What kind of math does Veeky Forums do for fun?

What kind of math does Veeky Forums do for fun?

Personally I'll just make up higher order differential equations and solve them when I'm bored. If I run into a wall I search wikipedia or textbooks for anything that could help.

Other urls found in this thread:

cfar.umd.edu/~yiannis/geo_journal.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Geometry.
>tfw trying to construct a square with area [math]\pi[/math]

>make up higher order differential equations and solve them when I'm bored.
You can't say that and not at least post some of them

I usually just write them on printer paper, solve them or give up, then throw them away.

One thing I've been looking into is the mathematical foundation of music theory.
Music after all is just noise with a pattern and I have been trying to figure out what that pattern really is.

Read this.

I'm an art fag but I'm going to college for some STEM degree though. In school I was slightly above average when it came to math. Would you say doing math for fun would be a good way to improve? What is doing math for fun? I've been learning how to code by making games for fun but what can you make with math that is fun?

Also do you guys have any resources that you could give me for improving my math skills. I really want to hit the ground running when I go to college this fall.

I'm trying to find a way to get to the absolute root of it. For instance I suspect it has something to do with the Riemann zeta function.

One thing that I did years ago was to convert the gaussian function to polar coordinates so the graph of function would still be a bell curve in polar coordinates. Then I tried to integrate it to find the area. Still haven't been able to do that.

Well, one thing I did was to realize that a wave in position space is a particle in momentum space and vice versa, and you have a thing called a Gaussian function which is also a Gaussian under fourier transform, so it is kinda an in-between of both.

Then I wanted to see if I could get away with tricking people into thinking that momentum space is really position space and vice versa, because position space is very difficult to control but momentum space less so, so I tricked people into thinking particles are waves, by making the particle act like a Gaussian.

I did this because I don't really have a life and I have to play shitty games and pretend it's real.

>because position space is very difficult to control but momentum space less so
Woops got those two reversed, hehe! Looks like I'm falling for my own game!

lol

This might sound funny but really it's not! I want people to think I'm a god so I can eat them!

you might not be dosing your medicine properly. an inebriated physicist is not a good one.

>trying to solve DEs with arbitrary dimension
>trying to solve particular examples
this is how I can tell you're an undergrad. a better challenge is to come up with a convergent algorithm for find the solution to a particular initial value problem. Should be easy, I did this as an undergraduate. Bonus points: converge faster than 1st order algorithms.

>this is how I can tell you're an undergrad. a better challenge is to come up with a convergent algorithm for find the solution to a particular initial value problem. Should be easy, I did this as an undergraduate. Bonus points: converge faster than 1st order algorithms.

Sounds like fun, where would I look to learn about this?

Number theory because numbers are fun.

Today I was doing an olympiad problem in number theory that asked you to find all rational numbers with a certain property. I then got interested in finding rational numbers that had an incomplete version of that property. I found some cute formulas and then decided to graph them on desmos and the pattern looked really nice so I am now exploring what else I can find.

I'm not going to give it away now but if I find more cool stuff I will write something on vixra and then post it here.

> I suspect it has something to do with the Riemann zeta function
I very much doubt that.

Read Basic Mathematics by Lang.

A text on Numerical Analysis would be a good place to start. familiarity with Real Analysis and Complex Analysis would be helpful.

Programming such algorithms relies heavily on several operations from Linear Algebra as well.

>analysis of music
>riemann zeta
probably not, unless you are using prime representations of groups.

fractals

really postpones the negative thoughts

Let S be the square with sides of length [math] \sqrt{\pi} [/math]. Done.

Various prime number related stuff and cryptography
Functional equations, rediscovered Abel Equation when playing around with mandelbrot fractal
dabbling in graph theory

Infinite expressions, man. Just solved this one right here:

[eqn]x = \sin^{-1}(\cos(\sin^{-1}(\cos(\sin^{-1}(\cos(...[/eqn]

Combinatorial geometry.

>What kind of math does Veeky Forums do for fun?
project euler questions

Every question:
>write a program to add up blah blah blah blah

No thank you.

>I really like working through derivations of simple equations/formulas who derivations are surprisingly difficult.

>for example, derivative of sqrt(tan(x))

>derivative of sqrt(tan(x))

Are you shitting me?

>He only got past the first 2

I fuckin learn real mathematics instead of doing faggot problems to feel good all day.

>doing olympiad problems unironicallly

>I fuckin learn real mathematics
I'm working on it.

Good for you then, deeper math is enjoyable in a way that an exercise type problem can never be

I like to invent integrals, try then realise I can't do them and google them to find out how to do them

So much for being math experts, you guys can't even find the answer to my simple problem.

you didn't post a problem

Number theory and graph theory because I'm actually talented.

7/10, someone post the memephile pic

You never challenged anyone to solve it. You just flopped it in the thread like a toddler showing off a picture.

>Personally I'll just make up higher order differential equations and solve them when I'm bored.
that sounds like self-torture
fuck differential equations

you should study algebra then

Evaluate x.

Or all you all talk and no action?

I would'nt feel too good about myself about solving a meme infinite expression by simple function composition. If you can do that you can already appreciate the beauty of math. If you are posting it on the net to feel good you need to study more.

x=πn+(3π/4) for n=0,1,2,3...

arcsin(cos(x))=x
x=pi/4

now fuck off, toddler

>that sounds like self-torture
I usually just buy a shit ton of adderall once in a while and just rail lines of it and do a shit ton of math for 14 hours straight. I welcome the masochism.

Holy shit I am actually doing that right now. I almost never do it anymore because its degenerate, and my creative thinking actually takes a hit when I'm on amphetamines, but I love being able to spend a shitton of hours sinked in math, no hunger no sleepines no shit

> its degenerate
I disagree. It's practical and you get shit done.

>my creative thinking actually takes a hit when I'm on amphetamines
I've never had that problem, the only thing it does for me is that it slows down my thoughts so they're more concise and thoughtful.

I would describe what happens to me as being 'too' focused. I spend too much time thinking about the first approach that comes to mind, instead of discarding ideas quickly and considering a bigger picture like I do usually. So I can do more specific one-idea problems better
but anything that would require thinking for some time before I start systematically developing an approach I'm worse at.

About the degeneracy: it's practical, it gets shit done, and it's degenerate.

Infinites were a mistake.
>Cantor's diagonal argument
>Gödel's incompleteness theorem
>Zeno's paradox
>Galileo's paradox
>Ross–Littlewood problem

The list goes on and on. The so called "solutions" to these problems are hideous abortions tacked onto real math and logic. Most of modern math is only usable in a tiny subset of the problems it can be applied to. Finite length statements/equations that need to be decidable in a finite amount of time, e.g. all formal systems, cannot be expected to properly deal with infinites.

Thanks for reading, I know most of you are too indoctrinated to agree.

>judging mathematics by its applications

Cantor's diagonal argument is one of the first and most simple examples of creativity in mathematical arguments that can be understood by a beginner.

>using math that doesn't accurately reflect at least a part of reality
you might as well make up your own rules at that point

I play a game with numbers printed on vehicles. For instance, a trailer on a semi-truck will have a long ID number printed on the back. So here's what I do.

Let's say that the number is 432928
I know, just by looking at it, it's divisible by 8
8 * 54116
8 * (52000 + 2000 + 116)
8 * 4 * (13000 + 500 + 29)
2^5 * 13529

And then I start to run through prime numbers up to the square root of 13529, which should get me close to 120.

If I do my math right, I'll end up with

2^5 * 83 * 163

And then I just do this:

2 * 5 + 83 + 163 =>
10 + 246 =>

And then I repeat the process

256 =>
2^8 =>>
2 * 8 =>

16 =>
2^4 =>
2 * 4 =>

8 =>
2^3 =>
2 * 3 =>

6 =>
2 * 3 =>
2 + 3 =>

5 doesn't reduce anymore.

It's not useful in any way, other than it helps keep my brain sharpened, especially with doing long division in my brain. Usually, I just utilize some trick to see if a number is divisible by the prime. For instance, with 13529 and 83

83 * 3 = 249

13529 - 249 =>
13520 - 240 =>
1352 - 24 =>

83 * 4 = 332

1328 + 332 = 1660

1660 =>

166 = 83 * 2

So, with just a little bit of fuckery, I'd be able to work out whether or not a large number is divisible by a prime number without actually having to keep track of long strings of digits.

But that's what I do for fun. Truth be told, I should probably focus more on driving when I'm actually driving.

One thing you need to understand is that all of math is made up.

All of it. It's just rules we arbitrarily came up with. It's like chess, it's a creation of the human mind.

Not true. Mathematics is discovered.

i never saw it that way. I don't think it's all discovered. I always thought we create and use math to make sense of physical discoveries. There are some discoveries however, but most mathematical operators are created. For instance, multiplication among matrices. It does not follow intuitive multiplication. It's manipulated specifically for matrices. Hell, even regular multiplication is a tweak on addition.

Making infinite series "dance" to compute what I want them to has always been fun. Using generating functions to solve infinite sums or get recurrence relations for the coefficients is pretty cool too.

just apply sin to both sides, invert cos on both sides, get what u started with, then trig identities
pi/4

>paper
invest in a small dry erase board and bulk package of dry erase markers. You save in the long run on paper.

I do digital art, i try to make up functions that take an rgb image (a 3 * width * height matrix, or tensor?) And work them to a desired output, this took the 3 separate channels and displaced the height of a polar sine wave according to the brightness at each point, then another function took care of the spacing of each sine wave, it fucked up (the big black space shouldn't be there nor the smaller black space in the middle) but i liked it more that way,

That or approximating any signal i find interesting with Fourier series

Btw i need some help with some digital art stuff, you guys think you could help me?

I have a pretty interesting link for you pertaining to the math behind optical illusions.

cfar.umd.edu/~yiannis/geo_journal.pdf

>dry erase board and bulk package of dry erase markers

Invest in a small chalkboard and get a bulk package of chalk. Save the chalk dust and re-compact it into chalk sticks. You'll save in the long run on dry erase markers.

I prefer the feel of a pencil and paper, besides I just steal the paper from the printers at my uni so it's more cost effective the way I do it.

I feel ya. I remember the frugal school days. My uni would charge $20.00 per semester for printer fees. (No refund if if it wasn't used)
$0.10 per page printed felt like robbery.

I switched to pen because I didn't like the feel of pencil the same way I didn't like chalk. Bad vibrations or something. (Pen makes me think more before I write too)

Sometimes I feel like Lenny from "Of Mice and Men" lol.

I've thought about getting a tray of sand to draw in for scratch work.

I've also thought about modifying an etch-a-sketch.

Paper&pen for the win

P.S. Pencil smears when pages are stacked and shuffled around.