dedicated board for psychology, I'll go ahead and post this here. Depression has been on the rise in our society for the last few decades. More and more young kids are committing suicide, succumbing to drug use, and falling prey to this banal, narcissistic culture purported by the figureheads of popular culture. I'm no exception to this, I lost all active desire to do anything. I'm not sad, no. It's just that everything is boring. Life seems to have lost all essence of vitality and purpose. Does anyone else experience the same? If so how do you deal with it? How do you suggest I deal with this ? Does it need a chemical cure? Or a psychological cure?

>inb4 kys

youtu.be/E8tgLNgXCLA

Link: Porcupine Tree ~ Fear of a blank planet.
Sums up what I'm talking about I suppose.

Other urls found in this thread:

a.co/gFkGVQM
youtube.com/watch?v=9aLQPNPlK5M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Idk know much about psychology but how much of an impact does depression have on the physical side of the body?

Fatigue is a major effect of depression

I think I may be depressed, too. All do 24/7 is shitpost on Veeky Forums and fantasize about hurting the people here. I feel nothing but disgust and hatred for the losers and retards who clog this board. Probably doesn't help that I live alone and make my living through online scams.

Also to try and answer your question. I know jack about psychology, but I assume that the brain makes chemicals to make it feel/act a certain way. If there's a way that we can find out what chemicals affect the brain and how then maybe some sort of chemical therapy could be used. But what do I know? This is the first time I've been on Veeky Forums

Maybe you don't hate the retards clogging this board. Maybe you hate yourself.

Maybe you need adventure in your life. How about joining the army?
>t. totally not a US army recruitment officer

Haha a bit too late for that. Almost finishing my engineering degree. Also, I smoke like a chimney.

What are you doing here though? PSYOP?

Veeky ForumsOP

MK Ultra

Or I hate both.

Honestly if I met anyone on Veeky Forums in person, it would take every ounce of will in my body not to put us both out of our misery, then and there.

We should hang out.

Depression is on the rise because we encourage everyone to be pussies instead of beating the faggot out of them.

i know a guy just like you who was in my EE program at uni

lived off online scams, hated everyone, eventually stopped coming to class and flunked out

There are a lot of ways to help fight depression, but the two most important ones (assuming you're taking care of the obvious problems in life like lack of social interaction and being a failure at your chosen life goals) are:

1) daily vigorous exercise
2) meditation

If you don't have these, especially number one, your risk of depression is high.

Elaborate on these online scams

Modern society likely isn't conducive to the psychological well being of humans, in so far as it often conflicts with the environment and behaviors that we evolved to have (i.e. you, as a social animal, are meant to live in a group of around a few dozen. If you live in a city, however, your brain is bombarded with, potentially, thousands of new faces every day.)

There was a recently published book by a war journalist who wanted to explore why so many young men returning home from combat zones pined to go back to what a "sane" person should consider hell. It discusses why modern life can be not so great for the human animal from a genetic and anthropological perspective. You might find it interesting.

Tribe by Junger:
a.co/gFkGVQM

Hi, Welcome to Veeky Forums!

>Depression has been on the rise in our society for the last few decades

Citations needed

>More and more young kids are committing suicide, succumbing to drug use, and falling prey to this banal, narcissistic culture purported by the figureheads of popular culture

Again, citations needed. Also, define "banal".

>Modern society likely isn't conducive to the psychological well being of humans

What studies have you conducted to come to this conclusions?

You take responsibility. You decide what you want to do with your life and you try to do it. If you are a man, take responsibility. Think about what you want to do. Think of a goal, what do you want to do with your life? How do you do it? And then do it. The reason you are depressed is most likely because you have a nihilistic mindset. And you have a nihilistic mindset because you are afraid to take responsibility, because taking responsibility is hard, it means you can fail. But without responsibility there is no failure, no worries, nothing. Just depression.

Depression happens because humans are not programmed to live like kings. Remember that we're just animals? Our DNA programs us to feel inclined to breed, work, fight, survive. Naturally, when we achieve a status of ever lasting survival, when life becomes really easy, we feel depression. It is a natural response. Our lives aren't supposed to be easy, the environment we created for ourselves is not where we belong, this wasn't supposed to happen, DNA didn't account for this, so to speak, as it didn't have to. When we achieve what we have achieved as a species, life just loses its purpose, its meaning, and everything seems boring. That's depression. And that's why depression is much more prevalent in countries with higher technology levels and higher life quality when those in countries of, say, Africa, are not so depressed. There are a few things that can help you deal with depression, and they ultimately involve making you live more like the humans from before these easy times. More physical exercise, paleo diet, go outside more. There are chemicals that cause it, but it's a natural effect of our lifestyle incompatible with our programming. The only way humanity can evade depression is by freeing consciousness from DNA, transferring it into some kind of robot without DNA or something like that, or just taking very effective anti-depressants.

>How do you suggest I deal with this ? Does it need a chemical cure? Or a psychological cure?
The cure is philosophical. But I don't know what it is yet, so I can't tell you.

If I survive the year I'll most certainly have found it. So don't order that exit bag yet; we might make it.

>If there's a way that we can find out what chemicals affect the brain and how then maybe some sort of chemical therapy could be used.
those are, in this case,called anti-depressents

>u

the real reason there's so many saddies is called CULTure
>u no work 4 me??? fuck u! die!!!
slavery was renamed and normalized
enough bs about
>too good/easy a life makes u sad xd
it's all in the mind
>freeing consciousness from DNA
>implying it's confined to the DNA it creates

>transferring it into some kind of robot without DNA or something like that, or just taking very effective anti-depressants.
great bait

I'm sick of writing this again and again in these threads. Take some Bupropione (or Sertraline) if needed together with some antipsychotic Aripiprazol - both prescribed by your psychiatrist, do some sport, force yourself to leave your bed early in the morning, spend time with people/outside instead of spending all day at home, do cognitive behavioral therapy with a real therapist (don't do depth psychology or psychoanalytical shit), don't waste your time with childhood trauma, work on your symptoms in therapy and you'll see that together with aforementioned medication you will overcome this disease. I did not only work in mental wards, I used to have severe depression myself. If the diagnosis is correct (F33.2 of ICD-10) and not symptom of another disease (for example personality disorder) than there is cure by SSRIs and CBT. Go see a psychiatrist, check your thyroid levels (blood test) and do a MR scan of your brain to rule out somatic causes. Get well user.

>curing sad feels
>with anything other than will and action
your 'advice' is absolute shit tier
>just take lobotomy pills are you'll feel much better, like me :)

There's no actual divide between chemical and psychological, because mental precesses are the manifestation of millions of physical and chemical interactions.

Also classical depression (for a lack of a better word) has an end of its own, emphasis on "classical". In my case (not classical, I have personality disorder) I suffered roughly 5 years before I treated myself (only the depression). The worst was the feeling of not being able to feel anything, not even being able to cry, nevertheless I was dragging myself through life it was like I put myself in an now empty "oven of life force" as living firewood, I felt like part of me (the missing firewood) died along the way without me having noticed in time. Things made no fun anymore, I couldn't study anymore, at best I managed to
read 1 page even though I stared at my books for 8 hours per day.

Shut the fuck up brainlet. Have you studied medicine? I have. Depression isn't sad feels, it's disbalance of specific neurotransmitters. While the cause is still unknown, the treatment I suggested is backed up by studies. Dysfunctional fundamental convictions like yours are the cause of people not seeking needed help and eventually killing themselves because the disease gets unbearable. It's like suggesting to just bear a badly broken bone and healing it with will and action alone instead of getting your fucking bone fixed with osteosynthesis. Yes it may heal good enough if the fracture is simple, but it may as well get fucked up and hurt a long time. There is no need to suffer of this shit, unlike your lack of brain depression is treatable in most cases (as long as diagnosis and therapy are correct). And if you were able to read you would have seen that I suggested CBT as well because studies show that it works as good as (!) lege artis medication in moderate cases of depression, combined it's even better.

>While the cause is still unknown
The cause is only "unknown" from the most low level, mechanical perspectives. A mechanistic approach to understanding and quantifying systems so dynamic with so many intertwined factors is difficult, and ultimately, unnecessary. We know enough. We have the means. The high level abstractions and heuristics map very well already, and the human species has been at this for a very, very, long time.

There are a number of causes and clusters that begin to become apparent over large and variable populations. One is inflammation, which entails downstream changes that ultimately reduces serotonin release. And for good reason. Forcing it to release, or stay in the synapse, potentiates the formation of free radicals and reactive quinones. There's the psychological factors and our garbage excuse for a culture, full of the cult of positive thinking and clamoring for hope down an avenue that is clearly hopeless and long has been. Another is chronic exposure to pulsed microwave fields, which alters neurotransmitter release, neuron activation patterns, and ultimately causes brain damage and reduction of dendritic spine arborization. Also reduces melatonin secretion and upregulates product of beta-amyloid in peripheral tissues. Garbage food quality (content, pesticide and herbicide exposure), poor sleep, and high stress.

You've unfortunately bought into the "chemical imbalance" perspective, and the underlying assumption of your proposed solution is that it's a mysterious hard mechanical failure that is simply occurring, and must simply be fixed with pharmacological intervention. Which is, honestly, clearly nonsense. There are many factors that influence and create "state", and many ways to interface with a given system and its problems. People are stuck on a false "mystery" always looking for the "answer". We have the answers, we just have to actually try to use them.

Rob Whittaker has exposed some interesting things about SSRIs, one study showing that SINGLE bouts of exercise are better for your mental state ("I feel depressed") than taking the drugs.

Stopping all bad habits can be quite a daunting task but it is all you have and you are not a pussy so stfu and do it anyway... Day by day slowly.

There have also been large scale meta-analysis that showed SSRIs are no better than placebo in all but the most severe types of cases, but carry many negatives.

The "take it just to get yourself back on your feet, then you won't need it" thing is also bullshit. That doesn't happen. People just learn to function and feel slightly more comfortable in the very misery that tore them down to begin with. I believe SSRIs do not fix depression, they just prevent things from connecting.

>I feel depressed
>I think I might be depressed
go to a doctor's and tell him/her that, if you need help you will most certainly get help
t. psychology student

>end up at psychiatrist who has more life issues than you
>here take these pills it will work
>does fucking nothing

But hey, at least the jews got their money.

I see that picture and think there is a lack of goals and maybe an excess of resources being assigned to perception due to anxiety.

I started drinking heavily the past year to numb my depression (after a poorly judged prescription of Paxil threw me into a suicidal state).

I admit that regularly exercising does wonders for my emotional state, but more than often I don't take that route. My biggest issue with depression is that first step (getting out of bed, leaving the house, etc) seems insurmountable most days.

Others in this thread mentioned that humans just aren't built for this cushy lifestyle we all enjoy, and in my experience that's probably the most accurate theory. I have a good job, a good home, and i never have to worry where my next meal is coming from. But it seems like it's all at the cost of socializing.

I've been diagnosed as bipolar but I can't help but think it's just because I can't fit into the mold I'm being forced into. My moments of mania are an attempt to break out of it, and my bouts of depression are my forfeiture to the overwhelming pressure of "being responsible".

I've been to countless therapists, and none of them seem to get what I'm saying. Am I all alone?

>succumbing to drug use
There is literally nothing wrong with drug use

Just use Piracetam for 5 weeks at 2x800mg once in the morning and in the evening. Halve doese after that for a week then stop. After that you take 5-Uridinmonophosphate 250mg in the morning and 100mg midday,+ in the morning 200mg cdp-choline and 400mg dha and eha fishoil and most importantly folicacid or you will damage your dna. Boom now you dont have depression and feel like you could do anything you want without addiction or major side effect. I can go into detail, just ask.

Chronic depression reporting in.
I think popsci is a player. not for me, personally, but in general. The youth get fed a hard materialism antitheist world view because it's the smart thing to do and then they have their first existential crisis and have rejected philosophy and religion so hard that they can't handle it.

People on sci shit on religion but it popped up on humanity for a reason. People on average need to beleive that if they try their best and give two shits that everything will be alright. Modern society is in a pubescent stage: we have rejected our old gods without the power to become new ones. People in these times will die before the fruit of technological progress essentially replaces God , but after they can no longer hope for God themselves.

If you actually get to talk to a psychiatrist you're lucky. Usually they'll just prescribe you SSRIs at the slightest hint of depression. If you suggest you'd rather not take them they'll just tell you a third of the population is on them, so no worries! How about these SNRIs?

Although psychiatrists I've found to be a waste of time. Just going over the same old shit again and again. If you have any capacity for introspection they won't tell you anything you don't know already and can't advice you.

The cold truth is you're pretty much on your own with depression. Family and friends help, but the mental health machinery is useless and even detrimental.

This might sound barmy, but try writing how you feel down or typing it out sometime and just present that to the therapist. Sometimes people convey themselves better in text/writing than through speech.

Not trying to call you a slack-jawed gobshite or anything; just that I know I'm that way myself.

Please go into more details. As in, what was and is your mindset, how did you and do you feel now, did something else change in your life, and most importantly, what is the logic in taking the products you recommend, and is there a source for it?

>increased diagnosis is increased incidence

Did you know that if you write your Gmail password in the post, it would get replaced by stars?! Like this: **********

I need to go again . I will post later alot of detail

Overstimulus/boredom and the fact people compare themselves to the faux happy images hailing from the media and everywhere around.

This is what you Veeky Forumsfags get for taking cheap shots at the humanities, veritable incompetence and fundamental misunderstandings of the human condition. Most people (not all, no shit) aren't depressed *because* of deficient or imbalanced neurotransmitters as the source of ultimate practical responsibility, it's because something's fucked up in your life on a functional level. For some it's conspicuous - they got fired, they're getting divorced, their parents died, they got cancer, but for others it could be as simple as having had poor parental guidance, no examples, no positive affirmation, lack of conscientiousness spiraling out of control. This is the real source of most peoples' melancholy. Only by changing your understanding of values as they are authentic to your own conscience (most people are less conscientious of this than you might think, the death of God is real), or by affirming life beyond nihilism to the point where you can at least get out of bed to make breakfast and then go jogging for an hour (and this before you even think about having any lifelong priorities or projects that you believe are inherently meaningful and worth suffering for) - likely both, really - can you pull yourself out of your depression. Read Nietzsche, you sick fucks.

>tfw been depressed for so long i dont feel sad anymore, sometimes i wish i could but as soon as i do i instantly repress it
i dont want a hug anymore
i dont want to be around people
i just want to be left alone but that sucks

>tried exercise like hiking and such but eventually seeing enough people on the same trails made my social phobia kick in
>tried seeing a professional but they either want to push meds on you or talk about things you already know the answers to
>tried working in places with positive normal people, what a fucking nightmare that was
>try to pick up a hobby like gardening or soldering but fail

my whole life is a mess, physically and mentally, and as soon as i start trying to pick up the pieces i realize how far i have to go just to get peace of mind. the best thing that's come from this is the death of my ambitions, i let go of any possibility of getting a gf, or degree, or working above blue collar because it really hurt to think about how many times i've failed those basic things.

but hey, its not all bad. one day i might kill myself and in the meantime i can just use drugs so my existence isn't pure suffering anymore. I guess im not all gone like i'd like to think, i realize how hearing this would make my parents feel and that sucks, but making my parents proud has never been able to motivate me, so that feeling is stuck in limbo.

THAT is depression

I am back. First of i am an outliner. Its hard to compare yourself to me. All my decisions led me to a point in life where i started taking drugs. Almost all of them with the exception of Heroin and Meht. I never took a IQ test but i always considered my self as gifted and thought drugs can harm me but i have enough to lose without it being a problem. I was proven wrong. I had triped alot on LSD an loved it. I was searching for the strongest trip i could find and i was soon confronted with scopolamine. I did a little researched and i decided to take it. This was the first time i had decided to take something with so little research. Well it was a few days after a very long weekend on xtc. I found out how to synthesize(kinda , i life in germany and i used a few otc medicine, as i had no access to datura) it and did it the next day. The thing is i didnt purify it and i thinl it had a few other active compunds in it. I wanted to take 10mg but it turned out that i took 50mg which is 50% of a lethal dose. Oh man . This retarded idea costed me so much. I was 7 day in dilerium and another 5 days i couldnt see right , as i had dilated pupils all the time. I never came back from that. My character was shatterd, my self in pieces. I was rly popular and was in the best gymnasium in town at that time. I lost it all. I started researching neurochemistry to understand how the fuck to fix it. It was hard as i couldnt focus and this apathy and brainfog. Until i found noots. I have specific cycles to stay normal without taking noots all the time. My last one was 10 months ago and slowly my problems come back, its time for the next cycle.

All personal bs aside:

Your genes completly determine how you going to react to Noots. So you might not respond at all but its worth the try. Piracetam works almost for everyone.
It decreases the acetylcholine “levels“ in a certain part of your brain and increases them in a different part. At this part i need to add that we are still in the stonge age of brainchemistry and we know batshit rly. This breaks up the monotone mindset of depressed people. Its modulates NDMA receptors through cAMP as a typical ampkine. You might as what the fuck does this mean?Well even people who studied this donz know. They can only tell you that this is associated with memory forming. The only problems occur when you stop taking this cold turkey or take far to much which causes excitotoxity(Your glutamate receptors get killed by all the ca2+ activty).

Normal antidepressants dont rly work by just inhibiting the reuptake of serotonin but what happens because of that. The brain always trys to remain in homeostasis and does it with different mechanisms. Example building tolerance by drug addicts. The brains reacts to thw excess serotonin stuck there ( as SERTs are blocked by the ADs) with more dopamine autoreceptors in the prefrontal cortex. This lead to a net of 5% more dopamine receptors in the prefrontal cortex after prolonged intake of most ADs. Uridin does the same thing but without fucking you for life as ADs do. Its increases the DA-receptor count by 20 fucking % after 2-4 months. Uridin normally doesnt cross the bbb but as 5-ump it does and by doing so, it ramps up the expression of the gene which modulates the count of the DA-receptors in the prefrontal cortex. But be warned without taking enough folicacid research suggest that uridin starts to replace parts of your dna , the wrong way lol. But as long you take folicacid you will be safe. Its only one paper suggesting it and they tested modified neurons in a dish which had no real cell membrane or smth. Ah and dont drink coffee. Coffein blocks uridin in the brain. So only one coffee a day. Have to again.

anyonereadingthisafaggot123

Time to launch your own chapter of Project Mayhem.

I know what you are talking about

You're a fucking idiot

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

Your whole post is clouded in "muh feelins" instead of empirical data.

if numbers confirm what you're spouting then you have something, OP.

Being intelligent and individual in today's society is tough and damaging, leftism has seen to that.

Basically you go through life feeling shit, trying to fit in, having no identity or purpose - then it gets to you and you finally become completely depressed. After that you form yourself properly and realize all of society is being warped and shaped in a disgusting attack on you and you form a decent, motivated personality and become happy.

There are many causes and things to say about this, but here's an aspect I think contributes in a significant way, at least worth mentioning. Increasingly we're living in a world where everything is "normalised" where previously they were an outlier, if that. And media has the tendency to focus on that. So for example take the aftermath of the tower attacks and the Iraq/Afghan wars and try to consider them in their entirety, it was just a long sequence of events where nothing made any sense whatsoever. But it was presented and retold in a way so utterly simplistic and ahistorically that people were made to feel like they were the most normal and sensble things in the world.
And don't forget that back then, tens of millions of people worldwide took to the streets for days to stop it from happening in the first place, but were totally ignored, giving rise to the sense that despite all our grand ideals and systems, nobody really had any power to change anything, even collectively. We were suddenly all trapped.
Now consider how that's really just the tip of the iceberg, the most visible and sore of everything going on all the time, and you arrive in a world where nothing is special, out of the ordinary, and no one has any power over maybe anything other than how much calories they consume or if you're very lucky, how much money you make. The consequence of which is that we exist in a state of going from witnessing one nonsensical event to the next inexplicable one, and we are made to feel nothing about it, because it doesn't make sense, and more and more we cling to those rare few things that do make sense to us, retreating into our bubbles, whether it's our little circle of Facebook friends, consuming social media or TV or books or videogames, or our jobs, because those are things we can still grasp. And we are moved to not think about anything else, just to consume events and happenings and accept that we are powerless.

[cont]
The effect of which is to become despondent, and to stop caring about anything that doesn't make sense or is too complex to be explained as anything more meaningful than a simple fable. Everything is normal.

That's my poor attempt to explain the point of Hypernormalisation, but fully understanding the whole thing might require seeing the previous documentaries too, be warned it's heavy stuff and I'm not sure I would watch it depressed (I don't suffer from depression I think, just natural occasional sadness and a fair bit of weltschmerz). Maybe it's all just in our heads, but the thing is if I compare how I felt about the world, myself, and people when I was young to now, there has to be an explanation to account for the difference that goes beyond "shit happens" and "life's a bitch" and "you grew up" and whatnot, because they are not satisfactory.

I also think depression or at least sadness are natural and normal states of being, considering for a moment what all our ancestors went through, and that the relentless pursuit of and societal pressure towards finding happiness are not, and exacerbate the difficulties of our already complex lives, reducing us to creatures expected to behave in ways that most closely resemble how the economic models predict we do. Effectively robbing us perhaps of even what little control we had over our lives that still remained. Sorry for the wall of text.

youtube.com/watch?v=9aLQPNPlK5M
(I know this is 4chen but beware graphic stuff)

You are pretty much right.

Now I'm just going to blast test to see if that helps. I'm done caring.