I don't give a shit what your 2000 year old book of desert fairy tales says. I'm asking you to defend your beliefs...

I don't give a shit what your 2000 year old book of desert fairy tales says. I'm asking you to defend your beliefs, not for the book to defend it's beliefs. Why don't religious people just kill themselves? They're all so stupid it's mind boggling. They can't even think rationally because they ingrain willful irrationality and stupidity and ignorance into their mind with the antithesis of reason - faith. Why don't they all kill themselves? You're holding smart people back.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Northwest_Ordinance
uscode.house.gov/browse/frontmatter/organiclaws&edition=prelim
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_and_the_woman_taken_in_adultery
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You did it m8. You destroyed Christianity. Congratulations. I'm sure you're very happy with yourself.

Christianity will die out. People will realize that there's no religious morals that make a religious person a better person than a non religious person. We already saw christianity take a huge blow in the age of the enlightenment. As humanity becomes less work burdened, and has more time to think and access to information; due to the internet and industrialization and increasingly automated means of production; people will have more time and resources to realize that religion is all fake. The category of no religious affiliation is the fastest growing population in the united states alone, and will continue growing because that's christianity's weakness; if you consider the ideas of atheism and merely submit to skepticism and rationality, rather than blind trust to authority, your beliefs disappear. It's inevitable, and pieces of shit like you will be a sad footnote of humanity in what stephen hawking calls "the history of stupidity".

lol

>there's no religious morals that make a religious person a better person than a non religious person.
But there are

This thread is dumb
That's not

There are not. The rules of christianity such as the golden rule aren't unique to it, they're rational and universal and can be understood easily. I don't hurt you because I wouldn't want to be hurt. I don't hurt you because I have empathy and compassion, which can be understood intuitively through relating your own experiences to what you observe other people experiencing; you feel for people as you would feel for yourself. Unless of course, you think not mixing fabrics somehow makes you morally superior, or not eating crayfish, or stoning homosexuals somehow makes you morally superior.

I actually agree with you OP. Most religious people I've met tend to think irrationally like women. When it comes to a topic which they can't accept they break down completely.

>But there are

We are waitting.

The belief that humans are not the end all be all to the universe is a sign of humility, a trait that arrogant atheists never seem to have.

not an argument

>implying the OP was making an argument

Have you tried embracing Jesus, user? You sound like you need him in your life.

Wow you are such a fedora, user.

I thought the replication crisis was holding smart people back. What with empiricism being bunk, Kant and Spinoza being right, and induction being as rational as a man about to get married in Vegas. But those are just the current facts, nothing to worry about I'm sure.

Namaste, motherfucker.

>being 13 years old

The only reason why there are christains on Veeky Forums is because edgy and anti-reddit.

Stupid reactionary trendy crap

not an argument

fuck off. this is why people hate atheists, you criticize us but have no answer to our questions. without religion, you have no sense of morality and you can't even talk about what being "right" is. how do you? with zero moral code how can you disavow murder and the deaths of millions?

not an argument

I actually answered this stupid comment here

>without religion, you have no sense of morality and you can't even talk about what being "right" is.
this is so fucking dumb and yet butthurt christians bring it up EVERY SINGLE TIME. Like clockwork.

My personal theory is that people, as civilization becomes less scarce, won't become atheists; but, instead, will engage in master versions of mysticism. So sufism, kabalah, eastern religions, alchemy, the occult in general. They'll start believing in fairies, in demons and things similar to these like hippies in the 60s.

The last man life is so fucking boring, people will get schizophrenic just for the fun of it.

>embracing Jesus

atheists are too far gone, they hate jesus. it's such an egotistical viewpoint they can't envision anything better than themselves. one day they will grow up and realize atheism is just a phase

>sense of morality
>bible based christianity

sure is that special brand of american idiocy in here.

>be raised in a culture with Christian values
>remove the God aspect from the moral code
>call it rational
i kant even rn x-d

Who sez morality is objective, user?

not an argument

Literally the only phrase this faggot knows. Atheism is wrong, k.

What created the universe?

This is the token "sophisticated religious person" argument.

user you're tacitly accepting the axiom that divine command theory is a suitable basis for morality. There are other axioms. Stop acting like there are no systems of secular morality.

Is the only reason you think murder is wrong is because the bible tells you so?

>what is the genealogy of morals
This is basic shit, Christcuck. Read a book.

These arguments are pure sophistry.
>justifying the veracity of beliefs based on their behavioral consequences.
No wonder so many people on here like Peterson's teleological pragmatic notion of truth

Well this is an option, since of course the supernatural is a real thing. That's the other part of religion, the mystical side that exists beyond everyday experience.

This.

>lmao religious sheeple and their preposterous fairy tale delusion that the universe had a creator
>the rational, scientific, and logical position to hold is that everything came from nothing!

Okay fedoras, answer this.

If there is no evidence that God does not exist, then how can you even fucking consider he doesn't exist?

There is no evidence that unicorns exist.

So? Unicorns don't exist, God does.

The rational answer is to admit that you don't know. A maybe is better than an obvious lie.

There is no evidence your virginity exists.

I seriously hope you're just memeing

>obvious lie

If there was "obviously" no God there would be easily obtainable empirical evidence that God doesn't exist

So you can't actually argue back? I thought you fedoras loved arguing.

>morality is rational
You're the worst kind of atheist. You retain every teaching of Christianity (compassion, pity, weakness being good, etc) and somehow think it's rational and universal.

It's not. It's only one of many possible moral systems.

>empirical evidence something doesn't exist

>fairy tales are bad and insulting for a Veeky Forums board
>not reading the bible for allusions
>not reading the apocrypha for funsies
i bet you like sci-fi though

You are an idiot. How was the universe created?

>define something that by definition cannot be proven
>get buttmad that people don't seriously believe in it
There is NO REASON to believe in a god. Absolutely none. Why are you a Christian? Why not a Jew, or a Muslim? Why do you think there is only one god? Why do you think that a human being, an insignificant organism, can undercover these "truths" by reasoning alone? Aren't you just imposing your worldly ideas onto something much bigger than you? Why does the universe have to have a creator?

Because:

1. Sola scriptura

2. And, for extending the fundamental principles of civil and religious liberty, which form the basis whereon these republics, their laws and constitutions are erected; to fix and establish those principles as the basis of all laws, constitutions, and governments, which forever hereafter shall be formed in the said territory: to provide also for the establishment of States, and permanent government therein, and for their admission to a share in the federal councils on an equal footing with the original States, at as early periods as may be consistent with the general interest

3. Religion, morality, and knowledge, being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged. The utmost good faith shall always be observed towards the Indians; their lands and property shall never be taken from them without their consent; and, in their property, rights, and liberty, they shall never be invaded or disturbed, unless in just and lawful wars authorized by Congress; but laws founded in justice and humanity, shall from time to time be made for preventing wrongs being done to them, and for preserving peace and friendship with them.

en.wikisource.org/wiki/Northwest_Ordinance

4. WHEN in the Course of human Events, it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature’s God entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the Separation.

-Declaration of Independence

well of course there's no reason. reason is an artificial construct, and causality is merely apparent, like gravity, which also doesn't exist.
>inb4 user gets mad enough to quote newton's physics as current

>I believe in god because the scriptures are right and I believe in the scriptures because god exists and no one can tell me otherwise!

>I believe in invisible beings irrationally
That's called schizophrenia, get a shrink

not the guy you're replying to, just saying that it is indeed only one of many possible moral systems but not one that necessarily needs to stem from religion

the problem is you're seeing the unicorn as a literal thing and not what it represents

Why don't you idiot atheists fucking understand this?

1) God exists
2) The Bible is the word of God
3) The Bible supports the existence of God
4) Therefore God exists

Need me to explain it further idiot?

I believe user may be alluding to the effect on history of the brief unpleasantness in northern Europe which led to current America and us sentencing those who remained in the Netherlands to death from around the 16th Century onwards.

Lol, hi Lucas. Did you enjoy reading Dawkins again?

this

If unicorns don't exist, why are there so many books about them?

checkmate atheists

devastating argument

>i can't read
user, if you believe in gravity, you are being unreasonable given the immense scientific evidence that it has no validity, much like the strong and weak forces. Schizophrenia is also a junk concept, but let's stick to hard sciences, please.

this has to be b8

You can't even address arguments and questions like this one so hop to it, Lucas.

>I believe in god because the scriptures are right and I believe in the scriptures because god exists and no one can tell me otherwise!

>not even knowing what textus receptus is.

>tipping your fedora this hard

Meanwhile i'll just teleport behind you.

Neck yourself ASAP. Thanks.

It would not affect its objective truth if it were.

>user you're tacitly accepting the axiom that divine command theory is a suitable basis for morality. There are other axioms. Stop acting like there are no systems of secular morality.

most secular morality stems from judeo-christian morality, specifically with the value of life. you can be free to whatever you want to believe now. the problem is when you disregard the historical context of how morality arrived.

>Is the only reason you think murder is wrong is because the bible tells you so?
it's not the only reason. don't strawman. it's a reason that is more compelling that what others propose.

.........wow.........

I used to be an atheist and then I saw this post........................................

I am truly a new man................................i have found God...........................

Why do 13 year olds always act like this? Is stupid in the food at school?

This has to be bait. Does someone need to break this down into a syllogism for you so you can see the casuistry?

no, you can just tell the unicorn guy about narwhals :3

>what is irony

That is the template syllogism for the circular reasoning fallacy. Yikes

No user, you are obviously new to Veeky Forums. You put it in green when you are being sarcastic. Go back to your homework, kiddo.

... the electro-weak and strong forces don't exist ... what? Is this supposed to be green text or something? bait?

I quoted the Northwest Ordinance and the Declaration of Independence to show America is a Christian nation by principle and the Constitution is written in that tradition of thinking, it's what people mean when they say America was founded on Christian ideas. The Supreme Court even said so. The first amendment only means no particular religious denomination should have laws made in their favor forbidding its practice. The country was founded on the free church doctrine, it's why Sunday/Blue laws are a thing and are constitutional, there just can't be a state religion or prohibition of any religion but our entire legal system is based off of Christianity.

"These, and many other matters which might be noticed, add a volume of unofficial declarations to the mass of organic utterances that this is a Christian nation. 143 U.S. 457 (1892)"

"In a 1905 book titled: The United States: A Christian Nation, Brewer explained further:
But in what sense can it be called a Christian nation? Not in the sense that Christianity is the established religion or that people are in any matter compelled to support it. On the contrary, the Constitution specifically provides that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Neither is it Christian in the sense that all of its citizens are either in fact or name Christian. On the contrary, all religions have free scope within our borders. Numbers of our people profess other religions, and many reject all. Nor is it Christian in the sense that a profession of Christianity is a condition of holding office or otherwise engaging in public service, or essential to recognition either politically or socially. In fact, the government as a legal organization is independent of all religions. Nevertheless, we constantly speak of this republic as a Christian Nation—in fact, as the leading Christian Nation of the world. This popular use of the term certainly has significance. It is not a mere creation of the imagination. It is not a term of derision but has substantial basis—one which justifies its use."

The Northwest Ordinance and the Declaration of Independence are part of the organic law of the US.

uscode.house.gov/browse/frontmatter/organiclaws&edition=prelim

Bottom Line: OP is an un-American faggot.

>assuming OP is overweight

Rude

user by what mechanism do you think Christians have been able to weigh certain instructions in the new testament over those in Leviticus and Deuteronomy? Why do you know that "obviously" some passages are to be taken literally, while some are to be taken metaphorically. This moral revision is the product of modern secular morality.

The reason you know that stoning a woman for adultery clearly can't be a literal tenant is because of your modern secular moral intuitions.

>doesn't know what greentext is
>doesn't know the standard model's answer to gravity is "ROUNDING'S FINE"
it's not bait, you're just an idiot.

>The reason you know that stoning a woman for adultery clearly can't be a literal tenant is because of your modern secular moral intuitions.

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. -John 8:7

""""secular"""" moral intuitions

>Veeky Forums - Literature
Take this garbage back to /r/atheism.

Yes. And why do you take that verse over the (numerably more) verse(s) that say the opposite?

>most secular morality stems from judeo-christian morality, specifically with the value of life. you can be free to whatever you want to believe now. the problem is when you disregard the historical context of how morality arrived.

exactly, whether fedoras like it or not they all live using what christian culture made for them

Well actually we're all just enjoying what Proto-Indo-European culture made for us

What you're referring to is called the Pericope Adulterae and it's a load of shit.

Although nothing in this story contradicts anything else in the Gospels, many analysts of the Greek text and manuscripts of the Gospel of John have argued that it was "certainly not part of the original text of St John's Gospel."[3] The Jerusalem Bible claims "the author of this passage is not John".[4] On the other hand, Leo the Great (bishop of Rome, or Pope, from 440–61), cited the passage in his 62nd Sermon, mentioning that Jesus said "to the adulteress who was brought to him, ‘Neither will I condemn you; go and sin no more.'" In the early 400s, Saint Augustine used the passage extensively, and from his writings it is also clear that his heretical contemporary Faustus also used it, as well as a group of unbelievers.

The pericope is not found in most of the early Greek Gospel manuscripts. It is not in P66, and it is not in P75, both of which have been assigned to the late 100s or early 200s. Nor is it in two important manuscripts produced in the early/mid 300s, Sinaiticus and Vaticanus. The first surviving Greek manuscript to contain the pericope is the Latin/Greek diglot Codex Bezae, produced in the 400s or 500s (but displaying a form of text which has affinities with "Western" readings used in the 100s and 200s). Codex Bezae is also the earliest surviving Latin manuscript to contain it. Out of 23 Old Latin manuscripts of John 7-8, seventeen contain at least part of the pericope, and represent at least three transmission-streams in which it was included.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_and_the_woman_taken_in_adultery

Ultimately it provides us with certain precepts to treat ourselves and others. It stresses redemtion, and forgiveness to name a couple. I know, there's a bunch about how gays are fags, but it gives people a way of living of believing something infinite and greater than feeling good.

atheists won't respond to this, they can never win debates because they pull up quotes mistranslated. everything in the bible is backed up in history