What are some good books on self-education? I want to become an autodidact, so I need to learn how to self teach me...

What are some good books on self-education? I want to become an autodidact, so I need to learn how to self teach me, and I want to do it well, I want to have a background so I don't commit errors in my self education.

Other urls found in this thread:

sjc.edu/academic-programs/undergraduate/seminar/annapolis-undergraduate-readings
sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Philosophy
docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Here's a reading list of western cannon by St. John's College.
sjc.edu/academic-programs/undergraduate/seminar/annapolis-undergraduate-readings

its a meme list and you probably wont read even a 10th of it, if you have to ask so simple mindedly

Why it's a meme list?

Educated in what? Fucking everything?

What are you trying to teach yourself?

history, literature, etc.

>it's a meme list
what the fuck is that supposed to mean? students read the entire list over the course of their undergraduate studies, it's not nearly as dense as this list sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

HOly shit, that's a LIST!

Do you realize how ironic that is?
You want to be taught how to be self-taught?
Are you retarded?

I want to know how to teach me everything.

Just read the Veeky Forums philosophy guide.

This one?
4chanlit.wikia.com/wiki/Philosophy

This.

docs.google.com/document/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/mobilebasic?pli=1

>learn how to use a dictionary
>learn how to use an index
>learn how to use a library catalogue
>pick research area
>???
>profit

I would follow this if I read philosophy

There's only so much you can learn before you actually start learning, right???

I would say that the main mechanism of active learning is to be self-directed and critical in thought. It's very easy to let someone else do the thinking for you, but if you actually try to take the time to learn something through a series of inquiry, reviewing what you already know about a subject (you'll always surprise yourself here), and abstaining from quick answers and google searches, your understanding of subjects will be much richer.

This is a great list... highly recommended. Im slowly working my way through it now. Took me about a year to get to aquinas. The march continues...

Self-education in literature and philosophy works only if you're an actual genius.
If you're not you truly need some sort of guidance in the form of external questioning of what you're learning.

University lectures are somewhat useful, but what really matters is the discussions you have with your professor about what you've learned and thought in the process. Literally nothing beats having 1on1 lessons with people who have already studied the texts and their historical and biographical context.

If you live in the US you're fucked, there is no cheap option for you, and the figure that could have helped you centuries ago (the private rethoric, literature and philosophy full time teacher) is now extinct.

If you live in Europe instead enroll in a university and study following your rythms. Getting a BS in 6 years because you don't want to study 8 hours everyday is not shameful, as long as you actually learn something from that experience (most people don't).

You're getting to caught up in preparatory work
>pick thing you want to learn
>watch a few documentaries, read a few articles
>if you still want to learn it, buy some books and get going

>Self-education in literature and philosophy works only if you're an actual genius.

Prove that

There are very few good self-educated writers in the Western canon.

That doesn't prove anything and I won't become a writer, neither I want to be good at it

That's a pretty big proof, considering that it's including all of our literary history as a continent.

>neither I want to be good at it
You should always strive for excellence.

I told I don't want to become a writer, I just want to self teach me, nothing more. I won't share with anyone what I've learnt.

dont do that op once you "love" to learn you comit social suicide, and after a while you actually do it. no use op, stick to the simple life. much better, trust me. pick a major, get your degree done, go on with your life, never looking back, its better that way, why would you like to learn if youve got no one to share it with, why would you do it if theres really no practical use

>teach me how to teach myself

this is a joke, right user?

Just for fun.

There must be good methods to not forget what I've learnt, and to keep progressing in other things

If you can pick up Dota 2 from nothing and pick it up, you can self teach yourself anything.

>everyone not even answering the question

Homework of Grown-ups
Little Brown Essential Handbook

Start with those for all the small grammar rules you would have missed through high school, technical understanding of all terms, how to learn vocabulary, how to understand etymology and figuring the meaning of a word from it is a very handy skill to have.

Really, the only thing which confuses people when self teaching are meta's and terminology.

>If you can pick up Dota 2 from nothing and pick it up, you can self teach yourself anything.
What?

Wow, that list could take a lifetime to read.

Many skills are more difficult than a fucking video game

Hey, thanks for posting those books, they look really interesting.

>Many skills are more difficult than a fucking video game

pls stop, he doesn't know what he's saying.

my meme lives. i'm so proud

is it really a mem?

I mean it is like months of reading material on learning. It is overkill to the point that it is very funny, yes.

It's ironic but it's not retarded. Why reinvent the wheel? There are obviously going to be people who have developed a good system for self instruction, so you get that foundation knowledge which then supplements your own self teaching.

Also being self taught doesn't literally mean you can't learn from others, that'd be fucking stupid and immensely counterproductive. It just means you have ultimate control over the direction of your learning and you're not depending on an instructor/institution to educate you.

Self-education is a meme unless you're literally genius-tier

Is this some 4D bait? You'd rather live and die in ignorance and mediocrity than become great?

If it's important to you, you will never forget it.

If it isn't, you will never remember it.

i guess

like your mom

Hahahahahaahhaah