Why would anyone want to work as an engineer? It's a shit job

Why would anyone want to work as an engineer? It's a shit job.

/lgbt/

It is a shit job, but:
- I don't get bored out of my skull most days
- People leave me alone
- Pay is ok

Hoping BTC and ETH moon so I can finally retire

For the gay sex.

It still beats being an unemployed physicist or pure mathfag.

>be me
>civil engineering degree
>apply for job
>get called in for interview
>first thing i notice is lgbt flag on wall
>guy asks me what projects I've worked on
>nothing.jpg
>asks what are you most passionate about
>lgbt in engineering
>get hired no more questions asked
>walk in first day
>need to make sketch for an architect qt
>ohboy.dmg
>working on sketch
>half way done
>decide to ask her out to dinner
>she's trans
>whatthefuck.jpg
>finish rest of sketch but don't give a shit about it
>get called for other project
>project manager is gay
>describes plans for gay lesbian museum in l.a
>itsnotameme.jpg
>do an okay job
>get fired for not working harder on gay lesbian museum
>look for other job
>find job
>only pays 40k
>finally get a job
>tfw it's at mcdonalds
>making 50k
>shouldhavedonephysics.jpg

>should have done physics
quality shit post laddy

>should have done physics

its definitely a better subject than engineering but that if your parents are rich enough to take care of your payments because good look finding a job with bachelor physics degree

Is there any STEM major that has any respectable jobs available? I can't think of a single STEM job that I could brag about at a dinner party.

Physician

Why would anyone sit around and post memes online all day?

>he doesn't brag about being a mathematician
Normalfags are fascinated by mathematics. They hate it with a passion, but they're fascinated by it. Tell anyone you're a mathematician and they'll make a face like they've seen a unicorn. You're guaranteed to make an impression.

Finance

Physician isn't STEM.

>be me
>live in shithole country
>final year of mech eng B.S.
>do internship at gas turbine repair company
>company is in the middle of nowhere
>takes 45 minutes to get there
>wake up at 6:00
>get home at 18:00
>engineers there get paid the equivalent of $400 a month for an 8 to 17 job
>only a bit above the minimum wage a fucking mcdonalds burger flipper gets
>it's like this almost everywhere in the country and qualified engineers line up for a chance at one of these wageslave jobs
>thinking of leaving the country but don't want to abandon my homeland
>want to build a better future for the next generation
>see no conceivable way of doing this
>regret life choices
>get depressed
You Americans and Western Europeans have it so easy.

>only a bit above the minimum wage a fucking mcdonalds burger flipper gets
This is very hard to believe. Country?

If you want to follow your high ideals then you need to go to the West and either get into a company that is doing your meme ">want to build a better future for the next generation" or create a startup yourself, which I doubt you'll be able to do because you are on Veeky Forums.

Iran. Engineers fresh out of school are paid only a little bit above minimum wage here.
Government went full retard and started increasing university capacities like crazy a couple decades ago, without considering what they'd do after they graduate. I think we have the third highest number of engineering graduates in the world, after Russia and the US. There are so many STEM graduates looking for work that companies can get away with paying them almost minimum wage, supply and demand.

I wish I was.

They earn more, people respect them and they lead meaningful lives. Meanwhile I'm a math major running around the offices fixing computers at peoples feet. Thank god I minored comp-sci or I would be on minimum wage.

>At family reunion in Tennessee
>Extended family asks what I do
>Say studying physics at uni
>Everyone's impressed
Why do I feel like an asshole everytime?

Maybe you actually go to a sub-par university and know you're a sham.

>At family reunion in Tennessee
>Say Studying physics

At some Rural Redneck State University in Tennessee.

I'd say immigrate to the US but I'm not sure how that would work out because our governments hate each other

you need to stay there and rebuild your desert. We in America are full, thanks.

Then why is there a medical Nobel Prize? Doctors are constantly doing research and their understanding of the human body evolves in much the same way as the rest of science.

Because that response is a literal movie trope response for assholes and people pretending to be something they are not. Don't feel bad if everyone else flips burgers or studies gender.

>tfw software """""engineer"""""
>tfw earn two times as much as the median in the country
>tfw this is only with 2 years of experience
For this feel dear op, for this feel

The nobel prize in physiology and medicine has come to mean nobel prize in biology nowadays. Notice how the recent medicine nobel prizes are given to biologists (academic scientists, rather than doctors). The reason it's called that way is because of historical circumstances.

A doctor can conduct scientific research as well, in which case he could be considered as part of STEM. But the degree itself isn't part of STEM, since its focus is on the application of biological knowledge rather than the development of new theories.

Chemist if you get a PhD and find a good job. Perfect for dinner parties because of lab mishaps and wacky chemical reactions. Also, pay can be good if you make yourself valuable. Study computational / physical and become useless.

Looks better than a Business degree.