Don Quixote Read Through

We start tomorrow and I do not see a thread so I am just making one. I believe the translation everyone agreed on reading is the one from Grossman.

>not reading it in its original language
sure is pleb here

Read it in Urdu if you will, just participate in the discussion.

Yay!

I'm reading the ormsby translation. I got impatient and started reading last night. I'm on chapter xii

I will read along, should be fun...

I only have the Rutherford translation am I an pleb?

Should Bloom's introduction be read? A lot of intros end up spoiling books or are just pointless, but some are actually helpful and pretty interesting. What category does this one fall into?

Spoilers.

I speak a pretty decent amount of Spanish, but I learned more Mexican style Spanish than Castilian. Will I be able to read it in the Spanish or will I need a >translation

I've heard there is less difference between Cervantes' Spanish and the Spanish used today as there is between Shakespeare's English and English used today.
And it's pretty easy to read Shakespeare.

Senpai if you don't actually know the plot of Quijote I don't even know what's wrong with you.
Boss portuguese is my first language and I can read Quijote using a dictionary every fifteen minutes, you'll be fine.

also wondering if Rutherford is alright

so how many pages are we reading every day and how hard is it to read in comparison with War & Peace? I just finished the war & peace readthrough since i got behind during my exams, wonder if i'll be able to keep up when i have to put in time for university.

The daily reading dose is around 30 pages and I'd say that the book is a much lighter read than War and Peace.

Leave the introduction for after you have read, they usually include a lot of analysis and you will get much more out of it if you first get to know the work yourself.

I'm no expert in Don Quixote translations, but from what I've heard Rutherford is one of the better ones.

why read this if you haven't done so by fifteen years of age? it's utterly worthless unless you are exposed as a youth. if you insist, only read the manuscript left in the inn followed by the entire first and last chapter of the second book. you're welcome.

It was chosen by voting.

I read this book in about eight to ten days and almost went insane. I had a test on it and did poorly because I forgot how to write properly. No regrets tho

Nice quints!

I've missed all the other Veeky Forums read throughs so this will be my first one. Starting tonight, looking forward to it.

DAY ONE

Reading:
>Chapter 1 to 4

To kick off let's start with a simple topic, what, if any differences do you see between Don Quixote and the traditional knight ? What are your first impressions of our hidalgo ?

Reading the Ormsby translation because it's the one I had lying around.
It's not really that old fashioned seeming despite being from the 1700's.

What version is being used in regards to the reading guide?

I got the Penguin Classics translated by Rutherford, which has 74 chapters spread between two parts. I suppose I could just read 6 chapters a day through out the 13 days but I might be slightly ahead/behind everyone. I just don't want anything spoiled whether I post or read the thread.

The guide is just for the first half -52 chapters of part 1.
Part two itself is 74 chapters

LADS GET IN HERE, we already have a thread going. We are going to keep it running until it reaches the bump limit. I hope you all like the novel so far.

The painting looks like something Salvador Dali would paint if he was better.

Do you guys prefer Cervantes' or Pierre Menad's version of the book?