REMOVING ALGEBRA FROM COMMUNITY COLLEGES

>Say Goodbye To X+Y: Should Community Colleges Abolish Algebra?
archive.is/j9EeV

At American community colleges, 60 percent of those enrolled are required to take at least one math course. Most — nearly 80 percent — never complete that requirement.

{A] growing number of educators... view intermediate algebra as an obstacle to students obtaining their credentials — particularly in fields that require no higher level math skills.

Their thinking has led to initiatives like Community College Pathways, which strays away from abstract algebra to engage students in real-world math applications.

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/amp/article/471192/
archive.fo/io2Fz
archive.is/j9EeV
smbc-comics.com/comic/a-new-method
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

only goyim attend CC , I see no problem with this

>SHEEIT, WHY WHYTE PEOPLE BE MAKING MATH SO RAYCISS

More people should attend community college but they won't because of the stigma associated with it or because the look at shitty online rankings.

>MAFF BE RACIS 'N SHIE
>WE WUZ KANGZ WE INVENTUD MAFF

Which one is it?

> """abstract algebra"""

O LAmO I M LAFFIN TTOPKEK @ THIS M8

Eliminating algebra isn't going to help that stigma

Give them Robert Valenza's intro to abstract mathematics algebra book.

You only do one calculation the entire book, the rest are surprisingly easy proofs, so easy quite literally anybody can do them. It's one of the few math books where you can finish it cover to cover quite quickly as an amateur and you will walk away with a great understanding in abstractions.

The problem is CC teaches calculating which is boring, unintuitive, and hand wavy so students hate it because they don't understand it.

I'm not American, so I'm curious to know what the point of community colleges is. As far as I understand, they aren't trade schools, so why do people go there?

They won't actually eliminate algebra. This is clickbait.

It's much cheaper than traditional 4 year colleges.

If you have shit highschool grades you attend community college for a year to transfer to a university.

Or you go there to learn cooking or mechanics or something, as they are trade schools in that respect.

Community colleges are easier to get in, cheaper, and tend to have professors that put more effort into lectures/students.

They are also used by people who didn't do so well in high school to show they can succeed at college. They can then transfer for a bigger research university.

Community college is not for people interested in research or specialized disciplines.

>strays away from abstract algebra

>abstract algebra

>abstract

Kek'd

It's for two kinds of people: those that didn't do too well in high school but still want to into college, and those who can't afford to pay for four years of university. Which realistically is 90% of the population, but good goys take out loans.

I am honestly curious what Veeky Forums thinks of this, besides /pol/ memes about niggers

To me understand that someone taking office administration or medical transcription aren't going to need to know about quadratic equations. But there's such a push to get POC into higher education and STEM, isn't this just going to segregate them further, where POC coming from bad schools will pick programs that have the remediate math courses, shutting them out of STEM

it seems like it'd be better to focus on better math education upstream in hs vs just saying algebra is racist because it keeps black people from graduating. I'm just racking my brain because basic algebra is so useful and applicable to everyday math problems most people would ever need to figure out, I don't think replacing it with an applied statistics or accounting course is going to serve the majority of students.

But I'm an engineer and while I don't use multivariable calculus that much, I use basic algebra all the time, maybe I'm biased

I taught intermediate algebra in a community college for a year. It's full of older students and immigrants. I'm not going full /pol/, it's the truth. Most of these people don't care about the material of the course. I understand in a way, I hardly cared about my humanities and arts requirements as an undergrad. If these people can't simply abstract at one level, they lack basic numeracy and because of that I feel they have no place in higher education. These people should be in trade schools. But so many job requirements now require a 4 year degree so what can they do but enroll in CC get their financial aid and just suck at algebra.

As for dropping it from the curriculum, that is only going to create a stunted class of college graduates. A lot of jobs have technical aspects, and intermediate algebra is a course that helps one practice abstraction and formal manipulation.

At this point I don't care, I work at that level of instructor, my class is not going to affect the wider social problems associated with the problems which arise by dropping basic algebra as a requirement. You do good in my class you pass, you do bad, you fail. So it goes.

It's kind of ironic considering the sjw crowd pushes its course material on the rest of the student body (mandatory cultural studies classes, diversity training, etc) but can't be bothered to solve for x

>tfw the real people keeping a brother down are SJW
>tfw when it's because they are retarded as a race and no one wants to admit it

>tend to have professors that put more effort into lectures/students.
EL OH FUCKING EL

Why can't people accept some minorities are fucking retarded? Asians sure don't have a problem, and we have no issue calling them smart.

God forbid you call blacks mongoloids when they are. We should send whoever SJW administrators that are making this stupid changes in education to live in Detroit.

More time would be a better phrasing for that sentence. I know instructors who didn't give a shit and some who were very passionate about about their work with students. I put in a considerable amount of time for my students, but I had 3 sections, almost 100 students, and no research requirements. So all of my effort was devoted to students. I tried very hard, but I got jaded very quickly as a CC instructor.

To be honest I feel like on some level it should be eliminated. I tutored people at CC in math and most of them don't give a shit about the subject material and I just find it infuriating to tutor them. It really made me realize how shitty it is to be a professor unless you're teaching bright students/ or those that are generally interested in the course.

Maybe CC's should just be closed off. There should only exist Ivy Plus universities. The rest of you should go learn a trade.

>mfw you realize most universities are just 4 year trade schools

Unless you have seniority in the math faculty, i.e. not adjunct, then you are in the suck. Faculty get first choice on classes and always take the ones with the most proficient students. I would have loved to have taught multivariable or linear, but I was always left with pre-college level classes.

Though it may seem in the tutoring center that most of the people didn't care, at least you were seeing the students who attempted to get help. Though I know many students would go just to get the answers. Just imagine how many didn't go for help.

If my CC didn't over algebra or higher math courses I would be REALLY in debt because I would be forced to go to the 4 year uni instead of taking the 2 years at CC then transfer approach.

>what happens when you allow anyone and everyone into your tuition farm to take their loan and grant money?
>most flunk out
>what do you do about it to ensure you get your milk cow?
>lower the requirements for graduating

USA education in a nutshell.

>They won't actually eliminate algebra. This is clickbait.

This is 2017.

Here's the thing that Veeky Forums or /pol/ won't admit in mass, unless you're going into STEM or Economics. You really don't need higher level math courses just the higher level logic that's taught within those math courses.

But since everyone is so obsessed with numeracy and muh filters they readily ignore this fact.

Should we get rid of Algebra courses in Community College? No.

Should we provide alternative courses that strictly focus on the logic behind Algebra without subjecting non-STEM/ economics majors to numerical intensive work? Yes.

Maybe I'm being naive here but If you're going to community college to become some nurse or healthcare technician the only thing I care about is that you have good arithmetic skills and good logic.

You're on the wrong board

if you can't pass high school algebra then you don't have good arithmetic skills or good logic

You're on the wrong board

>no u
Ok good talk

Don't most social sciences require algebra too? Especially to interpret statistics at a basic level.

Maybe they should allow those doing creative/artistic courses to bypass the requirement though.

Except the problem here is that most of these people in question did "pass" high school algebra.

The issue lies in underperforming on placement tests.

theatlantic.com/amp/article/471192/

>Remediation is most prevalent at community colleges, where more than two-thirds of the students are estimated to take such a course, largely because they took a test that found their math or English language skills to be lacking.

For a number of reasons these courses don't succeed at their intended function. The link I provided places blame on the fact such courses yield no credits, therefore waste a students resources, time and demoralize them.

I suspect instead that these courses (and to a large extent high school) do not place enough emphasis on the logic behind Algebra. And only serve to get them "good enough" to pass these test.

The link also points out several studies and surveys that not only show grades received in high school don't equate to the readiness of placement tests. But also implies that within the narrow margin between passing and failing (within a few points of each other) students show no significant difference in mathematical ability.

Meaning that within the immediate left and right of a bell curve exist people who are equally ill-equiped in math ability (or algebra in this case) and the only reason the people on the right side aren't called out on it is because the technically passed the test.

/thread

You are better off taking a few single courses for cheap, learning as much as you can from online by yourself, and making your own business. Some things need certifications, like trade jobs, even IT shit, but those are only tests, you can prep and train for those yourself without classes. However, it costs money to take the tests so if you fail, you'll need to take it again and that costs more money. It'll still be a shit load cheaper than 4-8 years in college, taking bullshit courses you are forced to take in order for them to soak up all your loan/grant/scholarship money.

I dropped out of HS my second year, couch surfed before the internet was a thing, learned a shit load in the library, learned more when the internet came to this area, made a couple businesses, made some good money with them, sold them for more money, and now I am "retired" as a farmer and landlord who can shitpost all he wants on Veeky Forums nearly 24/7/365.

>Especially to interpret statistics at a basic level.
Social science is all about misinterpreting statistics though

>no u
Ok good talk

I'm in community college transfering to a university next year. I worked immediately after highschool to take care of my grandfather and mother, now that I have the privilege of starting my education, I would be furious to learn they removed algebra from community college. It saves me a lot of money to transfer out and I have no respect for lazy sacks of shit. Unfortunately that's what most of these kids do in CC, just piss about and waste their time and parents money and don't even get me started on group projects. Holy fuck.

There's no question.
EVERYBODY should take algebra to a medium level. Even if they are studying for laywer.

Just as any graduate has to take history or Reading and writing.

And what exactly counts as "medium" level Algebra here?

General reading and writing classes for example stop at the end of high school. While everything past that in college (that is not a remedial) is a specialized branch of said subjects. Those branches unless very specifically tied to your major aren't really needed to do your job and mainly exist to make the individual more worldly or cultured.

I learned algebra when I was 10, and I wasn't anywhere near a "gifted" student. At best, it's an exercise to facilitate abstract thinking, at worst, it's a shit-test on whether you're too stupid to function in the business world.

Not him but I'd argue that literally everyone should know at least polynomial arithmetic, nth degree polynomial factorization, and how to solve basic systems of equations. To me, that is the bare essentials for even being remotely mathematically literate. Elementary Trigonometry and Calculus are also useful for everyday problem solving but we're discussing bare minimum Algebra here. So I guess I think that the standards that are currently in place are fine (in theory), it's just that people who are not actually proficient in these things are given a pass that they do not deserve and it eventually catches up with them.

>going into a thread about higher education just so you can cry about black people
i seat the only real racists I've met are fags who managed to get cucked. what's wrong, you couldn't compete with LeShawn in high school and now you spend your time on anime image galleries bitching about it?

Where else but the Ivies will students absorb such useful knowledge on the subject of Negro feminist menstrual dance?

Higher education has been a joke for the last half of a century because of the Jewish infiltration of the institutions.

Spoken like someone who couldn't get into an Ivy Plus college. Stay pleb.

Why do we learn math at all in elementary?
I don't get it. No one uses anything beyond arithmetics in real life.

nice fantasy

Yes.
Not only is algebra unnecessary but it is also racist.

Algebra is racist. Dont take my work for it, take the Dean of the Berkeley School of Law's word for it.
>archive.fo/io2Fz

Because black people cant pass High school level algebra it is racist and should be removed from the cirrriculum.

This is how we will REALLY advance, we need to remove math requirements from graduation

>Elementary Trigonometry and Calculus are also useful for everyday problem
dafuq

The education scheme in a nutshell.

((They)) live off of compounding interest.
((They)) love it when you take out student loans.
((They)) dont care weather you get a decent education or not, as long as you need to make payments to their bank accounts for the next 50 years

If you dont think so, you dont understand it.

These math courses are the ones applied in my daily life most often:
Probability
Caclulus
Number theory (Granted, this one is because I program, normies probably wouldnt use this much)

Best post in the thread

Europeans used trig to navigate the world during colonialism (have no clue why the other continents didn't use it, maybe racism or some nigga shit?), so yes, trig is useful, especially if you are an engineer.

How can math be racist if it was invented by kangz?

>for everyday problem

>not spending each day navigating the globe in search of new land to colonize and pillage

another crypto-trumpie racist faggot trying to relegate blacks to shit tier professions

>Number theory (Granted, this one is because I program, normies probably wouldnt use this much)
Doubt
Unless you count modular arithmetic as "number theory" which makes about as much sense as calling it "abstract algebra"

>archive.is/j9EeV
>One more step
>Please complete the security check to access archive.is
Gee, thanks asshole.

Why do people use this shitty cancerous site?

Don't forget books that cost $100-$500 which are required for the classes and change every semester so you can't just buy a second hand one off a student who already went through the class and the one you bought is now fucking worthless after the class.

>which strays away from abstract algebra to engage students in real-world math applications.

i kinda agree with this actually. of course nobody can graduate in 2 years if they have to take abstract algebra.

maybe we should let them stop at differential equations or real analysis.

theres people who find algebra hard?

Of course.

make a junior junior college for high school dropouts and people who fail the community college math placement exam. have community college students tutor the junior junior schools at minimum wage

Last SMBC is related.
smbc-comics.com/comic/a-new-method

I agree.
There's absolutely no reason to take algebra if you're doing some dumb shit tier degree like history or even if you want to be a surgeon or a physician.

What trade can you learn without knowing maths? Fuck off with this "trade school is the solution!!!11" meme. If someone can't make it in a community college they sure as fuck aren't going to make it in a trade."

>What trade can you learn without knowing maths? Fuck off with this "trade school is the solution!!!11" meme. If someone can't make it in a community college they sure as fuck aren't going to make it in a trade."
Fucking this. Think a carpenter doesn't know trig? I work in oil and gas, and I'm amazed at all of the knowledge that our lowest level guys have to have to do their jobs. Like hell, water transfer guys have to be able to reliably calculate the head loss of a layflat line that goes 20 miles over rolling terrain to place booster pumps.

>There's absolutely no reason to take algebra if you're doing some dumb shit tier degree like history or even if you want to be a surgeon or a physician.

spoken like someone who doesn't understand the power of algebra in every day life applications.

Its not just some skill for STEM majors, its a tool that everyone needs to be able to navigate life in the modern world.

You shouldn't graduate high school if you don't know how to do algebra, and obviously it should be a pre-requisite for attending college.

I just cannot fathom how people struggle with algebra. It's so goddamn simple, especially the "community college level" brand of algebra.

Algebra is simple if your IQ is above 110. People with above 110 IQ don't usually goes to community college.

or because it was the only college they could get into

college ranking is the greatest scam in academia

This. Diversity constitutes 25% to 30% of the points in most college ranking.

Worker ants are all female already, though.

Asexuals.
Sexuated ants have wings, workers and fighters are asexuals.

It's 25$ (Sounds like a good deal)I on Google play, is utt worth dollars or should I just yar hard a copy?

Some people can barely do 5th grade arithmetic.

I'm going to a university for my undergrad and then I plan on applying for my college's nursing program. The nursing positions are being pressured for bachelor degrees now, due to Nurses doing much more work. A community college student for nursing gets a two year degree and call it that. My major is a very difficult major, especially due to Tech's cutthroat nursing school. I think that higher forms of math should be taught to college kids, regardless of the type of college. Doesn't matter if the job "doesn't need it."

Doesn't hurt to have less idiots than out there.

STEM and healthcare jobs are (obviously) very important for progress and innovation. I think that higher level math is a must for any college students.

>paying a gorillian dollars for worthless GE classes when you can take them for ultra cheap and transfer in 2 years

lol

Underrated.

>not knowing how little time/effort uni profs devote to undergrads
thank you for your valuable reaction, user

>in mass
L0Lno
either Lrn2french or else don't try to use it pls

My brother in law is a plumber, mofo has to do applied thermodynamics in order to become a journeyman. I was really surprised when he called me asking about entropy for his homework

Start talking to a welder about metal and you can learn stupid amounts about metallurgy.

>x+y=0 instead of y = -x

yea you guys need a better focus on maths in high school, reducing maths in community collages will only serve to widen the gap from the top tier ones.

Perhaps a course that goes results in the same knowledge as a counterpart but over a longer amount of time is the solution

I am from Australia, in our High Schools it is not a requirement for students to take mathematics in order to achieve a ranking and enter our Universities. Now, we have a problem where people are entering degrees in STEM and people don't know what a quadratic is in their final years

And don't even get me started on the gap between universities and TAFE

>particularly for students of color and first-generation undergrads
Oh fuck they unironically put this into the article, algebra is officially racist now.