Applied Mathematics vs. Pure Mathematics

Applied Mathematics vs. Pure Mathematics

who would win in a bar fight?

doesn't matter. distinction between the two is mostly unimportant

that sounds kinda dumb considering most if not all software utilizes applied mathematics in a myriad of fields.

Applied is just pure with ways around the hiccups

what I thought pure vs applied math was:
math with proofs Vs math without proofs

what it actually is:
autistic inconsistent math Vs clueless but functional mutt math, both without sufficient proofs

what I thought happened:
pure math came first, applied math came after

what actually happened:
applied math came first, pure math only recently became something apart from science, and its quality suffered greatly since then

what I expected pure mathematicians to be:
greatest philosophy kings on the planet, great teachers with a great grip on reality

what I found out about pure mathematicians:
overspecialized drug fueled academia bureaucrat schizos without any great general intelligence

what I expected applied mathematicians to be:
superengineers, able to use all the knowledge they have spent years learning in academia for the benefit of society

what I got:
horny memers, they have learned to imitate math processes but are actually horrible at problem solving because they thought they could memorize their way into the moon without any serious individual logic

Between the two fucking retards, who I love and respect by the way, applied math wins because they want to be useful.

I do adderall.

>who would win in a bar fight?
Applied mathematicians tend to truncate decimals. There's no bar notation to be found. So pure maths wins by default.

so what you're saying is you should've gone physics

Its basically Grothendieck vs Von neumann

The Pure Grothendieck vs Applied Von Neumann.

Both have huge brains / heads.

There is no such thing as applied mathematics. Mathematics is mathematics.

It's a guy with split personality disorder fighting himself like that guy in fight club.

Thank you for posting this.

Ayy lmao

Pure, because Applied is sloppy.

the autism is strong with this one

>greatest philosophy kings on the planet
I, too, expected this. Then I found out they were badically just shallow platonists. Eugh.

Kinda dumb considering most if not all math used in software was considered pure math before the 1940's. smhtbhfam

>1940s software
Like what source filmmaker?

Hah! That was good user

>applied math came first, pure math only recently became something apart from science, and its quality suffered greatly since then

>differential geometry is pure math memery
>special and general relativity

>complex numbers is pure math memery
>electrical engineering

>boolean algebra is pure math memery
> Shanon's thesis, development of digital design that we use today

>man those autists developing algorithms before we have the technology to implement them sure are retarded
>computer science

see, this is what happens when you major in engineering and your idea of ''pure math'' is anything more complicated than multivariable calculus.

If we want to be literal and suppose two burly males entered into a bar fight, the only difference is one knows pure math and the other knows applied math, then obviously applied math would win in a literal bar fight.

Applied obviously because pure math has no actual power in the real world.

i only know of one applied math professor or student who goes to the gym, that said, i'm easily 6 inches taller than him. I cannot say the same of applied. So i gotta go with applied.