Why did Newton write the Principia in Latin

instead of his native English tongue

I never understood this?

Other urls found in this thread:

cam.ac.uk/research/news/languages-still-a-major-barrier-to-global-science-new-research-finds
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Most scholars around Europe knew latin so scientific works were written in latin.

Yup. Lingua franca in science was Latin. Then German, now it's English.

Because why not?

Because Latin back then was like English right now.

>Publishing a German article about how English is the dominant language of scientific publications

Latin, French, english

English isn't as dominant as Anglos think.
cam.ac.uk/research/news/languages-still-a-major-barrier-to-global-science-new-research-finds

Newton was also notorious for making his work incredibly inaccessible in order to deflect amateur criticism, he only wanted criticism from peers and not peanut gallery scientists at the time

Am I having a fucking stroke I could swear I see a sizeable Portuguese language contribution

Angolans

I bet a Taiwanese person made this graph.

But isn't it true that continental european scholars didn't even know about Newton until the 20th century

that only anglo scientists knew of him

why? Chinese flags represent Simplified Chinese and Taiwanese ones Traditional Chinese

I see, so that's why they distinguish the two. I suppose one could argue that these are just distinctions in script and that language remains the same, but I suppose that would be a matter of how one defines 'language', which would be a pointless semantic debate.

Latin was the literary, religious, scientific and generally intellectual language for much of Europe for many centuries. Though native languages quickly overtook Latin in literary pursuits, I believe. I think religious use was the last to die, might even still be in use today, though it's generally a dead language of course.

"Simplified" and "Traditional" just refers to script, not whole language. Most Chinese languages use the same script anyway. That was its purpose. Apparently Mainland Chinese perceive the Taiwanese Dialect of Mandarin (in additions to its other languages) to be feminine.

not true at all... newton was famous worldwide among scientists and considered revolutionary

Where did you get this idea?

ffs. I can understand 6% chinks, but what the fuck is wrong with Spanish and Portuguese.

There shouldn't be a European language besides English on that list.

I think you forgot latin America exists

I wasn't talking about a geographic barrier here.
What I mean is that all European languages are so close to English that anyone capable of getting a paper published should be capable of learning English.

I never even opened an English textbook in my life, I learned English playing vidya,watching movies and wasting my time arguing with retards online.

>spanish
>close to english
lolwat

English is still a retard-tier language though, so no excuses

Spoken like an absolute brainlet.

>american education

his parents were latino

might be the huehuahues

religous digestability

catholic doctrine in still supreme in matters of science

Latin was the lingua franca.

1: Latin was known around Europe, so everyone could understand it.
2: English wasn't very standardized and spellings and words depended on where you grew up. It still is.

>everyone
Pretty sure only upper class, educated, and monks knew it. Lower class (majority of pop) still didn't really read or write back then

It's funny because this will trigger the french.

this

He was talking to pigs.

Published by the German Kultusministerium.

Why would German public officials publish anything in English?