Computer Science Degree

Why does Veeky Forums hate CS Degrees? You can make a shit ton of money after only 4 years of college.

My only problem with a CS degree is that now since everyone and their fucking mom wants to do it, the field will become oversaturated and become a meme. What are your problems with CS besides:
>pajeets taking jobs
>constantly having to learn new technologies

Quite simple, desu. It's cause it's a popular degree and chan culture by virtue is very contrarian.

>contrarian
WRONG

CS is gay because such degrees are almost predominantly comprised of retards. Unfortunately, you can say the same of many engineering programs as well, hence the stigma.

Exactly the reason I'm taking CS this fall. After interviewing 20+ autistic retards who thought they were going to be thought how to program in school; I will have no problem aceing their interviews. Also I'm taking it to get into research later on, and CS skills are very needed in other fields. Make sure your degree is heavy in math and physics though, otherwise your getting memed on

That's the issue "why do I need to hire you when the physicist/EE/MechE/BME/etc I already have can program?"

>Why does Veeky Forums hate CS Degrees
It's easier than most other STEM degrees and it's full of obnoxious people and retards.

>You can make a shit ton of money after only 4 years of college
So can engineers.

Because retards enrolled thinking it was a programming degree and hoped to learn how to make apps and and websites.
Most of these dropped out.

Eventually schools wanting to keep milking students and comply with their demands made the curriculum easier.
My uni recently removed Analysis 1 & 2 in favor for just one calculus class.

Why in the fuck would you take Analysis for a CS Degree?

>MUH MONEY

If you want to make money become an anesthesiologist they average +$400k/year and top out at around 1million to private exclusive plastic surgery clinics. Your hiring bonus is $100k forgiven from your student loans and they typically get 8 weeks off per year.

If you want to learn how the theory of computation then you would take Computer Science. Honestly CompSci is the worst thing to take if you're after money, like most other science degrees. The whole startup fraud is empty, there's no more money to con in SV and the whole gig economy will crash soon.

Numerical analysis and Fourier analysis have some prereq.

Analytic methods are useful in many subfields of computer science, and esp theory. Remember CS is supposed to be the theory of computation not learn how to get a job at FaceBerg(tm)

Yeah, who needs analysis in a webdev degree, right?

there are about as many CS jobs created per year as there are graduates, so that combined with the large amount of availible jobs mean the market won't be saturated for a while.

>Cs
Oversaturated, low-level maths, little to no Physics, easiest STEM, and it fucking cringey to hear people say "Coding is the future, kids should learn coding, major in comp sci".

All the numerical methods and parts of modelling theory depend on it. Can you describe even something simple as Markov processes or Petri nets without calculus?

I'm interested in AI research, so I'm going into CS and hopefully grad school afterwards.

So applied math is low in math. Gotcha.

cs majors at the school i graduated from have to take analysis 1

Applied Math BSc learn a lot more Math than a CS PhD. lol

If CS does not include basic physics and some philosophy, it's a worthless husk. CS is about the nature of logic, which is driven by signal manipulation. Computation is simply orderly signal processing driving a controlled series of state changes. And there are certain rules governing the means for logic to operate around a given task that do not change no matter what or where you are. There is always a means required.

>tfw mandatory philosophy course was just about making reports on philosophers
>no philosophy of science or mathematics, no actual discussion, just history of philosophy in the most boring way possible

You and every other shitstain majoring in CS.

Is it easier to get in CS grad school then?

>You can make a shit ton of money
leave my board, brainlet

>Implying you can't make alot of money in any other field

>CS degree
>2.1 GPA, shitty state school
>No internships

>Got a job a 8 months before graduation and have been working for a year now

Thank god I didn't fall for the "CS is a meme" counter-meme, otherwise I'd be an unemployed engineering grad right about now

cs masters programs tend to be significantly easier to get into than phd programs. you could get into a pretty good ms on coursework/gpa and reus alone. phds tend to be WAY more selective, the difference likely being
more than most other stem fields.

ai/ml is pretty high demand and literally the entire indian subcontinent is trying to go into it. i literally don't know anyone aiming for grad school for anything that isn't ai
>tfw no security gf

>i literally don't know anyone aiming for grad school for anything that isn't ai
No other subject is as employable and as potentially lucrative as what you can get after an ML PhD I guess

Universities have been significantly watering down CS programs because it's not hard to do anymore, everything is run through managed runtime environments and is lovely and safe and will point out errors before you've even compiled a thing.

It's a brainlet degree.
Do you know how to memorize a few pseudocode chunks, and can write down step-by-step instructions for an arbitrary task? Here's your degree!

hell, even the positions available to you during the phd pay competitively

i'm still not sure if i should fall for the MS meme or just go straight into working

Are there any other fields of CS that could lead to well-paying positions after a PhD? I only ever hear about ML and to a lesser extent security but who the fuck gets a PhD in security

Truthfully because it's Veeky Forums and it's Veeky Forums but other than that I think there are a few reasons

For one it's generally over saturated with people who just want to go into it for the money. I think the general population on Veeky Forums are people who are more passionate about their subjects and see it as an academic pursuit for knowledge and studying their respective subject for the sake of studying it.

Also, you can make a lot of money with other degrees besides CS. The closer you are to the money the more you make. So for example if you double major in Stats + Finance you will be very marketable since you hold a skills of high value to investors/forecasters in an industry concerned with making money which leads to you making a nice paycheck.

In general I think CS has just become hated because it's scene as a meme because of survivor bias and everyone telling everyone "yo bro easy money go into CS" which is not as "noble" as studying pure math or physics (as seen through the eyes of Veeky Forums)

Lastly, there's also the case that if you study math or physics you can easily pick up CS in your free time. Simply because most of the basics of CS don't require the same abstract reasoning that the "higher tiered" majors get in their education. A mathematician will have a much easier time picking up CS concepts than the other way around on average.

>constantly having to learn
>problem
What are you doing here?

>i literally don't know anyone aiming for grad school for anything that isn't ai

How about Computer Graphics? It seems fun, engaging, promising & employable.

it's related to AAA games, video card/GPU, CAD softwares, game engines, VR glasses, etc.

>"i'm going to major in computer programming so i can maek gaems XD i'm such a nerd"
jokes aside i don't actually know much about cg. i have a friend in a graphics oriented program up in a different school and recruiters suck his program's dick

What about
>databases/natural language processing/"big data"
>programming languages
>computational biology
>virtual reality

>Computational Physics
Closer to physics than CS
>Financial Softwares
Does that even exist? Either way statistics and ML is more useful if you're going to do finance.

It's not easy becoming an aneasthetist consultant.

anesthetics is one of the more competitive branches of medicine. It's the easiest ROAD to get into, but that's like saying "go to yale it's easy and not as competitive as uchicago"

i swear anesthesiology is the normie meme degree. back in high school and when i was premed everyone was always like DO ANESTHETICS ALL YOU DO IS PUSH BUTTONS.

i can't confirm but nurse anesthetics are a thing nowadays and idk how that impacts the field

People keep overusing the word arbitrary. Sure it might make sense in this scenario but it would be more descriptive to say contrived or something.