Move over coders, physicists will soon rule the silicon valley

Computer science blown the fuck out::::
how will they ever recover...

wired.com/2017/01/move-coders-physicists-will-soon-rule-silicon-valley/
tldr. physicists are actually better suited to do research in cs subjetcs than literal computer science graduates.

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2010/08/ff_webrip/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_55
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Witten
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>zero replies
Veeky Forums confirmed 90% code monkeys who can't deny the truth that cs is a scam

not surprising.
physicists are THE smartest of them all.
history of science is full of examples of physicists going to other fields and making major discoveries, embarrassing the brainlets who studied those fields their entire lives.

Hopefully I, as a computational chemist, can trend-hop this.

This
An example is in Tel Aviv where the huge discovery of RNA editing in cephalopods was made by a physicist

>physicists are THE smartest of them all
not just this but they also learn the best skillset

it's pretty common knowledge that most cs students/grads lack any sort of rigor

>implying it's about rigor
this is exactly why mathcucks are useless as well

if anything, it's the physicists who are the most rigorous
for a mathematician, rigor is about being logically consistent with some fairytale set of axioms
but for the physicists only the most demanding and highest standard of rigor suffices: consistency with the axioms of God, the real world

Physics was created by mathematicians.
>Galileo
>Mach philosopher
>Newton
and so forth

>if anything, it's the physicists who are the most rigorous

But the term "Computer Science" means so many different things depending on which university you're talking about. Many universities "Computer Science" might as well be called "Code Monkey", some universities you could call it "Software Engineer" instead, but at a few of the best universities you could say that their major is closer to "Applied Mathematics".
>"What would we like our children- the general public of the futureā€”to learn about computer science in schools? We need to do away with the myth that computer science is about computers. Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes, biology is about microscopes or chemistry is about beakers and test tubes.

Op here. I honestly cant decide between physics and cs. Cs would be the perfect major, because research fields like macheen learning and everything related to ai sounds really interesting, but i feel like the cs major isnt going to prepare me good enough for it.

Isn't physics just applying math to real world situations?

>trusting Wired's opinion on anything

"The Web Is Dead. Long Live the Internet", August 2010

wired.com/2010/08/ff_webrip/

For Example Richard Stallman.
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman
Famous Hacker, programmer & free software activist.

Harvard BSc in Physics where he attended Harvard Math 55, the hardest undergraduate class in the world, with A grade.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Math_55

He was also a PhD student in Physics at Harvard. But he then dropped out.

He then continued working as Hacker at MIT's laboratory of Computer Science & Artificial Intelligence.

Another famous Example is Elon Musk.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elon_Musk
>At the age of 17, Musk was accepted into Queen's University in Kingston, Ontario, for undergraduate study.
> In 1992, after spending two years at Queen's University, Musk transferred to the University of Pennsylvania, where in May 1997 he received a Bachelor of Science degree in physics from its College of Arts and Sciences, and a Bachelor of Science degree in economics from its Wharton School of Business.
> Musk extended his studies for one year to finish the second bachelor's degree.

>In 1995, at age 24, Musk moved to California to begin a PhD in applied physics and materials science at Stanford University, but left the program after two days to pursue his entrepreneurial aspirations in the areas of the Internet, renewable energy and outer space.

Edward Witten
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Witten
>Jewish theoretical physicist and professor of mathematical physics at the Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey.
>Witten is a researcher in string theory, quantum gravity, supersymmetric quantum field theories, and other areas of mathematical physics.
>In addition to his contributions to physics, Witten's work has significantly impacted pure mathematics.

First and so far the only physicist to be awarded a Fields Medal.

[math] \mathbb{BIG} [/math]
[math] \mathbb{ASHKENAZI} [/math] Physicist
[math] \mathbb{BRAIN} [/math]

The web is dead
The web is a corpse infested with normalfags like you

>normalfag
>because criticized Wired

Is it breakfast where you live, yet?

You're ignoring the times physicists tried to do something in other fields and failed spectacularly. But of course, you'd do that, because the average physicist is a massive blowhard.

Dont forget Witten was a history major with NO formal experience when he was accepted to Princeton's grad program.

Absolutely fucking insane.

The smartest math undergrad students are smarter than the smartest physics undergrad stop debts.

The distribution of talent/potential/intelligence among maths undergrads has a fatter upper tail than the distribution among physics undergrads. This is something that someone who has studied physics or mathematics at a truly elite university like Harvard, MIT, Cambridge, l'ecole polytechnique or others, or anyone who has looked at the IMO compared with the IPO.

However lots of those Maths undergrads end up doing physics or computer science in their careers or postgrad degrees so they end up becoming known as physicists. You see this again and again when you look up physicists or computer scientists or linguists or economists who are thought of as leaders in their field , or I should say so-called physicists. Really their roots are in mathematics.

At Cambridge for example, 90% of the mathematics students could easily the day before starting uni be forced to switch to physics and they would handle the course no problem, infact they'd probably swim through it and be the best students in the class. On the other hand if the day before starting university, students who were meant to study physics were compelled to a maths degree at Cambridge , only the top 10 or 15% would be able to handle the course pretty well. The rest would STRUGGLE and either limp though with poor grades or have to drop out or switch courses.

So sorry mate, if you spent your whole university career studying physics then you're probably a brainlet.

Picking physics because smart people did too won't make you smart, and we all know what made them successful was being intelligent. The truth is that 98% of us are doomed to irrelevancy no matter what field we pick.

Although I think physics crushs every other field I still bow to you mathematicians. With you there would be no physics today. Praise Newton.

>Jewish theoretical physicist and professor of mathematical physics
>Jewish
And people still ask me why I'm so obsessed with proofs. Jewish people are so trustworthy.

>wants to be relevant
>not just wants an average income so you can live comfy for the rest for you life
Academic cuck detected.

So I see the physics fags are up to more faggotry. Physics grads that program are garbage they bug me every fucking hour and then when they feel like they have asked to many questions they sit and stare at the computer until time passes and then ask me more dumb shit. I do data science BTW and most of them think they're so smart for studying physics while they work under me and I'm a jr.

All joking aside why are degrees not suited for their real world occupations?

I'm a physics grad who was disillusioned and disappointed to find that mathematicians dominate mathematical and even theoretical physics, and that I can't into the pure mathematics in time.

So I filtered down into software engineering, and I'm better than most at it. Maths students are too autism and low-level, and CS grads are awful. My lead developer says CS grads are always fucking dreadful at coding and that he never ends up hiring them.

>Isn't physics just applying math to real world situations?

No it's about figuring out or explaining real world situations and empirical results, by attacking them with things like math from your toolbox of tricks.

It's a different mindset. A lot of new mathematics and brand new approaches were developed by physics. It's a 2 way street.

I've seen many an arrogant math major saying "physics is just applied math", then they take a physics class and are like "wtf why aren't I automatically acing this class physics is GAY".

Physics is too complicated to sit around circlejerking toy models all day. Most math majors would rather play with number theory and hate when we come along and dirty it up by making it actually applicable to the real world.

>The smartest math undergrad students are smarter than the smartest physics undergrad stop debts.

You mean mathematical-physicists.

Those guys are insane.

Top math guys are smart. Top physics guys are smart. But rarely can anyone truly go cross discipline. To have the behemoth of pure mathematics and pure physics in your head and make the 2 meld in a way that actually makes sense is just superhuman levels.

And before you say it no math majors can't do this. Every math major thinks they know physics. "It's just stamp collecting". But they never have an intuitive understanding. I've seen math majors in cross disciplinary classes falling behind when problem solving. They look at the questions and go "aha, this is a 3rd degree homotropic polymorphic [more buzzwords here] differential equation! I can solve this! Hah those stupid physics students will never get this one".

Meanwhile the physics students look at the question like "uh, and then that'll cancel with that, transform to this reference frame and obviously the answer is 0 by symmetry". And they're already onto the next question.

well....

CS guy here.

I don't consider myself smart. But half my class is even dumber than me.
And even some of the guy who are smarter than have no interest in theory or mathematics at all, they just those types of guys who want to work jewgle or fakebook making apps.

>All joking aside why are degrees not suited for their real world occupations?
no jerbs in academia because of funding cuts and bloated administrative budgets to fulfill our commitment to diversity

>ML/AI research
literally pajeet north of calcutta wants ml. don't know anyone who wants to go to grad school for anything else

pick up a math minor and try to get some undergrad research positions.
the thing with cs is that basically nobody does research positions because there's better paths to jobs that require only a bs.

>tfw to smart to actually do work

Less to do with the field of Computer Science and more to do with the general ability of a physics major vs a computer science major.

Yeah the CS field is so fucking saturated. They should separate actual computer science (basically just math) and software design

I'm not sure about Harvard but back in the days it wasn't common to have dedicated CS degrees. Many people who would've attended CS today attended physics back then since physics was the closest you got to a degree in CS at some unis.

>physicists are THE smartest of them all.
>Not philosophers
Eh, philosophers from the fucking 18th century are thousand time ahead than the most cutting edge mathematicians/tech and if we have to count contemporary too,philosophy is light years ahead of anything else

This is true. But when comparing the math courses (which often have the exact same name) of cs and physics/math, the approach is completely different. I mean both courses take around the same amount of time, but in the one you learn so much more. I really think, a mathematican or a physicist will still be better suited for the mathematical research fields in computer science.

Considering we're headed towards giving out PhDs just based on how much your ancestors were oppresed, it's actually a good thing math and physics isn't ahead.

Elon Musk is not smart though.

>Theory 2: stupidity. The European Commission didn't consult experts in quantum algorithms. Instead it consulted physicists who are working on building quantum computers and who don't have any real understanding of what future quantum computers can reasonably be expected to do. These people could have been honestly thinking that quantum algorithms are important for big data, because they simply don't know any better.
-- djb

Physicists are provably tryhard retards. Mathematicians laugh at their stupidity all the time.

These

>Accurate statement
>Backs up with a meme link
I'm really split on this.

Math is about rigor and consistency in logic. Physics jumps to too many assumptions.

What, do you even comprehend what you just wrote?

Weak counterbait gtfo

he still studied physics and math as an undergrad, and probably in high school

>switched out of mech eng to physics last semester

Finally, validation.

I think there is a reason physics people perhaps are naturally adept at computer science, if you know what I mean....

Kek, good luck with that

This is not surprising, I have three friends who are professional programmers and one who is getting his degree. While they do know a lot about memory management, writing close to hardware, OS architecture and so on, they are terrible at math (struggling with calc 1 and 2). Actually programming software is very simple, the hard part is designing algorithms, and that's where a physicist or a mathematician shine.
CS grads will always be needed because at some point you're gonna have to optimize those algorithms, but I see them becoming a very niche and specialized field in charge of ensuring speed and system security.

CS grads are also dull people who will gladly work on payroll systems, tax software, databases and so many other boring fields that no physicist would ever touch. They aren't going extinct, although they will probably get cucked out of the juiciest positions.

Physics grad who worked in the valley recently.

I got a long string of rejections from companies despite doing very well (even perfect some times) on interviews. I think part of the reason is that I didn't get much respect for having studied physics, even though I understand advanced CS subjects just as well if not better than those who focused solely on CS.

To add to this:

I did eventually get hired by a startup company. Despite me being obviously smarter than the CS grads (sometimes it would take them weeks of work on a problem to make an imperfect solution, whereas I could just look at it and come up with the perfect solution right on the spot), I was treated as a second class citizen. The boss of said startup reneged on certain promises of financial reward for performing well and his intent to string me along with false promises became too obvious, so I quit eventually.

Physicist with a math degree reporting in.
Suckle my toe, brainlet.

This is not a roleplaying club, despite there being some of you here. Please, stop vomiting your fantasies here as to not take the already abysmal quality of this board even further down.