Tfw Stoicism doesn't work

>tfw Stoicism doesn't work

>he's not an Übermensch yet
Can't believe I'm on the same board with such scum.

>tfw user puts the responsibility on Stoicism and not on himself
missed the point there

Try harder

take the dharmapill

>I didn't get it

Should have just said.

I know Stoicism works but I'm not strong enough.

needs to be supplemented with meditation.

Stop acting a like a bitch

>blames the ideology and not his own will
You don't have what it takes to be a true Stoic.
>blames his own will instead of the ideology
You have the potential user. Maintain constant pressure on strengthening your resolve and you'll get there eventually.

that's what askesis is for.

strength comes with training

>epictetus
>aurelius
>seneca

What else do I read to get into Stoicism?

Any good secondary contemporary lit on the subject?

>tfw stoicism is a lie for weaklings to stay crushed underfoot propagated by Men with big boots

Read Nietzsche BTFO Stoicism:

“According to nature” you want to live? O you noble Stoics, what deceptive words these are! Imagine a being like nature, wasteful beyond measure, indifferent beyond measure, without purposes and consideration, without mercy and justice, fertile and desolate and uncertain at the same time; imagine indifference itself as a power—how could you live according to this indifference? Living—is that not precisely wanting to be other than this nature? Is not living—estimating, preferring, being unjust, being limited, wanting to be different? And supposing your imperative “live according to nature” meant at bottom as much as “live according to life”—how could you not do that? Why make a principle of what you yourselves are and must be?

In truth, the matter is altogether different: while you pretend rapturously to read the canon of your law in nature, you want something opposite, you strange actors and self-deceivers! Your pride wants to impose your morality, your ideal, on nature—even on nature—and incorporate them in her; you demand that she should be nature “according to the Stoa,” and you would like all existence to exist only after your own image—as an immense eternal glorification and generalization of Stoicism. For all your love of truth, you have forced yourselves so long, so persistently, so rigidly-hypnotically to see nature the wrong way, namely Stoically, that you are no longer able to see her differently. And some abysmal arrogance finally still inspires you with the insane hope that because you know how to tyrannize yourselves—Stoicism is self-tyranny—nature, too, lets herself be tyrannized: is not the Stoic—a piece of nature?

But this is an ancient, eternal story: what formerly happened with the Stoics still happens today, too, as soon as any philosophy begins to believe in itself. It always creates the world in its own image; it cannot do otherwise. Philosophy is this tyrannical drive itself, the most spiritual will to power, to the “creation of the world,” to the causa prima.

I meditate but I have trouble creating the habit. And these days I find it even harder because I'm more anxious by the hour.

I wish.

Thanks user.

I feel like my lack of strength is stopping me from being an ascetic.
I know asceticism is what's best for me but I can't stick to NoFap and I smoke half a pack a day.

>I feel like my lack of strength is stopping me from being an ascetic.
>I know asceticism is what's best for me but I can't stick to NoFap and I smoke half a pack a day.
That's kind of like saying weak arms stop you from lifting weights. Sure, they stop you from lifting heavy weights, but that is why you start with light weights and work your way up.

Baby steps.

That's not only BTFO Stoicism but all philosophy.

Nietzsche says he fights nihilism but he causes more of it than he solves.

Maybe your brain doesn't work

This sounds like a strawman argument to me, seeing as how Nietzsche is describing "nature" in such a biased way. From what I recall the Stoics' idea of nature isn't like this description at all, rather it refers to the idea that a human's natural state is to live according to reason and in a way that helps your social community.

You strive towards it as hard as you can.

Do good deeds, don't act against your nature, stay calm, don't let things outside your control dictate your thoughts, think before you speak, disregard the current trends.

Small steps, senpai.

A family member died a few months ago. During the funeral I kept reminding myself of Seneca's letters about death and it was much easier to deal with it.

Now I like to think I am ready to go myself, but I suppose I am nowhere near ready yet.

Godspeed.

>some faggot with fucked ears and more makeup than a girl has anything to teach anyone
lolok

'Living according to (your) nature' means, as Seneca said multiple times, doing good deeds, studying, entertaining philosophy, working, and above all else valuing reason as the noblest aspect of our being...

It doesn't mean 'lol be as chaotic as the universe and indifferent man xD! *unsheathes katana* '

Good thing that Trancendentalism does :^)

>>tfw Stoicism doesn't work
Maybe you're just a bitch.

The Obstacle is The Way,, by Ryan Holiday

I find this interesting. I always saw similarity between Neitzche and Aurelius but this raises a good point in the difference between the two. Neitzche sees our natural reaction to pain and ugliness as part of our virtue. Since we are responsible for our virtue it is our responsibility to be honest and true to ourselves. Neitzche seems to be making a claim about nature being "incapable of being tyrannized" and this is curious to me because what I've read of him concerns the idea of "will to power." I have been curious if Neitzche thought there were limits to this idea and i guess so. It makes sense. A stoic may resist a sexual lust and act against it but it doesn't change what he really feels about it, the truth of his desire. To be true to yourself under Neitzches terms would mean realizing that there was nothing stopping you from going after that thing you wanted. The same applies to the Stoic idea of pain. I recall an Aurelius passage where he says he learned to accept the death of his sons with the same calm as physical pain (can't find the passage but its in book 1, call me on this if I'm incorrect). I think Neitzche would see this pain as a good thing and to deny its power over you would be to deny the truth, the truth of yourself. These things have power over you because you can't beat them.
What work is this from?

>it's a "neechee doesn't try to refute something, but just describes it in mocking terms" episode