Philosophy books

recc. me some books to get into philosophy Veeky Forums

stirner

plato's dialogues. think of a topic that interests you and look for a dialogue that tackles it. without getting into the issue of platonic interpretation since there are shitloads of schools of interpretation, just remember that he is writing stuff more akin to fiction compared to modern philosophical works, so dont take everything the interlocutors say purely literal

dont fall for the eternal anglo OP

>dont fall for the eternal anglo OP
It's just a simplified introduction to philosophy. Calm the fuck down.

fear the gods

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is both very accessible and entertaining.

thanks, will start with some of these :)

I don't fucking get it. I don't fucking get it anymore.
Did you even lurk? Did you ever notice the 100+ threads per week related to philosophy? Not noticing a pattern of Greek-replies?
Noticing that every chart starts with the Hellnes?
Why do you think the START WITH THE GREEKS even is?
The Greeks did it all.
Poetry. Philosophy. Novels. Stories. Plays.

And you won't give them the time of the day to read and educate yourself?
End your meme-existence. desu senpai

Not the OP but a couple years ago I tried to read this and didn't get very far. All of the themes just seemed so blatant and obvious and simplified that it hardly felt worth reading either as a novel or a work of philisohpy. Do you disagree? Should I give it another shot?

ok thanks :)

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe

The second half is better than the first, if you didn't get that far. It's not particularly subtle, but the whole point of the book is that it's about how philosophy impacts us practically (or how Zen applies to motorcycle maintenance). Following Phaedrus' descent into madness while seeing that same struggle play out in the narrator's journey with his son makes for an interesting narrative. It's no philosophical masterwork, but it's sufficiently deep to be interesting while still being very easy to follow.

I really like it.

im memeing but i dont think russell's book is nice as he doesnt makes his biases explicit. to counter my memeing, let me recommend anglo intro books

i'd say if OP really wants a historical introduction to the discipline, check the history of philosophy without any gaps podcast and its books or coplestone's history of western philosophy books. the former's host makes it evident that he studies islamic phil and the latter is an unabashed thomist. the podcast is also v comfy

literally who tf is "coplestone"

depends on what you mean by "get into" philosophy. if you want to really take your time and get to know the whole field, definitely start with Plato. if you just want a bird's eye view and you don't necessarily want to spend years reading everything, Russell's History is plenty good enough.

One of my favorites. If you're into religion or existentialism, you'll like this guy.

My philosophu

>thinker.jpg

my bad its copleston. google should bring the guy up now

just having a chuckle at ye m8, I knew what you meant

did i just get rused

no do not go for stirner it will turn you into a retard