Pursue Dream vs More Income

I've always dreamed of being a writer, and have decided to give it a go. I'm no snowflake and I know it will be a hard road and chances are no one will read my terrible writing. I've turned 32 recently.

However, my company has offered to pay 80% of my tuition if I pursue a master's degree in nursing informatics. I currently hold a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (I wanted to be an English major but I went with the steady job for my wife and kid). This would be 2 years of full time work and full time online classes.

The degree would look nice, and set me up for a job 4 years from now, but currently I make 60k a year working nights with not a lot of stress and usually a lot of free time for writing at work.

What would you do? I know this will probably die with no replies, but it felt good to type it out.

Suck a few dicks, chill

How much writing have you done?

>male nurse

You sound like a cuck

>I make 60k a year working nights with not a lot of stress and usually a lot of free time for writing at work
This sounds like a great setup for me, but you have a wife and kid so it's a completely different situation. It might be worth the time investment since you'll most likely benefit from it the rest of your life. You'll still be able to continue writing later on.

>over 30
>not in academia
>doesn't make 6 figures
If you live in US or Western Europe, consider killing yourself.

Faulkner wrote As I Lay Dying in 4 weeks at night after finishing his shift as a factory worker. Granted, you're probably not as talented as Faulkner, but what I'm saying is
>why not both

OP no amount of advice is gonna budge you. If you NEED to achieve it, you'll take a risk and do it. Plenty of bluepilled cucks take the easy route and live a live wherein they can't be humiliated for not (((towing the line))). Many of them fail, some of them don't. It's your decision whether your failure will be a noble one or one that comes about as a consequence of cowardice and good judgement.

I wrote pic related in roughly the same amount of time. Though I was a NEET back then and no one's calling me the next Faulkner or anything.

>currently I make 60k a year working nights with not a lot of stress and usually a lot of free time for writing at work
Damn, I'm jelly. I only get £35k and that's working in the middle of London, where I have to spend an absurd amount on housing and transport.

...and also working pretty hard, I meant to add.

Fellow Londoner about to enter the job market here
What do you do?

I listen to Moloko and google your book and what I find. I have a melancholic feel. You might be interesting to talk to. What do you say?

(OP)
Why do you not follow your own thread?

Doesn't make much sense to compare, a good software development may make 60k€ and on top of that taxed to 50% in Germany, and a similar job may make 120k$ in the US, and both those guys would say they're doing good.

the grass is always greener. if you're comfortable where you are, why fuck with your career? just have some fun. seems like you want to enjoy some of the life you worked hard to enjoy. i think you should write. won't hurt anyone, especially not yourself. if it's ultimately unsatisfying, just consider your options again in a couple of years. good luck my man. catch you on the flipside.

here. Sure, I'll talk to just about anyone for a while.

>'give writing a go'
>or get education
That's not an 'either or' decision and the fact you would even ask means you have low self-esteem. It's the people who want validation the most that expect things to work out right away.
I started writing four months ago at 29, anyone can do it at anytime and there are no guarantees of anything, nor should their be.
Everyone should never depend on writing as a viable career choice. It's just doesn't make sense, even people who write for fun and are very successful barely get enough to support themselves.
The best writers I've know who sold a lot of copies of their work are people who are already hard workers in another field. One was a lawyer, one still works IT, it's the same for most writers.

If you're dedicated you can do both.

Godspeed, user

Fuck you. That male nurse will heal you up when your health is in danger so yoy can continue shitposting again.

OP I dont want to discourage you from your dreams, but you shouldn't be a writer. Just write in your spare time until you got a book together.

I not in the medical field or anything, but we need more heroes like you.
Society may not think so, but nurses and doctors are the most noblest proffesion. My mom is a nurse and I have been to the hospital more then enough times to know what great work you peeps are doing. You are involved in saving lives.

I wanted to study medicine and actually help peple, but I am retarded so I did computer science and became a programmer instead.

If you had any other job I would tell you to take big risks and go all for writing.

I also became a nurse after throwing my dreams to the wind.

I love it though, think it was right for me.

You have a wife and kid to consider you selfish faggot. Write for ten years then try to get published

get the degree and use the expiriences to write

get your master's in nursing informatics. fuck writing. do it in your spare time. nearly all writers have jobs besides writing
because, in all honesty, your novel will probably suck, it won't get published, and nobody will read it.

Do both

I'm currently directly working with nurses in a hospital and they're not all that great.

>but currently I make 60k a year working nights with not a lot of stress and usually a lot of free time for writing at work.
That sounds pretty fucking chill. What more do you want? I'm honestly asking. You have a lot of money, a job so you don't feel like shit, and time to write.

Or you could go with the pursuit of ethics? Helping the poor or environment? That's what I went with, and I'm pretty happy.

How much does your wife make? This might be something you should discuss with your family rather than Veeky Forums.

True that you can't compare directly, but I'm assuming OP is Murrican, so the taxes wouldn't be Germany-tier and I'm assuming transport and housing costs won't be nearly as crazy as the London area. I couldn't come close to supporting a wife and child on my salary alone. The UK is basically completely ridiculous.

>Fuck you. That male nurse will heal you up when your health is in danger so yoy can continue shitposting again.

You're thinking of doctors. They give the life saving orders. Nurses or just puppets.