What's the best language to learn and why is it German?

What's the best language to learn and why is it German?

Other urls found in this thread:

stihi-rus.ru/1/evgeny_onegin-1.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=8l23aMYabv4
youtube.com/watch?v=e_toTeFr0nk
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It is if you want to sound like an Orc.

german is definitely the best language to learn if you want to sound like a man with a speech impediment chewing tin foil

After watching Downfall, I think I need to take a break from hearing German. But it's always good to have another language.

Fickt euch ihr Neger

>not spanish
Step it up.

It's okay but I seriously can't be arsed to learn a language spoken in one country and some neighboring countrylets. For the same reason I cannot push myself to study italian, or japanese, even though I engage in weebshit sometimes

Germans aren't fun to talk to anyway. Austrians are a little more relaxed. The Swiss are terrible. I just learned it for all the memes there are to read anyway.

Language learning priority for English-speakers:

1. Latin
2. French
3. German
4. Italian
5. Spanish
6. Russian

Was ist die Endlösung der Judenfrage?

the language of love

speak it well and you will be fortunate

For what retarded reasons is latin top priority, again?
Roman literature isn't even good, you read Ovid, and Virgil, and you're sort of done

Ästhetik

How did you reach this conclusion?

1. Attic Greek
2. Homeric Greek
3. Biblical Greek
4. Hebrew
5. Latin
6. Sanskrit
7. Coptic
8. Old Church Slavonic
9. Gothic

>learning living languages
>not being a pleb

Ash nazgh durbatuluk!

Biblical greek is koiné

>Learning Latin without learning Etruscan first.
ISHYGDDT

>he has only heard German in war movies and funny youtube memes
Chill, burger.

Livy's History of Rome is must-read

Its not poetry, it's not even fiction (he obviously bs'd a lot though), particular language doesn't matter.

this

#1 English
#2 Japanese
#3 dead languages
#4 constructed languages
#5 everything else
#6 Nordic languages

>Japanese
kys

How do you learn German? What are some good books?

>who is Catullus
>who is Horace
>who is Propertius
>who is Tacitus, Seneca, Caesar, Cicero
And Latin is top priority because it's fucking easy as shit for an English speaker

>Japanese

Baka

>who is Catullus
A retard who wrote poetry about dicks.
>who is Horace
some guy
>who is Propertius
Never heard of
>who is Tacitus, Seneca, Caesar, Cicero
Politicians, historians, generals, philosophers, not writers. Cicero is known for his remark about latin being fucking shit compared to greek

Official reading order
>English
>French
>German
>Italian
>Latin
>Greek

Beside Dante, why is Italian before Latin and Greek ?

Read neetchie and then you can talk about truth.

>no Spanish
>no Russian
>Latin higher than Greek
How can one man be this wrong?

You only need English.

I'm curious about learning Russian, but it is not a commonly learned language in these parts (if anywhere). It'd be a massive effort and likely little reward. But you know, that might be changing, day by day.

>Not Spanish
>Can talk to 90% of the world if you know both English and Spanish

>implying billions of Asians know either

It's not useful outside of media consumption and it's not going to change in our lifetime. Unless you're posting from an Internet cafe in Uzbekistan, you will never need Russian professionally.

Russia only has a few meme authors.

Spanish is the shit-tier babby version of French/Latin and is useless for literature unless you have a hard-on for Cervantes.

Dante is justification enough for learning Italian.

>either retarded or pretending
Okay.

Why would you want to 'talk to the 90% of the world', again?
90% of the world is retards.
Most popular languages are spoken by the shittiest people of the most boring, trashy cultures. Spanish unlocks to you the wonders of talking with your local drug dealers and border-hopping chicanos, chinese allows you to enjoy the wonders of dystopian commie hivemind, arabic lets you get blown up by ISIS while praising Allah, Hindu welcomes you to the pooland.
European languages are the only languages that matter.

>muh Bible fanfiction
Are you one of these faggots who urge people to study spanish "just for Borges"?

We're moving onto levels of edginess never thought possible. Consider

All you need is English

Dante is one of the greatest poets of all time. He is worth it.

Calvino, Eco and every other opera out there

This.
>Spanish has millions of speakers and yet has only produced a handful of great writers
At this point I'm convinced that the Moor gangrape of Spain left them with a lower IQ due to Arabic admixture.

The Spanish are the niggers of Europe.

I don't care about /pol/ m8. It doesn't take a racist to see that european culture is vastly superior to any other. Wasting your time on languages and literary corpus of other regions is irrational. It's their job to catch up, study our languages, and marvel at the beauty of western canon, not vice versa

I'm currently learning Russian and really enjoying it. It's not nearly as difficult as I thought it'd be.

Is German really good or are you just 'le natsoc' ?

Depends on what you mean by good.

Well idk but everyone here always praises German language. Like idk it doesn't sound good in my ears. Idk why you guys like it, but yeah i mean this is Veeky Forums

>le natsoc
>le white pride
>nigger go home !

Chinese and Japanese have the best poetry though.

German is beautiful and there is tons of great literature in it. Stop trying to make everything about /pol/

How do you know they do ? Can you speak the language ? Or did you read the english translated books ? How can the goodness of another culture still be as good when translated to other language and be read by people from different cultural background ?

As a slav, it's deeply wounding to me that Veeky Forums only studies russian for meme novelists like Dostoevsky and Tostoy, while ignoring the golden mine of poetry
How much of the greatest poem ever written can you understand, pham?
stihi-rus.ru/1/evgeny_onegin-1.htm

Get back to me once I've studied enough Russian to read Russian literature and poetry in Russian.

>Onegin
>greatest poem ever
>tfw ceгoдня cyббoтa и тeбe нe нaдo в шкoлy

Кyкapeкaй oбpaтнo нa двaчик, vatnichka

This is the correct answer.

German is a gorgeous language.
youtube.com/watch?v=8l23aMYabv4
>Hellenophiles

Maybe but it's kind of ancient, and written in a dialect you'll never really understand.

>двaчик
>2017
kys кoмpэйд

>*Hits blunt

I have never understood the appeal of the Romance languages.

Spanish sounds like you're always flustered and tripping over your own tongue.
French sounds pretentious and snooty.
Italian: See Spanish

It's probably a bias growing up in a German-American household, but German can range from calm to passionate without sacrificing intelligence.

I realize these are just your own personal opinions, but as a speaker of German, French and Italian I can't help but notice, how absolutely retarded they are.
>growing up in a German-American household
Forty kekks says you can't do a proper uvular trill consistently.

Not him:
>proper uvular trill
People have difficulty with this? I've always been able to do it, but can only do an alveolar trill that sounds like an idling engine.

Define proper.

I'm in Chicago, so granted, my exposure isn't as great as yours, but Spanish sounds uneducated whenever I hear it.

>tfw growing up my parents either wanted me to speak Spanish to communicate with the masses
>or chinese as a 'business' language
>only heard German at family gatherings when Oma and Opa were present
>tfw Opa died a month after he promised to start teaching me German
>tfw too old to learn how to sound anything but stupid American tourist

>the too old meme
It's called lazy.

Bro, it's been proven that after age 9 (iirc) your accent is just about set for life. I'll always sound like an American to a European.

Then explain to me how Indians can learn to speak in perfect American English when they're trained to work customer service jobs? If they can do it, you can too. And no, they don't learn as kids.

>indians
>perfect English
What help lines have you been calling?

>hurr durr it's been proven
It's called lazy. Yes, it's harder to learn when you're older. No accent doesn't "set" at any age, you dumb lazy shit.

i had the most awful french accent when i was in my teens

i actually practiced it and now its truly not bad. obviously it will never be godly native speaker tier, but its hardly objectionable.

also this

I'm a native German speaker (I'm from Switzerland). French > German > [romance langages] > English

1. French
2. German
3. Italian
4. Russian
5. Japanese
6. Spanish
7. Greek

>tfw you will never be a sub to a beautiful Nazi dominatrix

>2017
>Trump & Bannon's America
Give it time, user. Don't give up on your dreams!

¿What did you call me pendejo?

youtube.com/watch?v=e_toTeFr0nk

I hold classical latin as the gold standard of phonetic prettiness. As a native ruskie, I think I'm just more attracted to sharp languages, where you can sound out every out off the top of your lungs. For that same reason, I think spanish and italian are pleasant, while french is horrid with it's overabundance of muffled 'ju' sounds and their throat cancer version of 'R'. On that scale, english and german are somewhere in the middle, chinese takes the cake as the most disgusting language ever, it fucking hurts to just listen to it.

duolingo with google for grammar rules > Children's books > Der Spiegel

>French above German

no language is worth learning unless you don't already speak one

language is nothing but one tool

if you've got a red wrench do you really need a blue one?

>tfw you wish you could understand this comments thread

The obvious answer is:

English for the best translation of the western canon

Italian for the best translations of Opera

Russian because, even though their governments are historically the worst, their writers are historically amazing.

French because misc writing is great.

Ultimately English is the lingua franca and we've all found good translations for nearly everything worth reading in English. The only thing that might be missing is worthwhile Asian lit and some SA lit (although westerners have translated most SA lit and recognized for its worth)

Any language is the best language to learn if you are interested in, and want to engage with the people and culture it is used by

I learn German (besides English), but learning a language just for the language's sake is stupid (unless you are a linguist or something)

>learning a language just for the language's sake is stupid (unless you are a linguist or something)

(Not true, by the way)

Russian is best language to learn. it is beautiful and strong, but does not sound like dirty mongrel rapist as Romance languages do.

>learning a language just for the language's sake is stupid (unless you are a linguist or something)
Go back to 9th grade Spanish club you fucking waist of human life.

Because of its efficiency, its facility for creating new concepts and the precision of the language thanks to its grammar.

Is there any painter so overrated on Veeky Forums as Repin?

You're just racist

>learning Russian for about 9 months
>enough vocab to get the gist but still need to lean heavily on a dictionary

I'm going to spend the rest of today reading Pushkin poems and taking down vocab. You've inspired me to do so.

Gas.

Pushkin is pretty shit for learning the language. Half the vocab is outdated and useless. Pick up something more modern, go back to Pushkin later for appreciation purposes.

Be advised, the language of Pushkin is a bit archaic, which mostly concerns many declined and conjugated word forms that went out of use. For example, nobody says 'вoлeю', 'бpeгaх', or 'мнeнью' anymore. You can still read 95% of it just fine, but some words might be confusing.

Any more modern poets you would recommend?
At least in terms of modernity of language