From a few threads, random stuff and comments people seem to be using the word "nihilism" and "nihilistic"...

From a few threads, random stuff and comments people seem to be using the word "nihilism" and "nihilistic", differently for a better lack of word.

I don't understand this. People seem to associate this word with negativity. Shouldn't it be the complete opposite? Can someone explain to me nilihism? Perhaps I'm completely misunderstanding the term.

Nihilism is just the realization that life as no meaning. However people act after that realization is their problem and nothing to do with actual nihilism I think.

I bet the saddest and happiest person on the planet are both nihilistic. A lot of it depends on previous education and what nots.

Happy nihilists understand that since nothing matters then anything matters. They can focus on the most inane shit in their lives without the feeling of missing out on some greater, profound matter (which doesn't exist) or wondering whether they live their life "correctly".

Can confirm that pic is true. It's definitely helped me excel in research by not being intimidated by difficult subjects or accomplished professors.

Nihilism is an -ism for depressed people to make themselves feel intellectual. It is also an -ism for careless potheads who need some seemingly clever excuse to continue being useless.

Makes sense. I think your answer is the general correct answer. In fact, all the answers here are correct going by that logic. I'm glad I'm interpreting the better part of nihilism.

This is what gets my triggers going. People using the negative version of the word. I don't care if they make a long winded excuse, just don't use this particular one. The original meaning tends to be more lost as more and more people use it. ( cancer! etc ) And I sometimes end up getting a bad first impression forcing me to tread lightly around certain terms when making a conversation due to said bias sticking.

Exactly! Good luck with your studies, user.

Nihilism is the result of philosophical immaturity.

Your post is a result of unchecked narcissistic personality disorder.

Nihilism isn't possible
Give me a scientific reason why it should

How do I become a happy nihilist instead of being a self-loathing nihilist?

ITT hedonist calling themselves nihilists.

Stop equipping your interests and feels as morals -- and then tell me that there's such a thing as a happy, not-totally-pathological nihilist.

What exactly do you people believe nihilism is?

Nihilism n. 1. The rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless. 2. (Philosophy) The belief that nothing has real existence.

What do you think "moral" and "meaningless" mean?

>Morals
Have fun serving a sacred higher power nerd

Realize that, in your backwards doctrine, your feelings are no more legitimate than religious morality. Realize that listening to your own thoughts breaks the very doctrine they espouse. Realize that totally pointless suffering is just as defensible as health and beauty -- and I will come and beat the nihilism out of you, until you're crying "Please, please, I will believe anything so long as you will stop beating me. Anything to make this pain go away. Because this pain is real."

I am Let's say this:
>The rejection of all religious and moral principles, often in the belief that life is meaningless.
I suppose you can think that life is meaningless but morality is programmed in us, so nihilism isn't scientifically possible - stuff like Stirner is a lot of bullshit too by the way
Nihilism can still be useful as a social construction in discourse, but isn't a useful scientific or even philosophical concept

Get a load of this guy.

But seriously folks, remember anger is the first sign of dehydration. Drink more water. Summer isn't coming. Summer is here!

Pointing out that you'd renounce nihilism as soon as you were subjected to physical pain is not the same as anger. However, I do agree with your implicit suggestion that ad hominem attacks are appropriate and not at all a fallacy when speaking about morality. The
>U mad, bro?
attack is pretty vapid at this point though. But your implication that any type of passion is the same as petty anger is pretty on point -- insofar as it reflects on you. Yes, we get it. People are stupid. Emotions are for dolts. Everything is to be met with ironic scorn. These sentiments are exactly what I've come to expect from pseuds who have been pampered by the decedance of 21st century living. And of course you're one of them, because there's no other type of person foolish enough and soft enough to believe nihilism is cool.

>"nihilism" and "nihilistic"
babby's new werdz