Is a Bioengineer/Biomedical Engineer the "man of all trades" when it comes to science and math?

Is a Bioengineer/Biomedical Engineer the "man of all trades" when it comes to science and math?

>Engineering
>Math
>Physics
>Chemistry
>Biochemistry
>Biology
>Microbiology
>Bionics
>Programming

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_engineering
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Bioengineer
>Math

Hahaha that guys head looks like a dick

Yes, math

That's suppose to be emperor Palestine from star wars. Get it right, nerd.

Life science like biomedical engineer is soft math. You really only need calculus 2, calculus one physics, and maybe some other math class. These people could had done maths like physics but they don't care about math.

>Palestine

Yes but they are a master of none so they have a hard time in the job market

This

this

if you study that many topics, you don't go in depth in any of them.

Biomedical engineering is the worst possible engineering major you could take, it covers very little, and you'll have a hard time once you get a job. Instead of going into BmE you should major in mechanical engineering and take some bio and chem classes. This will help you go into prosthetics. If you want to create materials, you should go into materials engineering and take some bio and chem classes. This will help you much more than just taking BmE.

Thanks for the advice, can you elaborate a little more? Why would I have a hard time?

You're thinking of a nuclear engineer.
>math
>physics
>chemistry
>radiobiology
>engineering
>programming
>controls
>probability/statistics

No.
It's theoretical biology

you are pidgeonholed into a narrow field where you compete against literally every single other engineering discipline except maybe Civil for any given job

For engineering? No that's mechanical engineering...

Biophysics plz

literally the plebs of engineering

First you need to decide what you want to do in the biomed field. If you don't do this you'll really just end up working on a small project while the mechanical, electrical, or materials engineer is actually working on the bigger project. You'll have a hard time getting employed is what I mean. And you won't ever get to the big projects until you're 15 years into your career.

Went to university for biomedical engineering for a month, dropped out because I figured I should actually sit down and decide what I wanted to do before I spent a bunch of money and an education highschool tried to pressure me into.

Is it worth it, Veeky Forums? All I'm good for is my brain but iunno what I want to do with it.

My uni offers BME but with focus on electrical or mechanical. Worth doing it or should i do pure EE or mechE? Im a bit deep in studies and have no idea if switching engineering specialization is worth the trouble

Silly me, not reading the sticky.

only do BME if you plan on getting a masters and you can absolutely land a biomed related internship in undergrad+.

OP you fucking idiot. instead of making a college advice thread this should've been a major tier thread.

Would i be able to get hired after my bachelors? I plan to do grad school but need to put it off for a couple years

does it include astronomy and earth science?

>Bioengineer/Biomedical Engineer
What the fuck is that? If you dont have Mechanical/Electrical/Chemical or (Laugh) Civil Engineering on your diploma it is literally trash.

>Bioengineer

>Anything more advanced than constructing Taylor series

>Would i be able to get hired after my bachelors?
probably not at anything good

BME is competitive as fuck dude. if you really think you are a rockstar and can just BTFO everyone in your school. sure, try with just a bachelors.

i make a comfy ass living doing HVAC as a mechanical engineer. fuckin' glad i did. i'd be sucking right now if i stuck with BME.

not to shit post, but why would someone major in economics when they could read up on it online/library/bookstore?

Biomedical engineers are basically unhireable because most employers have ever heard of the degree because it's so new. They want to see a mech engineer instead.

Get your undergrad in mech engineering and then do graduate stuff in bioengineering and you're fine. But DON'T major in BME if you ever want a job.

>Bioengineer/Biomedical Engineer

>Math
>Physics
>Chemistry
>Biochemistry
>Biology

Undergrad detected.

You could but you won't. Can you study 8 hours a day without being compelled to? Probably not.

>tfw third world and literally everyone and their pets are engineers
>tfw medicine is the only field with guaranteed high pay

>tfw biochemistry + computer science double major
>tfw college offers a 1 year accelerated masters program for biomedical engineering or materials science
>tfw don't know which one to do, probably material science

What would be a good Ph.D?

My goal in life is immortality.

>My goal in life is immortality.
you will fail your goal, pick another one
deciphering the Easter Island scripture is more feasible than that

If you already have double major Why not double Masters in both BME & material science? Then make a Interdisciplinary PhD which combine the 2 areas.

You must have at least Masters to work as Biomedical Engineer. Bachelor in BME is useless.

Material Science is very broad & interdisciplinary, so It can wide up the possible options for your future career choices.

>Computer Science is a nice backup plan for Biochemistry just in case of failure to get into PhD grad school.

back

getting a PhD is a good way to ensure you will always be far too poor for immortality but will be a decently paid lab monkey working on one specific technique of one field of healthcare device for one part of the body dealing with one specific illness

>Why not double Masters in both BME & material science? Then make a Interdisciplinary PhD which combine the 2 areas.
getting a double major requires no special funding or anything just meeting with your advisors and coming up with a plan, getting a double masters is first of all not even an option at most universities, you would need to come up with a completely customized degree program based on two different course lists spend twice as much time and twice as much money, it just isn't a thing dude.

Have you ever done a Fourier transform or solved the Schrodinger equation?
Have you synthesized transition metal complexes with catalytic activity?
Have you analyzed failure modes in engines using finite element methods?
Have you dissected cow embryos to study fetus development?
Have you gene modified a microbe strain to maximize protein expression for crystallographic analysis?
Have you ever written a program with non-trivial back end and consumer friendly front end?

If yes to all, congratulations, Bioengineer/Biomedical Engineers are as competent as a sub-average undergrad in all these fields.

If not, you're a subpar Bussiness Administration student who uses technical lingo in their mumbo-jumbo sales pitches to finance twerps.

>If not, OP is a subpar Bussiness Administration student who uses technical lingo in their mumbo-jumbo sales pitches to finance twerps.

>Also known as:
Sales Engineer

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_engineering

I'd have to agree, it covers more real science because it isn't diluted by engineering.

i am just wondering since i want to know if doing undergraduate work in econ is worth it. i am going to transfer to uc davis or a csu in north CA but I want to know what non-stem field of study could be learned through books or online.