Does studying advanced philosophy or advanced physics take more brain power...

Does studying advanced philosophy or advanced physics take more brain power? What about DOING advanced philosophy or advanced physics?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Physics and it's not even close

Philosophy and physics aren't your mom. You can't just do them.

heh

physics, its an actual science.

keep reading as a hobby boy, and get some learnin in ya

Once you know calculus of variations and tensor calculus, physics is trivial. Philosophy is much more difficult.

>every maths undergrad is a physics professor
top meme

>brain power
>which takes more
>doing

This is pathetic

kind of like your small curly shrimp dong

physics and it hurts to say. Although tell me what books were on Einstein's desk when he died

I don't know, you tell me

probably physics. i'm taking an upper level class on Frege and Wittgenstein this semester tho, ill let you know how it goes

>tfw too smart to have a large penis

You're comparing apples and oranges. Different kinds of intelligence are required. No need to make it into a dick measuring contest. That being said, physics is more "useful" in capitalist society. Therefore, as a major it is likely to me more competitive and require more studying (at the undergrad level, at least).

>physics, its an actual science.
So many assumptions and so much ideological bias embedded in this claim. I'll simply say this: physics has its roots in philosophy and would not exist without it (see: Aristotle's "Physics"). The distinction between "actual science" and "fake science" (or whatever someone like you would call it?) is culturally constructed and did not always exist. What is now called physics used to be referred to as "natural philosophy".

>Although tell me what books were on Einstein's desk when he died
Very true, although not relevant to which is "harder". Still worth mentioning, since we are comparing the two, apparently.

>So many assumptions and so much ideological bias embedded in this claim. I'll simply say this: physics has its roots in philosophy and would not exist without it (see: Aristotle's "Physics"). The distinction between "actual science" and "fake science" (or whatever someone like you would call it?) is culturally constructed and did not always exist. What is now called physics used to be referred to as "natural philosophy".

I appreciate your intention, and we agree, but please inform yourself as to why the ignorance of science-fags regarding "true science" is extremely unscientific, dogmatic and embarrassing. It's not just that "they are culturally constructed" or "did not always exist". Also pointing out that physics has it's roots in philosophy does not add anything to your cause. "So what? It originated in philosophy, and overcame it."

>ignorance of science-fags
>extremely unscientific, dogmatic and embarrassing
I never said any of these things. I especially wouldn't have said "unscientific". If you look at the post I was replying to (not sure if you are that poster), the argument was something like "Physics is harder because it is an actual science." I was attacking the usage of this term "actual science" as arbitrary and constructed (which it is) and I think I sufficiently supported this claim.

>Also pointing out that physics has it's roots in philosophy does not add anything to your cause.
Actually it does, because my "cause" was simply to undermine the supposed distinction between "real" sciences (e.g. physics) and presumably "fake" sciences (e.g. philosophy). Pointing out their shared origin directly supports my claim.

>So what? It originated in philosophy, and overcame it.
Are we supposed to agree with this? Were you planning on providing some sort of evidence for this? Is it simply a value judgement?

lol calm down bro, just b urself

Tbh. I actually think it takes more effort to comprehend certain philosophical works than it takes effort to get physical theories

>advanced philosophy
what's that? is that where you stare at someone else's navel as well as your own?

it means like philosophy, that's advanced

Dude how the fuck do you DO philosophy?
You gonna like, wonder into the metaphysical realm and hunt down ideas with a spear and shit.

>brain power
what is this?

Physics. Philosophy is a meme without a strong foundation in the hard sciences.

>Physics is harder because it is an actual science.
That makes it easier, because you are just turning over stones and writing whats underneath, In philosophy there are no stones, and nothing underneath them, and you have to write everything down you cant see.

It uses different kinds of... "brain power"

I respect people who "do advanced philosophy" more than people who "do advanced physics". However my opinion of physicists is very low, so I'm biased. I think mathematicians and philosophers stand on more equal footing.

whoa... deep

What about advanced mathematics?

>whoa... deep
whoa... not an argument

Physicists would benefit from a training in philosophy, psychology, and abstract math. It's hilarious to see them chase their tails because they start off with incoherent scientistic ideas. Einstein would have never gotten anywhere without his reading of philosophy. It's gotten to the point that philosophers think they're "uncovering truth" and not just creating theories to fit the world. We'd be a lot further if they knew that science is to an extent a creative discipline.

>today's physicists vs. field revolutionizing physicists

It is roughly the same either way - which one is more difficult will likely depend solely on your innate talents.

In either field the objective is to get to the frontier of man's knowledge and make the unknown known. You're going to have to think in similar ways, though your method of approach may differ. However, even those things overlap in may respects.

This is why philosophy and the sciences are completely symbiotic, and always have been.

Ultimately, the total domain of philosophy overlaps all sciences and humanities, and they all work together in an attempt to clarify the perplexities of nature, man, and man's place in nature.

I'm a phys/maths student btw, but don't listen to all the science fanboys who will tell you that philosophy is worthless or worth-less. The intellectual frontier is the intellectual frontier, and man must master all of it.

this

Sciences, it's not even a question lmao

I just tweeted this at Lawrence Krauss

best physicists of mankind on one side vs contemporsry popular science physicists on the other

i hope this was made as a joke as there's hundreds of better contemporary physicists to choose from if u don't have a major case of downs

i don't know how any of you can contend that philosophy is more difficult in any respect

literally just finger your asshole while you're down there jerking yourself off you might as well with that phd in theoretical philosophy

>Studying
Probably physics

>Doing
Roughly the same, but if the question is where you would get further with a given >brain power, probably Philosophy

ok

>that Heisenberg
Have physicists always been this stupid? Does he not realize that mathematics, logic, and science are just human constructions that are intended for a purpose? This is literally number mysticism.

Scientists should read Nietzsche.

>theoretical philosophy
as opposed to applied philosophy

It's supposed to be Nobel Laureates vs New Atheists/pop physicists.

Pretty much all contemporary scientists believe in the humanities vs science meme though, not just the popular ones.

>i know that because i saw big bang theory

That's the point you #triggered autist.

>4 of the greatest physicists of all time, Nobel prize winners
vs
>a meme "scientist"
>a literally who
>a children show host
>le meme black guy

Nah. I know people like to think that sometimes guys like him are being ironic, but often it's far more true that they're retarded

>"So what? It originated in philosophy, and overcame it."

IMPLYING! that physics of today is not deeply rooted in post modernist philosophy

Both are trash. Physics is a nonfield for the undeveloped and the philosophy you are probably speaking of is the exact same trash.

Will to truth nonsense.
Science is a nonfield, it's irrelevant.
>overcame it
No, it can't even overcome itself.
>foundatiosn r good becuz i sed so

ebin meme, "everyone around me is retarded", confederacy of dunces :-)

>being this much of a Nietzschefag

>my first epic trolle post

>recognizing a meme somehow makes one a nietzschefag
Half of what I complain about here is the way people phrase their posts.

What metric is there for 'difficulty'? Oh right, none. So what this whole thread reduces to is how 'truthy' they think the field is.
>anything i dont like is le trolle

>reads Beyond Good and Evil once

wow simply ebin

Don't you have some linear algebra homework to do?

>he thinks OP is a serious question and not just a silly pretense for humanities/STEM shitfest

>tfw one linear algebra homework has more utility than a phd in liberal arts

>utility
Not defined.

>liberal arts
People get math degrees at liberal arts universities.

The difference is, they have to take more courses outside of their field (meaning, not be lazy fuckwads taking 3 math courses a term and partying all day, and cheating off of one person's homework in the night, then cramming before an exam.)

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility

>economic definition
Garbage, still not defined.

>he thinks you can be lazy and get a math degree

It is defined and it is exactly what I meant when I used the term. Being retarded doesn't really help your point.

Yes you can, it's a field for idiots.
>it's defined
By a nonfield. Meaning, it is not defined.
>retard
lol simply ebin people that disagree with me must be stupid!

Nietzsche did not want disciples, you plebeian fucking cunt.

You sound like an edgy 17 year old.

I only made the third post, nigger

>trash nonfield undeveloped trash nonfield irrelevant ebin garbage idiots nonfield ebin
>le epic contrarian trolle ecks dee

Philosophy and Mathematics are the only two pure sciences
Philosophy to Physics is what Physics is to Numerology

Physics is just applied mathematics.

t. 18-year-old edgeman
I'm 29.
I just said I'm not one?
Back off?!?!?!
Sciences are trash.

>Empirical

>he thinks it's worse to be edgy at 18 than a retard at 29

Lol

>haha somebody is stupid for disagreeing with me

>hurr durr everything is stupid undefined trash and you're degenerate garbage
>disagreeing

can everyone shut the fuck up?

Try closing the tab, faggot.

>he still hasn't read Thomas Khun's The Structure of Scientific Revolutions

l m a o

jesus, you're really immature for 29. i bet you've never had a gf

I'm married.

Science truly has become the new religion.

Physics is just a branch of philosophy, in which you except certain premises and start from them.

Studying philosophy puts no strain on the brain. Its fairly easy to understand.

Physics requires pure hours of work. There's no shortcuts.

dude what philosophy have you been reading? I promise Hegel and Heidegger are not easy to understand

> implying philosophy lacks rigor
> holds up epistemologically vapid scientific method as alternative
> mfw