Why does science progress despite nihilism?

I'm genuinely curious. Ever since I learned how the universe is supposed to die, I've lost all interest in science. I knew about my own dying and wasn't really bothered, but if the universe itself doesn't go on indefinitely, why should humankind as a whole even bother? It's ultimately no different no matter how far we go unless science, which is right about everything else, is suddenly wrong about how the universe begins and ends.

>Why does science progress despite nihilism?
because religious scientists don't fall for the nihilism meme

>meme
It's literally the only scientifically supported ideology. I e it's the truth

What's the science supporting nihilism?

Because we can live more comfortable lives and decrease human suffering.

Plus if you're sharp you can make good money and spend it on shit you enjoy doing with your brief time on earth for example
Hookers
Cocaine
Gambling
Drinks
Buffets
Steroids
Gym memberships
Hair products
Oxfam international
Books
Netflix membership

>Netflix membership
>not just torrenting everywhere

>steroids
Correct answer

I'm p entry level with my tv and movie consumption I'll admit

Muscles are fun. Plus I always feel realllllyy good on my cycles. Must be a confidence thing though.

Cosmology supports the universe is finite, monism supports two atomically identical structures are the same thing regardless of the time at which they are observed.

Thus a universe that hasn't existed yet and a dead one are the same, and since it'll stop existing there are no observers to give it value and thus scientifically nothing matters because religions are scientifically proven wrong.

fuck off mate, it's an excellent service for very cheap, and a model of what streaming services should be in order to stop piracy from happening in the first place

The shit they pulled with Little Witch Academia and are pulling with Fate/Apocrypha are not worth any value.

>it's an excellent service
allegedly

> and a model of what streaming services should be in order to stop piracy from happening in the first place
the only industry that's provided a decent alternative to piracy is gaming with Steam

private trackers will always have the advantage of
>getting to choose from multiple releases of a film, in standard or high definition
>no restrictions on what can be downloaded. I don't have to worry about netflix not having the license for something I want to watch, leading you to have to subscribe to multiple streaming services
>movie is usually torrentable before it's available for stream
>has a community of users you can interact with
>can watch screeners during award season
>can do whatever I want with the file if I don't have a connection for whatever reason (i.e. on airplane)

>The shit they pulled with Little Witch Academia and are pulling with Fate/Apocrypha
What shit are you referring to?

Finite universe? Finite beginnings, perhaps, but a flat universe will expand infinitely.

And it seems most people turn to nihilism only because "the universe is huge and I only live for a blink of a second, so nothing I do matters." Even though it's a total non sequitur.

Licensing anime and then not releasing anything until it is finished airing. No weekly simulcast. It's stupid and is bringing back fansubbing.

Also I'm not a fan of their politics, especially when they made a documentary defending Gawker in spite of the "we'll host CP" remark the idiot owner said in court. I'd rather not support them.

also
>a request system in case something's not there
>a notification system for when something you're looking forward to is uploaded (maybe netflix has this idk)

Who's to say we won't overcome the death of the universe with enough technology.

The death of the universe is literally billions of years away. Assuming that absolutely nothing will get in the way of that, is stupidity,

>monism
Boi you are so deep
>scientifically proven
Where I come from we take 20% off the top of undergraduate lab reports that use the word "prove" or "proof" in nearly any context. 0/10 see me

>Licensing anime and then not releasing anything until it is finished airing.
w-why do they do this

Because they think everyone who watches netflix will only watch shows on a binge.

Nihilism? They figured that shit out like 100 yrs ago in France or some shit.
>no meaning
>no god
>therefore we give ourselves meaning, we are god

And pretty much the u.s. gave the world a purpose (or path) after ww2.
-the goal: build a society that rivals or surpasses the complexity and efficiency of nature.
-the way to achieve the goal: money, technology, mass entertainment
We're nowhere close, capitalism is predicated on the assumption that resources are infinite; we gotta fix that shit. Energy, gotta figure out a better way. Most of us are sick mentally. Nowhere near close to a simulacrum of the brain, the internet is a start but it's not doing much is it. At least we got war out of the way, that is, today we play political sandpeople chess rather than drowning each other in blood.
So there is something worth doing and that thing is the thing we've doing since roads were invented. It has been a while since we tore it all down and rebuilt, some seem to think we need to do that again. We might get there someday. Is it worth it? Sure why not? Something to do? It's not really up to an individual to notice, fret, or direct it.

Getting a bit tired of brainlets coming on this board trying to assert the most scientifically pure worldview. Those of us doing real research are not impressed with how deep you are and frankly you don't know shit about what you are talking about.

Nihilism is for edgy fags stop finding excuses to be a loser because "muh die anyway"

>Most of us are sick mentally.
Only the sick say this.

I mean finite in the historical sense. Thanks to the laws of thermodynamics an infinitely expanding universe still has (relative to infinity) only a little while before heat death and nothing happening in it afterwards unless materialist eternal recurrence gets proven.

>"science has been right so far, so it must be right about the beginning and ending of the universe".
Buddy...
>nearly zero data for beginning of universe
>working Big Bang model is sketch as hell
>no data for end of the universe
>a million places we could be wrong in most areas of active study
Also, science hasn't been right about everything else so far. It's been wrong a million times and will be wrong a million more. Every time it is corrected and that's kind of the fucking point. Please keep up

To paraphrase the guy with the speech impediment on that gay ass 'dude science lmao' sitcom

"I spend my time writing grant proposals and spend the money on hookers and blow"

Hedonism is truly the patrician philosophy

no, its a hormones thing. test chemically gives you confidence.

>The New Creation
>Chapter 21
>The New Heaven and the New Earth. 1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth. The former heaven and the former earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 I also saw the holy city, a new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, God’s dwelling is with the human race. He will dwell with them and they will be his people and God himself will always be with them [as their God]. 4 He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, wailing or pain, [for] the old order has passed away.”
>5 The one who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” Then he said, “Write these words down, for they are trustworthy and true.” 6 He said to me, “They are accomplished. I [am] the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end. To the thirsty I will give a gift from the spring of life-giving water. 7 The victor will inherit these gifts, and I shall be his God, and he will be my son. 8 But as for cowards, the unfaithful, the depraved, murderers, the unchaste, sorcerers, idol-worshipers, and deceivers of every sort, their lot is in the burning pool of fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Because most researchers have a passion for what they are doing.

""""""""""""science""""""""""""" is your religion.

>why should humankind as a whole even bother?
For the same reason you don't simply stop eating and fizzle out, mechanically, your mind is such that it is better, and more valuable, to try to experience something decent before you die. The human species, ideally, would iteratively try to build something beautiful.

Unfortunately we are also wired to love adversity and despise stagnation. We love a good fight. There's been a lot of sci-fi centered around mankind solving all of its problems and creating a world where anything can be had any time, there is little if any pain, no primal and visceral hardship as far as sustaining one's body goes. That state was the twilight of the human species, and those in it were watching its dying embers. All meaning was lost. Space travel and a new frontier, ie spreading like the virus we are, likely would not solve this.

Etc. Lot to consider about the big picture and ultimate ideally course for the human species, the purpose and value system that should guide us. Not that I think we'll make it. We'll probably mostly kill ourselves off in the next ~10 - 20 years.

What kind of nihilism can you be more specific? I'm guessing merelogical nihilism. That's some hardcore stuff. Do not get it. Jk get fucked kid, take your ignorant philsophy back to the Wikipedia page you found it on.
Is this bait?

>if the universe itself doesn't go on indefinitely, why should humankind as a whole even bother?

Why should we bother if it does go on indefinitely? This is just a false dichotomy.

baka

There is more evidence for an infinite universe.
And how does it even matter? Just the observable universe is ridiculously huge.
Why bother with science? A possible way to extend our longevity and perhaps the longevity of the universal.
Also it allows us to improve our current lives, making existence more comfortable.
Nihilism is just effete absence of thought, because just living in moral relativism and thinking "nothing matters", is a lot easier than thinking about the ramifications.
You're nothing more than a religious defeatist.

>We'll probably mostly kill ourselves off in the next ~10 - 20 years.
Really fucking sick of this meme, people have been predicting apocalypse for thousands of years and anthropic apocalypse since after WW2.
When in the world has become less violent and it isn't in the majorities best interest to annihilate everyone.
Stop being an edgy Nostradamus because you think it gets you respect on Veeky Forums, it doesn't.

>Space travel and a new frontier, ie spreading like the virus we are
Fuck off with your misanthropy you edgy faggot, we're the only known species that has any likelihood of saving life (even nonhuman) from certain extinction.
Sure we've fucked up a bit, but we're healthier than a solar flare, or an impact event.
When're you edgy high schoolers going home?

because of autism

>Ever since I learned how the universe is supposed to die, I've lost all interest in science. I knew about my own dying and wasn't really bothered, but if the universe itself doesn't go on indefinitely,
???????????

What rubbish

>nihilism
babby's new werd

>in order to stop piracy from happening in the first place
I sub and use Netflix on occasion but its library is and forever will be at best a fraction of 0.01% and you'll always need to pirate things that can't be bought or streamed, just take documentaries for example, lots of those contain copyrighted footage that prevent them from ever making it to Amazon or Netflix

Their library is pretty good but it's not like you will find what you're looking for typing it into the search bar and you honestly shouldn't limit yourself to just what Netflix has.

As for OP the entire post makes zero sense to me, just because the universe will likely go through heat death and/or maybe begin anew doesn't mean everything that happens magically didn't happen.

a god with no power and hates himself. not really a god.

Pulsed microwave fields will eliminate the ability to produce viable offspring. It doesn't need to make much noise.

>misanthropy
Realism*. Most people can't handle the brutality of accepting the patterns of our history, and what we really are. If you stop constantly looking for hope, and engaging in cult-like "positive thinking" and "seeing the good", you'll be able to accept that things shake out in the same general ways almost every time. And if not at first, then later. We really are incredibly stupid and incapable of change, or foresight. Mankind's collective desire is a mad beast fit only to destroy and barrel forward until it finally destoys itself. We are a virus, and either we'll replicate and spread, or we'll die with our host cell.

>religions are scientifically proven wrong.
They aren't. Go back to R,ddit.

>What is technology?
That basic thought just obliterated your whole argument.

Technology only affords the means to be the same thing in a slightly different way.

>capitalism is predicated on the assumption that resources are infinite

u wot