What do you think about Bob Dylan as a writer?

What do you think about Bob Dylan as a writer?

Other urls found in this thread:

bobdylan.com/songs/joey/
bobdylan.com/songs/changing-guards/
bobdylan.com/songs/cold-irons-bound/
bobdylan.com/albums/tempest/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

i think hes dead

Shit. He knows it himself.

Nobel worht etoyrt

Not bad, but let's not kid ourselves. It's not like he's going to win the Nobel Prize or anythi.....

>be me c. 800 BC
>hear the news that Homer has been awarded the Noble Laurel Wreath of Apollo for his poetry
>poetry
>homer
>the singer
>hasn't even released anything good since the Iliad
>nobody even listens to his epic for its words
>guess what guys
>all you need to do to become a """poet""" nowadays is sit around singing about nobodies with a lyre
>surely literature will never recover
>mfw

I never got the "le Homer was a singer" meme.

How can one possibly compare Dylan's lyrics with the Homeric epics? If I wanted to read the horrors of war, I would read Homer, not Dylan.

Hell be alright

c'on guys this is more deep that any joyce shit

"In the city's melted furnace, unexpectedly we watched
With faces hidden as the walls were tightening
As the echo of the wedding bells before the blowin' rain
Dissolved into the bells of the lightning
Tolling for the rebel, tolling for the rake
Tolling for the luckless, the abandoned an' forsaked
Tolling for the outcast, burnin' constantly at stake
An' we gazed upon the chimes of freedom flashing."
- Dylan

You're right, they're not really similar. It's just I don't like that Dylan's discounted just for being a singer. Sure they're not Homeric, but

bobdylan.com/songs/joey/
bobdylan.com/songs/changing-guards/
bobdylan.com/songs/cold-irons-bound/
All of bobdylan.com/albums/tempest/

And these are all from the post-electric phase

This is deep if you're 12 years old and a fucking idiot, yeah. Don't get me wrong, he's alright, but he's far from great.

Amazing for a singer, acceptable as a writer. He has some good wordplay and themes that don't feel primitive.

I agree, he should be judged by his lyrics and not his profession. He was, no doubt, very influential regarding popular music, and it wouldn't have developed in the 60s the way it did without him. He did things no one had done before (except perhaps Rodriguez, but he wasn't known at all), and opened the door to a new kind of songwriter.

But as far as poetry goes, he isn't exceptional or innovative. It doesn't mean he is a bad poet, but he is not a poet's poet, so to speak. Unlike Homer, for example.

Even worse than he is as a singer.

The Nobel Committee are a bunch of worn-out hippies whose nostalgia blinds their taste.

If any songwriter deserves to win the Nobel, it's Mark Kozelek.

fuck off

His writing for a singer is absolutely fucking incredible. But compared to other poets he's pretty good

Definitely shit-tier writer

>""""""""writer"""""""""

Leonard Cohen is way better a writer, maybe musician too.

Was

Im personally a fan of his music and poetry, but I think his autobiography is a bit hard to get through

I like him a lot because he delivers a very anti establishment message that many lefties today should listen to today. He also has a very creative christian outlook which pits a mans psyche v. propaganda from every direction whether you're on the far right or left.

Don't forget Sappho

> (((Dylan)))
> (((Cohen)))
Sigh.