Help identify this oxide on 17-4 stainless steel

So recently I was bluing some carbon steel parts and decided to blue a 17-4 stainless steel part as well. I used liquid salt Peter 99.98 percent purity.
It developed this light but kinda dark golden/bronze oxide finish and now after about a week or so it's developing this brown tarnish.
What is this?
Is it damaging like normal rust?

Bump.

Bump.

You faggots are worthless.

Tl;Dr, yes it is rusting. Long version: 17-4 stainless has high amounts of chromium, nickel, and copper, all which completely change any oxidation profile you would see in a non-standard carbon steel, which is what makes it stainless.

www.wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/224335-can-you-blue-stainless.html

But is it harmful rust? And how is it rusting? It's 17-4 ss? This would just supposed to add a thin oxide film to help prevent corrosion even more.

why dont you just google this shit? you'd actually get an answer

I have and can't find anything.
This is the science board. I figure at least one of you is a chemist but instead everyone is just a faggot sperging abou about MUH ELON MUSK SPACEX when chemical rockets are shit and when nuclear slat rockets are better and a nuclear Verne gun is better for getting things into orbit.
/k/ would be more helpfu

Same fag

DUH samefag.
I was bumping the thread.

Looks like blurryasshitium

put that shit in an XRF machine, or a SEM with XRF capabilities, should provide the quickest answer

I have no idea where to find an xrf machine. Though probably my university's chemistry department has one.

this is a maths board; take your brainlet subject to Veeky Forums or something

Science AND math.
Lol chemistry is brainlet tier? You do realize that the reason you have all your food and not starving is thanks to the haber process? Same with your computers, and anything polymer and pretty much anything you own, right?
By the way Astro physicists have the highest average iq, not mathematicians. Applied physicists have a higher average iq as well. So not a brainlet.

>because it's useful it means it's not a brainlet subject
>because the practitioners have a higher intelligence as measured by an imperfect metric in an imperfect study it means that this intelligence is necessary or used to practice the said brainlet subject
imagine you tried to take philosophy or other non-brainlet subject when you can't even form a coherent argument

>physics Is a brainlet subject
>IQ ISNT REAL GUYS!
>the ability to use abstract concepts to engineer clever and engenius products from nothing is brainlet tier
>implying physics and chemistry and processor architecture doesn't involve a lot of very complex math especially theoretical physics and computer architecture and that those fields of study don't use specially made algorithms for x thing in complex computer software and that that isn't math
>lol no mathematics Nobel prize
>""""""philosophy is a non brainlet subject"""""
>philopshy is currently dominated by moron sophist cultural Marxists but it's not brainlet guys and ignore the fact that it's subjective
>solipsism isn't considered an interesting or noteworthy idea by contemporary philosophists
Weeeeeeeeewwwwww laaaaaaaaaaad

post a summary and i'll read it later

>guys like chemistry is so brainlet tier and philopshy is like totally not. Also I'm too lazy to read a few lines of text that should take less than half a minute but I'm not a brainlet, I promise.

thanks; good thing i didn't waste my time reading your autismal musings

That wasn't a summary, brainlet.

my conclusion still stands

>Asked for help from chemist not metallurgist
Triggered
No help for you

But fine whatever

What gives stainless steels their corrosion resistance is the chromium which forms chromium oxides on the surface. As this scale is eaten away, it reforms so it is said to passivate rather than simply being a barrier like paint. They are already there on all stainless steels, though they are usually thin enough you can’t see them. However, what you have done is increased the scale thickness past what it is at equilibrium, so the thick scale on the surface will act a barrier rather than passivating. Color of the scale to first order depends on the thickness of the scale due to thin film interference, and once it gets too thick it turns brown and then black.

Whether it is good or bad is going to depend on the application. Oxide scales on stainless steels are much more adherent than scales on low alloy steels. This causes lots of difficulties when forging and surface finishing.

If you are going to paint the part, having scale on the surface will cause the paint to adhere poorly to the surface because most polymer based paints will wet metals but not ceramics.

If this is going to be a load bearing component, it could be a problem as the scale is brittle compared to the underlying steel. As long as the scale adheres, it will give the material additional protection from corrosion. However, if the scale fractures it will cause accelerated corrosion because the potential difference between the two sites. Though it probably won’t be a big deal unless this is going to see harsh corrosive environment.

I should also mention if you are bluing your steel by tempering this will cause blue embrittlement. If you are doing it by chemical means as context implies though you should be fine.