The old man and the sea

Is this worth reading?
Thoughts on this?

My mom just gave it to me for my birthday and I had no interest of reading it

You can finish it instead of watching three episodes of little witch academia. Just do it.

>hasn't read all of Hemingway's bibliography

It's a fucking amazing little book.

At your age you should be doing whatever your parents think is best for you.

I'm 36?

>inb4 haha he's a NEET that lives with his parents at 36

haha he's a NEET that lives with his parents at 36

Literally top 10 for me.
a perfect little parable.

Why not just read it? You can finish that thing in one sitting

classic.

my professor made the point that when the old man takes a piss, he stands with his back to the boy so as not to reveal his penis to the boy.

Faggot

Old man confirmed for dickless Jake undercover

the audiobook is on youtube if you just want to pretend that you read it

No, don't do it. I nearly threw the reader at the wall after reading that trash. Hemingway is honestly the most overrated author I've ever read. I truly pity the americans that have him shoved down their throats just because they have nothing better. His prose is pathetic, his themes are nonexistant, and his symbolism is on t he level of sunday morning cartoons.

You may as well, since it's short enough to read in a few hours. It's not especially mindblowing but I enjoyed it.

>I nearly threw the reader at the wall after reading that trash
Why do so many people have specifically this reaction to Hemingway? I think it's mostly dudes who aren't perhaps as masculine as they may believe, raging against the truth of Hemingway's description of what they're not, yet are expected to be.

>dislike a novella
>immediately throw a temper tantrum
You're not in the position to pity anyone

Pathetic.

more like heaps gay lmao

Just read it, it's only an hour and a half long.

It's a good story, probably made better by the fact that none of us know the technicalities of fishing outside of a rod and pole by the lake.

However the writing style is weird and downright objectionable at times.
The very first page Hemingway writes that the old man has "benevolent skin cancer," and that is probably where I spent a good half hour of my time on this book.
Hemingway, you stupid dirty cunt, did you mean a "healthy tan"? Just a really dumb phrase all round.
Then there's the run-on sentences elongated by the word "and", which usually end in a non-sequitur about how something was something and something and something and how he loved it for it.
The strange imagery disappears after the "benevolent skin cancer" line until near the end of the book where the Old Man says "Ay" and the narration then describes "Ay" as not a word but a noise, a noise that a person might make when a nail is driven through their flesh into wood.

It's another headscratcher. Why the sudden crucifixion imagery? Hemingway even had the gall to say "hurr durr my book has no symbolism, it is what it is" in an interview.

Anyways, nice little story about a guy catching a fish, but obnoxious and poorly written all the same. Hemingway was a retard.

You're precisely the kind of impotent male lashing out ineffectually that Hemingway's most piteous characters embody.

10/10 made me kek hard

I'm not a huge fan but I do think you're being a little bit anachronistic. Synchronicity was the point and a lot of times it comes off as sounding dumb. It was a new gimmick in his time.

do you even know or care to know what benevolent skin cancer is? Instead of spending half an hour scratching your head you could've just looked it up.

do you maybe have benevolent skin cancer?

I surely do have it on my head and I'm scratching it right now

Hemingway's characters are hardly all that masculine. Like he himself, they only seem so due to constant contrast with the effete post-war fags surrounding them.