Will you personally be moving to Mars?

At what age will you be moving there?
Will you be bringing your wife and/or family along as well?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_in_space
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sure i'd like me and my family to pay 500 billion for the trip and then die a horrible death

I would move if I could afford it and there was already a functional colony. But for that the ticket price would have to be less than $100,000.

Colonizing Mars is a meme. The only future I see for the planet is exploiting its natural resources. Mars is otherwise filled with too much radiation, has too little atmosphere and too little gravity to sustain human life.

Radiation is not a problem underground. Musk has said that any Mars colony will be primarily an underground city. Thats one reason why he is developing boring machines.

This doesn't solve the problem caused by the planet's low gravity. Also, this doesn't consider the psychological trauma that will be caused by living underground.

Man will not land on mars within our lifetimes.

>psychological trauma that will be caused by living underground.

Not a real issue.

>being this naive

No I'll go to the floating city on Venus so we don't have to live underground and so my kids have functioning skeletal and muscular structure.

>psychological trauma that will be caused by living underground
Millions of burgers live in their mother's basements already, so what is the problem?

Humanity will never go to Mars but otherwise I'm ready to go right now.

>Homo futuris checking in.
OK, what do you look like??

>simulate the surface with lights and airflow
>problem goes away because the senses are fooled well enough
We have plenty of agoraphobic citizens too, they'd be happy to live in a dorf fort

Centrifugal habitats solve the gravity issue, since they can offset the gravity difference to make it earth normal

if we're going to build something like that we may as well live in space instead of on the surface of an uninhabitable planet

The best thing about Mars is that there's no age of consent laws.

I read thoses centrifuges have to be big, like the size of a football pitch, could/have we built anything that big in space before?

First time for everything I suppose

On a related note does that mean
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_in_space
will be one day possible?

Imagine the possibilities, the positions....oh my!

>tfwywn be a qt red-haired girl training to be an undine on a terraformed mars

don't worry user - there are always dreams....

>in space instead
Shielding would be a whole lot more expensive for a space station.

That would be an issue for some people, even if someone are ok underground for a few hours or day at a time ,a lifetime underground is something completely different, not just scaled up, they could suffer a breakdown and wreck the mission at a critical point, there would have to be vetting, profiles, counselling etc, before you could go

Veeky Forums.mars will be blocked at Phobos relay.

but due to that shielding being simple in nature, the cost would be very low

if you have the means to build the habitat, you have the means to add a few dozen meters of hydrogen and/or water tanks to the outside

>be on Mars
>hit refresh on Veeky Forums
>wait 15 minutes
Fuck this shit

>exploiting its natural resources
for goodness sake, getting resources off world is an incredible stupid idea.
I can't believe there are people with a triple digit IQ who genuinely think this is a good argument for space exploration.

In 2030 as soon as my country becomes a superpower.

>the cost would be very low
How do you cheaply launch material into orbit?

>if you have the means to build the habitat, you have the means
Means, yes, but not necessarily cheap.

>to add a few dozen meters of hydrogen
Where to get all that hydrogen?? We are talking about an habitat 1 - 10 km in length with 0.1 - 1 km circumference for about 1 square km surface area, to be covered in "a few dozen meters of hydrogen". That is simply enormous

>and/or water tanks to the outside
And that is even heavier. Chances are it may freeze solid in which case you have issues with thermal expansion.

Assuming the cost of space travel is drastically reduced and the pooling of resources can be automated by machines, I don't think it would be such a stupid idea. If companies can make a profit from gathering martian resources, this will be the only good reason to send crafts to mars.

We're not in danger of running out of most of Earth's resources any time soon.

Nah I plan to be part of the oppressive gentry that sends troops to collect taxes from you rebellious martians.

Well that needn't be the motivation. People didn't colonize America because Europe was running out of resources. The goal was to make profit. If there is viable profit to make on mars, which remains an open question, then there is reason to exploit its resources.

I'm not saying we shouldn't. I'm just so tired of the resources argument because it's shit.

I don't see any other viable argument aside from mostly romantic views of space travel which are rooted in ideas about human destiny. I trust the market to be a better engine for developing space travel than dreams, and I don't really see in what respects the resources argument is shit.

You trust the market to go for something economically non viable?

If you are building habitats, you are not sourcing the materials from earth, you'd use that very close by ball of metal called the moon
And hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe, water is only hydrogen and oxygen
Asteroids and comets have plenty of water ice on them, so you can use those
Though none of this is needed, since thick ass composite metal plates can block cosmic radiation too

Also, space is a vacuum, the main struggle is keeping shit from getting too hot, not cold

Well again, I'm assuming it may one day be economically viable, although you are right that as of today it is not. As I've said, space travel may become significantly cheaper in the future.

Even it the whole resource extraction was done autonomously you still need to invent all that hardware and send it to space. It would be a massive billion dollar investment and it would take decades before it would pay itself back.
And we're certainly not a point where makes sense to do such and investment even if you're thinking long term.

Don't expect space mines in your lifetime. Public sector and commercial LEO will be the only ones spending money on space for at least the next 50 years.

>And we're certainly not a point where makes sense to do such and investment even if you're thinking long term.
>Don't expect space mines in your lifetime.
You're right, I'm not disagreeing about that.

Resources unqualified are meaningless. What count is what we can obtain commercially. And just now a lot is getting difficult to get hold of, how else did you think the Chinese were able to get a stranglehold on REE?

We have uranium for 200 years at current rate. People talk about building 10x nuclear reactors in which case we have fuel for 20 years. The response is that sea water has astronomical amounts of uranium, which is technically true. Trouble is it is hideously expensive to extract from sea water.

>Chinese were able to get a stranglehold on REE

With 15 minutes of delay between Mars & Earth. With the speed of light limitation.

Basically Chat in Real Time with someone from Earth would be near to impossible.

But since Veeky Forums is a slow moving board, where people some time just reply hours later, then communicate with Veeky Forums is possible.

You can also have a Offline Copy of the Website so probably you gonna be able to watch 15 min older versions of some websites such as Netflix, Wikipedia, Youtube (but not chat)

NASA recently calculated that a satellite generating 1 Tesla at the Lagrange point between Mars and the Sun would protect it from most of the solar wind blowing any atmosphere away.

Will the people living there be living under communism, feudalism, or indentured servitude, or something else? I could see it could be like communism because the "government of the Martian colony" would own and control everything, or I could see it might be like indentured because you obligate yourself to serve for 7 years, or feudalism same as it was back in the day the lords/aristocracy owned everything and everybody else is forever only serfs in service to the lord who own the plot of land that they are bound.

It will be a neo-fascist cyberpunk dystopia.

Interesting. And 1 T is not too hard, we can get fields far, far greater than that.

Like Total Recall?

There is definitely some weird cult like indicators in SpaceX of Elon Musk wanting to appoint himself Emperor of Mars and thus experiment with wacky social theories, all of which will likely fail and lead to a Total Recall dystopia when he is removed for failure and a company runs Mars.

>Like Total Recall?
Exactly.

I hope Musk practices eugenics as the emperor of Mars.

More like Dukat from DS9 with his space station cult. Every baby born looks like Musk for some reason. People have to pray to him and wear weird earrings denoting status in society. He lives in the most opulent domes while the rest of the peons work as laborers with daily sermons piped in through the Mars wide communications network led by Musk.

He is then deposed when government funding is cut off and a Qatari shareholder owned corporation runs Mars for profit. Hordes of pajeet engineers are shipped in with their galaxy travel permits seized upon arrival, forced to work with no pay

I don't think that's possible because the currently established legal framework is that colonies will still be legally under jurisdiction here so it's impossible to escape but if the colony was truly self sufficient then I suppose it would be possible for the colony to burn their bridges and declare independence.

Sounds amazing.

Everytime I see Elron Hubbard Musk talking about his mars utopia it's pretty clear he wants to reinvent society on it, establish "direct democracy" and all kinds of other shit. I'm hoping he does what Napolean did with direct democracy which was to make himself Emperor in just a few votes.

Why can't we source the excessively rare earth elements from space, where they're more abundant in easily accessible form
The start up costs are a bitch, absolutely, but those costs drop dramatically once you have infrastructure to build off of

It would probably be worth it for countries to start up space mines to prevent themselves from becoming dependent on china for certain elements

No, but I'd invest and travel there every four to eight years.

Up to recently there were legal problems. Now the US has allowed it. Technology hasn't been easy either, remember all the problems with Mars lander, the Rosetta mission etc. Landing is hard. Towing an asteroid home is even harder.