Stack thread/recent purchases

Stack thread/recent purchases.

Show us what you got.

dunno whether to be impressed by the Basho or disgusted at an abridged tale of genji.

why did buddhism change so much from the orignal pali cannon?

>weeb buys books he'll never read to provide a backdrop for the anime figures on his shelf

Fuck, I seriously didn't know that was an abridged version.

Do you think it'll be fine or not even worth bothering with?

Because it has been in constant (mostly) peaceful competition with several other religions and schools of philosophy, and has therefore been forced to adapt itself. Same reason Hinduism has changed so much from the Rg Veda.

Stack beside my bed. I finished A Farewell to Arms last night and am already reading A Long Strange Trip. I want a smaller book to read tho and was maybe planning on reading either Dr. Bloodmoney or A Wrinkle In Time. The Ellison is there just to pick through at my leisure.

How much did that stack cost?

Top 2 are recent purchases. Bottom two I left at my parents house that I'm currently visiting.

I'll figure it out just for kicks. All the price stickers should still be on em.

>A Farewell to Arms
$4.00
>A Wrinkle In Time
$4.50
>Dr. Bloodmoney
$25
>Paingod
$12
>Ellison Wonderland
$12
>A Long Strange Trip
$15

You add em up nigga.

Because Indian Buddhism demanded a lot that Confucians could not deliver, such as the renunciation of the family.

How interested overall are you in Jlit? If you manage to get through all of Heike without being bored, you could re-buy and read Genji. But imo an abridged version is fine for the casual reader.

Currently reading, missing fagles's Iliad

ah nice are these your dads

Those all look like terribly written and uninteresting books only there to reinforce your political beliefs desu.

No, I just went through a cringe neo con phase when I was a sophmore.

I feel you, I actually went through a Neo-Nazi phase when I was younger. Way before this whole alt-right thing came about.

You've got to be kidding me. You're going to read months of Newt Gingrich?

>nisioisin
I read some Death Note side-story by him a while back. I'll re-read it now actually, see if it's still any good

>nisioisin

I've watched a bit of his Anime adaptations but I wasn't terribly impressed.

Are his novels good?

Shit linked the wrong comment.

Kizumonogatari felt better than Bakemonogatari in a lot of ways because the latter relied a lot on the banter dialogue (which at some times really is funny). He has a few cutesy little meta moments too, like a character speaking with an underline and the character replying pointing out the underlines.

I'm a fan of the anime so I can't really say that you would like the novels without lying.

I mean for me the greatest part was the banter between our lead and his purple haired girlfriend but what I didn't like was the side stories.

Bakemonogatari Part 1 would probably interest you then. The first section is almost all banter between those two.

Not a bad haul from mckays the other day. Went again today and got the gulag archipelago for a nickle. Gonna miss that store when i head home tomorrow. Also picked up some shadowrun novels i didn't already have and star maker for 2$ each. Dont have a pic of those since i left them in the truck for the trip home.

The bible is a third edition that was bought as a gift for me. There is a forth edition out now. Are the changes enough that i should go ahead and get the new edition?

moby dick literally just arrived

not the prettiest edition, its pretty small and so is the font-size but it is cheap as fuck so overall its ok

hey, first time seeing volumes of 'britannica great books' here. see

That herodotus was on the shelf but i already own the landmark and norton critical editions so i didnt pick it up.

I recently received a new copy of moby dick also! Was about a month ago but whatever. Haven't gotten to it yet but it's next on the list after roadside picnic.

Recent purchases

Lots of people buying 1984 lately.

What made you buy it user?

That's a big Dick.

Saw it in the bookstore for cheap and I liked animal farm so I decided to get it.

have you read a brave new world?

I haven't, is it good?

I hope you have at least a hundred political books in your collection already to justify that much Gingrich

It completely pneumatic

the think 1984 but oppression though what we like

pneumatic makes no sense

The cover makes it seem like an epic adventure book.

By Ford and the great Model-T, just read the book, it's full of pneumatic freemartins doing orgy-porgys with soma.

Ausfag coming through

Anyone else here go to the Lifeline book fair in Chatswood today?

found 100 bucks on the ground today. What books should i buy Veeky Forums?

I've actually heard the 3rd edition is better. I have the 4th and I think it's just fine.

Jordan Peterson

1984, apparently.

5 editions of Dante's Divine Comedy

You should buy a PKD lot off of Ebay.

Post book shelf so we know what you have already

this is a very sexy stack, im a fan.

>stack not upside down

lel my little sister got the one on the right from her school library

Wrapping up Dio this weekend, still waiting on a few more loebs in the mail. Gonna read the Finley book before rereading Homer, and Xenophon before moving from Plato to Aristotle.

haven't really read much in the past year for reasons
i picked up mishima's the sailor who fell from grace with the sea and am enjoying that shit so far

Good choice user... Good choice
Cassius Dio and Herodian deserve some love.
(How much did you spent for every Dio's book?)

Kind of interested in Stoicism at the moment.

you fell for the infinite jest meme lol

Damn, they look so nice.

Blood meridian.

Thanks user. The loebs are $26 each, but I recently started only buying them during the (roughly monthly) 20% off sales from barnes & noble. It's the biggest set of loebs I bought one book at a time, and I was so broke that it's been almost a year since I read the first four volumes.

Thanks!

Very cool.

Epictetus is best

Weebs.

Very nice stack user.

Last book in mine is Les Héritiers by Bourdieu.

>French literature

>actually got IG
kekerino

that's the best English edition of the heike, well done. very extensive historical intro and footnotes.

Before I even really knew what Stoicism was all about I had always practiced a similar mindset. Not as extreme, but quite similar. Epictetus has put into words thing I have always felt which has been amazing.

I really believe this is one of the most important books I've read in my life so far.

>purchasing novels that are rated below 4 stars on goodreads

why waste your money?

>Basing your purchases on goodreads ratings.

Thank you

Yeah, i have a daughter and got it for her

That's like basing your art taste on DeviantArt

Read Borges' poems. Beautifully crafted shit there, son.

Where'd you get the Arion Press copy? (and for how much?)

Of all the conservative authors out there, I can't fathom why anyone would want to read Newt Gingerich. Please explain.

>all that borges and rabelais
i cume

Those Great Book copies of Decline and Fall aren't really for reading, they're for reference with the syntopicon.

Grab a paperback to read that one, it won't be torture.

R8/h8

>syntopicon
thanks for letting me know.

I've read it twice & enjoyed it. But then again, I was addicted to painkillers for 3 years prior to my first read.

moldy/ten

astrally projecting

Ridiculous stack. Please come back when you decide to read something worthy.

bit

ruben dario
hope ur cute

that pillow book is abridged right?

Halp pls

Tasmania had a Wild West?

The entire West of the island is uninhabited, undeveloped, natural wilderness. There is only national parks, abandoned mines, and almost abandoned towns like Queenstown and Zeehan.

Not enough John Green.

Awful collection. Couldn't find anything with literary value.

Wolfe, Banks, Bester, Graves?

I hope so too, user-kun.
I'm not displeasing at least

Tbh, that Faust and GR are at least 20 years older than I am

Isabel Allende and Wolfe

Bump for this weeb machine.

I came.