Science is Dead

Putting science in the hands of the masses (more specifically uneducated minorities) was the worst mistake Western society ever made. Prove me wrong.

Fuck off.

Science hasn't really been put in the hands of the masses, but the vectors for transferring that information has been radically multiplied. Real science is still being done, it's just that idiots voice their opinions on it.

There's plenty of funding for scientists. Our failure as a society to be scientific is mostly just a failure to actually listen to the scientists we have.

We don't need any more scientists, and we could easily cut science funding by 90% and still be better off if we just fucking paid attention and listened to the remaining 10% of scientists who still had jobs after the cut.

tfw Price's Law

>Normies can't into science, so an entertainment franchise has sprung up catering to normies by offering them "science" as agenda.
this is what ((((they)))) wanted. public education is designed to make fools of us.

Clever fools. Look at the monkey, he can pull the levers in all the right order. What a clever fool.

Does he ever wonder who made the levers, why he pulls them, and what the ultimate result of his labor is?

Well, if pulling the lever make the monkey feel good, why would he ever stop? It's painful to think about.

>science funding at an all time high
>innovation occurring at a faster pace than at any other point in history
>stigma that scientists are deranged, potentially dangerous wizards has diminished
>scientists and engineers have more prestige than ever before
I'd say there is a much stronger argument that science has been strengthened by diversity and mass communication.

that monkey seems to have a rather nice life though... I would like to be one of those monkeys (assuming im not being one right now)

>being so insecure that you don't want to be seen as a "wizard"
my dude, scientists have been pretty alright since the early 1900's what the fuck are you on about.

Wizard is fine; its the deranged and dangerous part that's the problem. People tend to fear what they don't understand, and they tend to destroy that which they fear.

t. super atheist who probably hates religion for killing scientists

I have been thinking about this for a short while. Should scientists be a protected class? And by that I mean, should scientists have special rights? For example, what if unelected PhDs could veto any law that through actions contradicts our most recent research. What if scientists could pass laws without the need to be an elected politician. We could give our highest ranked scientists this power, as a society.

Would this society?

There was a science party during the mid 20th century in America, didn't really work out. Scientists cannot into social like that. Also, with how much scientists push for funding on their works producing works that reaffirm their biases, I'd say no, that's a stupid idea. It's better to have ideas fight it out than just allow a class to have immense authority. That's no different than the monarchies we tried to leave.

>Should scientists be a protected class? And by that I mean, should scientists have special rights?
No, that's dumb.

>For example, what if unelected PhDs could veto any law that through actions contradicts our most recent research. What if scientists could pass laws without the need to be an elected politician.
Please tell me you're trolling. If you want a "science review board" that's fine, but handing out absolute political power to unaccountable people with no training or background in politics is a terrible idea.

>Scientists cannot into social like that.

Exactly. That is why we must sign it into law that scientists are a protected class.

No, I mean what said. They do not understand the political and social landscape because they do not live and study it like they do science. You're literally asking for monopoly of power based on science. If we ever come to find science flawed, where does that leave us? Nowhere better than the church who ruled Medieval Europe.

Wrong on all counts, m8.
Sounds like an extreme technocracy. There are many, many things wrong with that idea and I don't see how it would actually solve any problems.

I don't know man. Even a corrupt society driven by geniuses would be better than a corrupt society driven by ignorants.

Have you seen our politicians?

It will make the process of getting PhD an extremely political one. With power comes corruption.

That doesn't really follow. For instance, if you had a brilliant tyrant, they're more likely to account for every way they could be overthrown and take measures against all of them whereas a moronic tyrant could be taken down more easily. The genius is more likely to come up with ingenious ways to enforce his will whereas the moron may leave cracks in the system that one could exploit to improve their own condition. These are just a few counter examples, off the top of my head, but you get the idea.

>There's plenty of funding for scientists.
L0Lno fgt pls
>cut science funding by 90%
GTFO antiscience fgt pls

>scientists have been pretty alright since the early 1900's
...says the /pol/itard who is ignorant of science.
Lrn2modern-science fgt pls

that's a comfy image

What exactly do we need to know that would be solved by more funding?

I'm not anti-science, I just see the inefficiency of dumping money into science and then not listening to what scientists say.

Example:
>dump tons of money into cancer research
>can't even convince Americans to stop eating known carcinogens all the time

I think your problem is that you're a selfish retard who has barely a chance to make it as a mediocre scientist and you want money like everyone else so you go to the pro-science march and whine about Drumpf and act like your work is what's holding society together.

You're the same as the loggers who whine when the government makes regulations against logging, factory farmers whining about food regulations, etc. You're just a greedy, selfish bitch and nobody should take you seriously if your only gripe is "I want money"

>>science funding at an all time high

Funding is at an all time high only for useless social sciences and medical/health sciences (which are, of course, useful, but not interesting).

Physics, math (except computer science), astronomy, etc funding is low compared to during the cold war.

Science should not guide society anyway. You're supposed to use scientific understanding to more efficiently pursue goals - science should not be a goal in and of itself (for most people)

fuck off /pol/

multiculturalism is the future

just look at germany

greatest budget surplus in years. You think it is not migrant related? Think again

All social sciences besides Economics & Archaeology are shit.

Psychology for example is a complete mess:
>Be t. average Psychology Researcher
>No Reproducibility. Experiment Result which cannot be replicated.
>Muh Feelings matter, Scientific Evidence & Intelligent don't matter.
>Freudian Anal Pseudoscience Bullshit.
>Carl Jung Astrological Horoscope: MBTI
>People arguing if IQ tests are valid or not
>Gender Theory: Thousands of Genders / Gender-Fluid / Bill Kid-Castration Nye

GDP growth happened BEFORE Muslim Came.

Large budget surplus means only that Merkel is stealing more money from population by Taxes.

Not only stealing the German Money. But via EU taxes also stealing from the Entire EU.

All this money going to Social Programs paying Welfare to Lazy & violent Refugees.

All Taxation is Theft

..so you admit it's economic opportunism rather than a genuine crisis.

>hands of the masses
>more specifically uneducated minorities

you're a special kind of stupid.
Also, in no way is science in the hands of the masses.

what do you even mean?
how could teaching people a method of study/discovery possibly be a bad thing?
I think that what you think of as "science in the hands of the masses" is not actually science.

>Science hasn't really been put in the hands of the masses,
The power over it has. Scientists have little influence over amount of funding of real sciences, no influence over what it prioritised or published in general news.

Well maybe that's their own fault.

>All Taxation is Theft
You are more insane than the people who say all property is theft. And those people are nuts

They are at record highs for peace time

>Scientists have little influence over amount of funding of real sciences
We'd all like to live in a world where we can ask for as much money as we want and get it, user, but what do you expect?

No matter how much funding you dump into science:
*you will never force bible thumping retards to believe in evolution
*you will never convince conspiracy theorists that we landed on the moon
*you will never cure any disease by eliminating people's bad habits like smoking, eating shitty food, etc. If the cure is diet and exercise then it's not happening
*you will never invent a time machine to go back in time to make me vote for Hillary

>*you will never convince conspiracy theorists that we landed on the moon
No, but we could exterminate them all

>Prove me wrong.
You're a /pol/tard posting on Veeky Forums.
Based on past examples, there's a 99.9999...% chance you're wrong.

Science failed the moment people who say "science is contrary to religion" started popping around. There is an extreme misunderstanding of what science actually is, even within the scientific community. When you see pop-sci celebrities like Neil deGrease Tyson and Dr. Michio Kaku or any retard in an undergrad/doc/PhD etc program, speaking of the singularity, travelling to parallel Universes and wormholes, that's not science. When people say expressions like "science vs. religion" or when they don't see anything wrong with those expressions, to me that's part of the problem. We know so fucking little about everything, more than half, maybe more than 75%, of everything people say is a fact nowadays is just theories and they are not proven or disproven. I repeat in the case you missed it. We. Know. So. Fucking. Little. About. Everything. Science is dead, not because it was put in the hands of minorities with affirmative action and shit, that's a problem yes it decreases the overall level of universities because they're being flooded with idiots who can't solve Calculus YES but the root of the problem is ideological. People use science as a religion. They don't understand the simplicity of science. They think it's something else like pursuing some kind of ideal mankind should strive to achieve like AI or whatever. And there's no way to change that. The damage is done. It started out with the nerd culture (the original nerds). And then it spread to outer society (nerd wannabes).