QTDDTOW

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread

Ill Start: How are the translations in books from the Folio Society. They look great as books but I'm hesitant to spring on them because I want to know if they translated foreign and old texts properly.

The only book worth getting from these overpriced fucks is the illustrated Finnegans Wake

You'd have to take it on a case-by-case basis. The same applies to translated books coming from anywhere.

Folio doesn't translate the works. Google translation reviews for each individual book you're interested in. Most are fine, but every once in a while they suddenly decide to go with some shitty/antiquated translation over better ones, particularly in Philosophy and Religion sections. Sometimes it happens because they reprint older books instead of commissioning a new edition.

>overpriced fucks
t. poorfag
>illustrated Finnegans Wake
t. pseud

These books look like disgustingly horrible kitsch objects. Modern art illustrations? Is that right? Ugh.

Are they at least actual, 50cm folios, or is it just in the name?

Here are a few of my recent acquisitions. Now THOSE are actually good-looking, unpretentious little old books, and I love holding them in my hands and reading them with the care they deserve...

>I am poor: the post

Those books are pretty expensive actually. Two of them come from the 19th century, one is the only one-volume complete edition of Pessoa's poetry that I know of, the other is a very rare book by a forgotten author, and the other two are from the early years of the past century.

Not that I'm rich. I just spend a lot of money on books...

Being poor is not the lack of funds, it's the state of mind. Like desperately trying to discredit something you can't afford.

also
>DUDE 19TH CENTURY

What does this statement MEAN?

I'd really appreciate a take on this

What separates stream of consciousness from mindless rambling?

Being published.

Whom do I need to read beforehand, in order to start reading Nietzche?

START

I want an actual answer, if you will.

Seneca, Kierkegaard, maybe a little Kant

That's the actual answer, most of Nietzche's work is about criticizing the Greeks.

but what if I won't

>tfw too sick with the flu to read and actually understand what i'm reading, i'm dying here

Any books for this feel?

Freddy is one of the most accessible of the great philosophers, so you really can just dive in cold and get a lot out of it.

Dostoyevsky

>I am a sick man...

>Those books are pretty expensive actually. Two of them come from the 19th century

woo the 19th century. that sounds pretty old huh?
mate the books you posted are the kind my local antiquarian bookshop throws out or puts out on the bargain shelf at £3 each or passes on to oxfam

any recommendations for reading about fatalism/determinism?

Richard Taylor

I'm about to start reading the iliad, should I skip the 65 page introduction for now? It's the penguin Fagles version.

I have that same Pessoa book and lets start laying down the truth bombs.

First, the poetry is not complete, also, that edition is pretty easy to find (usually with the prose works as well, so you got fucked), and it's usually super cheap (since there have been multiple editions from the mid 70s up to the mid 90s, I believe)

The rest seem your usual sebo stuff, nothing out of the ordinary.

Are there any nonfiction books about waifuism?

what are some works about myths of creation? I'm reading the silmarilion and I like that sense of scale
>inb4 The Bible

MY

only every mythology ever

is reading 1264 pages of this worth it?

depends what you want to get out of it

schopenhaur, the early german romantics (novalis)