Is there a more boring and unrewarding author than hemingway? Why is he so revered?

Is there a more boring and unrewarding author than hemingway? Why is he so revered?

Because he led an interesting life and then shot himself. That's about all it takes.

muh masculinity

I shot myself, means im interesting... duuhh herr

I don't know why Veeky Forums hates hemmingway so much. I love his stories.

because Veeky Forums is a bunch of girlymen

I never read anything by him, where should i start and what are the essentials?

His stories are alright, a farewell to arms was fucking shit though, I mean, who writes a book about WWI, and then makes it about eating cheese and skiing in the swiss alps?

That being said, my main gripe with him is that his dialogue is pure retarded trash, as in, it's laughably fucking bad, it's like an indian trying to talk to a girl over facebook, just incoherent shit

I'd read his novels chronologically. In Our Time is a good start for his short stories. A Moveable Feast is basically memoir, and it can be read whenever.

Are you a submissive nu-male?

Read "The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway"

Hemingway has not written a single piece of literature that is worth reading

I don't get why masculinity is so goddam important. Can you enlighten me? I believe intellectuality is far superior.

*tips micropenis*

What the fuck does masculinity have anything to do with good writing?

nu-males are superior to trad-males tbqh
that said, the proto-nu-males are better than contemporary nu-males

Your ability to understand the aesthetic and meaning behind his writing. Sure, he was slightly over-macho in some of his writing and in his life, but I don't think there has been any writer in human history that has understood masculinity better. Masculinity is one of the most important components of life.
Jesus Christ

But having masculine themes or concepts doesn't make it inherently good

>Masculinity is one of the most important components of life.
Then why are you such a faggot?

I'm saying your lack of masculinity and lack of understanding the need to cultivate masculinity is the reason why you don't understand the masculine style of writing, and the themes.

Totally agree with OP. Hemingway is by far the most disappointing author that I've read out of the "classics".

Why did Gaddis put Hemingway in the New York section of The Recognitions, rather than the Paris section?

The very big man bores me until he takes his shirt off.

It is obvious none of you have read his short stories. Start with "The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories"

This is true. There's that guy in the book who starts off every sentence with "baby" or some shit, and then there's the lover who says really cheesy submissive stuff. I cringed so hard. It's even worse than anime dialogue.

A Moveable Feast is a really quick one, but most people start with Old Man and the Sea, The Sun Also Rises, or my personal favorite, A Farewell to Arms.

For Whom the Bell Tolls is a bit longer but is an adventurous war story (with sex and alcohol, as can be expected of old Hem).

>like an indian trying to talk to a girl over facebook, just incoherent shit
great illustration mate. Gave me a good laugh.

>There's that guy in the book who starts off every sentence with "baby" or some shit,

fuck off m8, rinaldi was goat

cause Veeky Forums is full of city dwellers who haven't seen the great outdoors much less held a gun

hemingway is immediately accessible to any and all speakers of english, for one. for two, he is undoubtedly the last bastion of american universalism that can appeal to both the right (individualism and heritage) and left (cosmopolitanism and steadfast anti-fascism).

to why Veeky Forums hates him so much, it's probably because he has none of the intellectual rigor of the authors that were either his contemporaries or predecessors (like wallace stevens).

I do not like Hemingway. Hemingway is not liked by me. The stories are boring. The characters are uninteresting. The prose is of a complexity familiar to a 6th grader.

I obscenity in the milk of thy prose, Ernest.

Because most readers are impressed by a fixation on the superficially meaningful but actually banal and Ernie Memmmmningway was the epitome of that quality in both his life and his writing.

Because no one would be fooled by an impersonator in Paris.

It is because Veeky Forums does not have honour or bravery and is not true to itself.

Island in the Stream is so difficult to read.
>His dialogue is incredible

It is unbereable reading to the characters jerking each other of is supposed to be real?. I am only at page 100 sofar but am questioning if I even should continue

His short stories are pretty good though and of course The Old Man and The Sea

What is manlier than 2 guys fucking each other.
girl+guy=50%man
guy+guy=100%man -> manliest

Hemmmmmmmmmmmmmingway didn't have any of those qualities either. He was just a pretentious hobnobber adept at looking the right way and meeting the right people. If DFW was born 50 years earlier he'd basically become Hemmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmingway.

If you think that Hemingway is boring and dull you have no concept of metaphors and figurative language.

2deep4me

Yeah, no.

Yes. The Old Man and the Sea just wasn't about some old guy catching a fish.

You prove yourself a very poor reader if you can't grasp the religious symbolism.

Novellas and short stories really were amazing by Hemingway and people who don't see that really are blinded by their perception of how shitty his novels are.
Which really don't stand up at all to the praise they get.

For me, and I understand it's an unfashionable view, he was one of the very best American authors ever. Beautiful, sparse prose twinning a timeless and universal appreciation of human psychology. Clumsy fucker, though.

>muh whiskey
>muh troubled alcoholic mustache author
>muh outdoors

The point you're missing is that only the plebbest of pleb fucks find those kinds of things impressive enough to redeem books that are otherwise garbage. He was a talentless hack without an original or interesting bone in his body even on a subtextual level.

You know how some people read at a 4th grade level? Well those people can handily read Hemingway.

well i like hemingway and literally no amount of shitposting will ever get me to change my mind

I'm fairly certain most of his detractors here simply missed the subtext (err, iceberg, I mean) of his work. Hemingway is one of the greats for a reason.

>posting that pic while decrying meme-culture
>not realizing that he was memed into popularity by daft fucks like you decades ago
>not realizing that you're perpetuating the meme
Toppleb

hemingway is a mirror, if you're a shitter, you won't like it

all authors get meme'd into popularity. that's what popularity is. how the fuck do you think any author gets anywhere? they release a few pieces of good work and then get meme'd into more and more work until they get meme'd into oblivion by winning a nobel prize or whatever.

memeing is not a metric for quality, but don't make that authors are better simply because they don't get meme'd.

I agree, masculinity is a totally made up concept, also I don't get how someone constantly has to read stories about masculinity in order to feel masculine. I line 'the old man and the sea' nevertheless.

What really works for me is to see the brain as just another group of muscles to train with various excersises required regularly to remain strong.
Masculinity is the idea of being strong, not just physically, but especially mentally, the impulsive dumb fucks are not even strong enough to be master of their own impulses or emotions, they are tempered and weak.
Masculinity should be about being the strongest you possible, in all ways, mental and physical, it improves brain chemistry and makes you master over your own contentment in life and gives you the power to manifest your will, follow your interests, protect or conquer what you care about, it's the essence of being a man, nihilism be damned.

I like this post mate

>nihilism be damned.
gonna get this tattooed across my chest

Awesome idea.

Great, your big ball of ideology gave me AIDS.

>literal JUST hair

Hemmingway is a great writer desu

At first I was like
After the hemingway hit me
^saved

This post made my day user

Just so you know.

I think masculinity is important. But say if aliens wanted to me to explain the concept I don't know I would

me cago en la leche de tu comentario

You mean symbolism more obvious than Moby Dick?

I like some of his short stories.

He's alright, I don't consider him a classic western author though

He seems like the Zack Snyder of authors
Wants to be seen as an intellectual and allegorical artist, fails, but somehow comes up with a few decent works

The aesthetic of the prose is breathtaking. The monologue when Frederic fantasizes about sex with Catherine in a Farewell to Arms...so well done. And that's just a crap example from the top of my head.

>I don't get why masculinity is so goddam important. Can you enlighten me? I believe intellectuality is far superior.

They're not exclusive, nor are they necessarily present. Jake Barnes can't fuck but is masculine to the degree he can be.

Hemingway is a literary existentialist more than anything

"In the early morning on the lake sitting in the stern of the boat with his father rowing, he felt quite sure that he would never die."

I don't think I'll never forget that line, tbqh senpai

The Old Man and the Sea is fantastic

as long as we can acknowledge Man of Steel as kino

Start with the Greeks

His only worthwhile book tbqh

>The aesthetic of the prose is breathtaking
>"and X and Y and Z and A and B and C and X and X and A and Y and Z and A and X...."

>"hurr masculinity is the reason why he's good!"
>this very concept has been done literally thousands of times better

>He hasn't read For Whom The Bell Tolls or Old Man and the Sea

>The prose is of a complexity familiar to a 6th grader.

Why wouldn't you just say something like "He writes at a sixth grade level"? Is it that you're attempting a takedown of Hemingway in his style and you think that you're being clever? There's a lot wrong with this whole situation. Work on yourself.

>Why is he so revered?

Most of the people who revere him don't read that much.

>The next night back at Mestre he did not tell the girl he went upstairs with at the Villa Rossa about Jesus.
>And he never told anybody.

that reason being America needed a canon and propped up countless hacks for the sake of it not unlike Fitzgerald