How are online degrees viewed? If you put an online degree on your resume would it instantly be put in the trash?

How are online degrees viewed? If you put an online degree on your resume would it instantly be put in the trash?

Nobody cares you fucking pathetic piece of shit, your mother should have aborted you.

All you really need to do is put your IQ scores on your resume. Once your employers know that you're well above 180, they will hire you immediately. Degrees are a meme for sub-180 IQ brainlets.

Whaddya mean? Because most schools that offer online degrees make no distinction between them and their regular degrees.

You're really ~edgy~, bro

epic post simply epic. upvoted

only brainlets care about their IQ.

>only brainlets care about their IQ.
Kek. Spoken like a true sub-180 mong. Enjoy needing a degree, brainlet.

Isn't a 180 IQ above the highest possible IQ that can be accurately determined?

>not having so great an IQ that it far exceeds the highest IQ that can be accurately determined

Does that mean I can have an MIT degree while never having been to MIT physically?
"MIT" can be used interchangeably with any elite university here.

Yes. Because online degree aren't marked as online degrees. The employer will never know.

Don't end up going to an online only school like university of Phoenix though lol

>get a top class education
>from an elite, prestigious school
>for free (or almost)
So where's the catch here? This is fishy.

They are not going to send you a degree without paying them.

Is it as expensive as a full time, four year bachelor's (or two year master's, or whatever)?

Yes same price per credit I'm pretty sure in most cases.

Yet there's little to no selectivity?
I'm looking at MIT, Harvard and Stanford's respective websites right now though, and I don't see anything like that being offered, aside from "micro masters" in supply chain management or whatever, and free access to lectures.

Why so much hatred?

Idk what you mean by selectivity?

To complete an online degree you have to be accepted into whatever school your applying to as a regular undergrad. Then at that point you have the choice to physically attend classes or do it online.

MIT and Stanford put a limited bunch of their courses online for free but merely reviewing the material doesn't confer you a degree from them if that's what you're asking.

>Yet there's little to no selectivity?
lol no, this is how universities make money, by requiring shit which you dont really need in order to fulfill and arbitrary requirement for a semi-arbitrary accreditation. Even if you fulfill the required courses (and pay for them, pay for the confirmation that you have passed them really), you still need to fulfill "core classes" which have nothing to do with your major or your major will be incomplete.

if you want the best advice in terms of cost, do your core classes at a community college, transfer those classes to a state school (4 year uni), graduate from there with a high GPA (and little financial expenditure since state schools are cheap), then apply to one of those prestigious schools for graduate school.

Oh ok, I think we misunderstood each other from the get-go, I was talking about stuff like MOOCs.
I mean selectivity for admission. Of course the actual coursework is going to be difficult. But top universities are known for being difficult to get into.

I'm not American, so I'm currently getting my bachelor's for "free", but doing graduate studies in the US sounds attractive.

I don't think online degrees, either undergrad or grad, are less selective, I mean they might be but as far as I understand you apply like a regular student does, after you're accepted you decided whether or not you want to go there physically or do it online, there is no distinction in the selection process as far as I am aware but this might have changed.

oh my bad i thought you mean class selection to fulfill a degree. yes they are still selective at those schools, as those degrees (online) still carry a heavy distinction. The other thing is, online classes are HARD, much harder than physical classes, at least with most people's mentality/discipline. I can't imagine how hard a take home math test would be from MIT.
For graduate school, just focus on a high GRE and experience in the field, that will help you the most (GPA as well). Volunteer a lot.

Ok, thanks.

Would a maths undergrad through the open university uk be taken seriously by a brick and mortar uni when it comes to post graduate work?

MOOCs like MITocw, edx , etc. do not confer degrees.

It's true that Stanford offers masters degrees that are completely online, but the programs aren't any easier to get into than an in-person program. In fact, you have to apply for regular admission and then after you get in, you just have the option of online classes. I believe this is because Stanford is in SV, and its master programs are geared at working professionals, not students.

Stanford MS programs are known for being easier to get into than other similarly ranked programs, however. It's a money maker for them and they accept anyone who they think can complete the program. Acceptance rates are at like 15%

Also keep in mind most master programs don't offer aid to foreign students, and there is zero chance you'll be offered aid for an online program.