Americans and celcius

Would it be possible for american nation to move from fahrenheit to celcius?

We should all use Kelvin

Farenheit is better for common things we use it for: cooking, air temperature measurement at human living temperatures. We switch over whenever we do science.

The stupidest country of all is Canada because they use Celsius for the weather and Fahrenheit for cooking. Generally they mix imperial and metric units in day to day life.

Fun fact: American units are defined using SI units.

>that whole post
What.

No. We're not continentals. It's practically antisemetic to suggest such nonsense. If anything we should be encouraging the British and Jews to move to us.

Or is it difficult for you to handle multiple systems brainlet?

Britbongs invented the mess of an imperial system we use today and we still haven't changed for some reason. The people who say things like "it's better for humans" or whatever are just making up excuses, but they're also kinda right.
The people who need actual measurement units use metric. The rest of the country doesn't really need to learn beyond that, it's a functional measurement system so we don't really have to go through the whole process of changing, and we use the right one for science so we have the best of both worlds.

American scientists are intelligent enough to hold two measurement systems in their head. Except for that one guy at NASA who caused a Mars probe to crash.

Idk what this meme is about us not using Celsius. In science, we use Celsius. In weather and cooking, we use Fahrenheit.

Why would anyone use farenheit at all? It's just a stupid tradition.

>my arbitrary scale is better than your arbitrary scale

I deal with water every day, but how often do you use "solution of brine made from equal parts of ice and salt" in your daily life?

it wouldn't surprise me if americans added salt to their ice so it tastes like the rest of their food

>he doesn't make homemade ice cream

Man, I can immediately recall the surface temperature of venus and melting points of various metal in celcius, but I just can't remember how what freezing my balls off, cold, comfy, warm, and hot are in celcius.

I work in a Canadian engineering lab. Our bolt organizer includes the following drawers all next to each other:

M6
M6 head / 1/4-20 thread
1/4-20 head / M6 thread
1/4-20

"The one guy at NASA" was about a billion people at both Lockheed Martin and NASA. Lockheed failed to actually parse and understand their contractual requirements, engineers failed to implement their specified software, and then NASA systems integrator never bothered to check either the software nor verify that Lockheed read their goddamn statement of requirements.

>The stupidest country of all is Canada because they use Celsius for the weather and Fahrenheit for cooking.
>knowing how to use both
>stupid

It's not a matter of knowing how, unless we're talking people so stupid they can't convert it. It's just that converting unnecessarily over and over is a pain

>It's just that converting unnecessarily over and over is a pain
You'd only have conversion annoyance if weather had something to do with cooking

It's not smart to pretend there are two completely separate realms for temperature. And actually some of the lowest cooking temperatures do overlap with the hottest weather on earth, so they aren't disjoint realms

Canadian grocery stores sell some meat by grams and other meat by ounces. That does cause confusion.

>the insufferable avatarfag was a leaf
not shocking

>leaf
Haha funny pol memes! Post more

>Canadian grocery stores sell some meat by grams and other meat by ounces. That does cause confusion.
I've never heard of anyone actually getting confused by this, but if you say so

Because stupid bitch ass Canadians just estimate 2 lbs per kilo, causing a systematic error. Fuck all Canadians is the stupidest country, even stupider than America

>Because stupid bitch ass Canadians just estimate 2 lbs per kilo, causing a systematic error.
what

Do you happen to be monolingual? It's really not hard to go back and forth between two ways of thinking about something

Then why is metric better than imperial? I thought the whole point was easy conversion

Why not use arbitrarily many different systems of measurement? The more the better.

>Then why is metric better than imperial?
Simpler conversions. Again, I can't think of any time I've had issues with conversions. Weather is always in Celsius, cooking is always in Fahrenheit except for heating water, etc.

>Why not use arbitrarily many different systems of measurement?
Unnecessarily complication

Yes

>The range of numbers in C for weather is simply too low to logically correlate with hot weather.
>Farenheit is better for common things we use it for
I fucking love it when Americans try to reason about metric being unintuitive. It's no fucking surprise kids won't associate 30-something °C with hot weather when up until that point in their lives they learned that 100 °F was hot weather. Pro tip: I live in yurope, and no-one here has problems associating 38 °C with hot weather, or with cooking.

>Would it be possible for american nation to move from fahrenheit to celcius?
Obviously, I can use feet and inches, and lbs, from spending so much time on Veeky Forums, there is no way they couldn't get used to metric in a couple months.

It's better because it's in SI, if Fahrenheit was the SI unit, it would be the superior unit (technically K is the SI unit, but it's easier to convert from °C to K, and you don't even have to convert when you're dealing with delta Ts).

and that's why Canada should only use one system.

Best: using metric
not as good: using imperial
retardedest thing ever: using both, often, like Canada does.
Fuck Canada.

>and that's why Canada should only use one system.
Why?

The same reason you don't use three different systems, or four, etc. More than one is unnecessarily complicated.

Nothing about it being unintuitive. Farenheit just has a larger scale of livable temperature resulting in more accurate whole number measurements.

I find that Celsius is sufficient to describe the weather. I can't really feel a difference of 1 degree F anyway.

>arguing over scales

How accurate do you need to be for daily life? 22-25 is a perfect day, add 3 to these limits before you need to start considering clothes for the cold/heat.

>22-25 is a perfect day
I prefer 0

Possible? Of course, many of us use both.

Likely? Not really. There is no pressing need.

Serious question...why do you care what somebody else uses as a scale for temperature?

Really? I do, when setting my AC. I wish my thermostat would allow setting at half-degrees.

25 is when I start starfishing naked with fans all around to sleep because its too fucking hot.
16-19C is ideal for me.

fahrenheit
0 pretty cold
100 pretty hot
celsius
0 cold
100 dead

Heck, i'd argue i can live with 30 °C. In summer here it gets over 45 °C sometimes.

Seems like you really think multiples of 10 are handy, a bit rich coming from a country that doesn't use the metric system.

Just use Rankine, maximizes butthurt for everyone which is all this debate is really about.

Smh desu senpai

My only problem, as a German who has been living in America for most of his life, is that there isn't really a need to. I think that America needs to switch to the Metric system for distance, volume, mass, and a large variety of measurements ASAP in order to allow more functionality and simpler minded people to do more complex things (and kind of make a move towards that Utopian society where robots serve us and we all pursue science and exploration and luxury :P).

There's isn't really a need to for the measurement of heat though. It'd be equally as beneficial for the entire world to swap to America's system as much as it would be America swapping to the whole world's system.

>not using Delisle for that

>100 dead
That is not how humans work, we are not lizards.

>thinks when he gets called out for fitting a retarded stereotype that we're just meming

Jokes on you, you're actually retarded.

We all use base 10 you fucking idiot.

What's your favorite unit Veeky Forums?

Mine is the milliinch (mil).

>American education

"Image result for sauna temperaturemetro.co.uk
A sauna session can be a social affair in which the participants disrobe and sit or recline in temperatures typically between 70 and 100 °C (158 and 212 °F). This induces relaxation and promotes sweating."

agreed

>Would it be possible for american nation to move from fahrenheit to celcius?
There is no need for this. American scientists all use Celsius because learning it is trivial, and Fahrenheit doesn't really have any drawbacks for the average layperson.

>water freeze point, 150 degree
>surface of the sun, -8100 degree
makes no fucking sense