What is the best book you never finished?

What is the best book you never finished?

V.

W+P
best one I did finish was Proust

Blood Meridian, too much of a slog and a lot of the descriptions just seemed like he was trying too hard to be edgy

Women and Men

Hopscotch by Julio Cortazar

I'm a tourist to this board but If on a winter's night a traveler... by Italo Calvino

this. just couldn't do it. where'd you stop?

also I just noticed the irony of this post

I rarely don't finish a book once I've started but there was one case and it was Chernyshevsky's "What is to be Done?"

Love in the Time of Cholera. I was in middle school and I found it incredibly boring, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it if I read it now.

A year ago I dropped Oliver Twist, but I don't really know why.

The Sound and the Fury

The Confidence Man
Same shit over and over.

Joseph and His Brothers. With its length it could literally be another Testament

I've been halfway through 100 years of solitude for a year
I think I got meme'd

I've never finished a book

I bought this at a bookstore, reading the back it seemed so cool, and by one of my favorite authors! got home, did some research, gave the book away to a friend. Sounds like a failed experiment or something. I didn't even want to soil my memory of Moby-Dick. I do want to try Bartleby though, but can't talk myself into buying books with less than a hundred pages.

One Hundred Years of Solitude. I just lost track of the characters so I had no idea what was happening (I was on trial at the time and couldn't focus).

ulyssess. I got to page 400ish and it was honestly so boring from page 100 and on. I got the point.

were you on trial for gnostical turpitude?

Yeah this is my half-finished book too. I enjoyed it, I just didn't feel like finishing it

Same, it started well, I just can't imagine any satisfaction at the end

The Magic Mountain

2666. I accidentally left my copy in Cambodia and never found another in Tokyo.

...Finnegans Wake. Currently on my fourth iteration and I don't think I can ever escape this loop. He wasn't joking when he said this would keep critics busy for centuries--except he actually meant forever. I've heard Bloom is on his 96th iteration and there are others who have gone even further. It's impossible to ever finish...

Seven pillars of wisdom, t.e. Lawrence.

First chapter was phenomenal but I'm reading other books

Some former Rouge Khmer insurgent now has a copy of 2666 and must be pretty puzzled about it.

same user, just can't finish it

According to Zizek: the Phenomenology of Spirit

The Bible

How could I possibly know if I didn't finish it?

The Castle by Kafka.

I keep on putting it down for some reason.

Ulysses

Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. Such a fun book but for some explainable reason I put it down and never came back.

GR

*unexplainable

*inexplicable

Labyrinths
For some reason I only read some of the essays and parables at the end

>>Insert Ayn Rand novel here

The Magic Mountain

about half of them. I hardly ever make the conscious decision to stop reading a book, but then I get new ones and I... just... never finish them. Even books I really like aren't entirely exempt from this. It's probably my ADHD, but I still want to jab a pen into my eye.

2666, Master and Margarita, Blindsight, the 3rd policeman, The Heyerdahl Expedition, The Once and Future King and about 20 non-fiction history books are some that I have my eye on to get back to, but that's only a small portion of all the books I just stopped reading.

Journey to the End of the Night

I was 17/18 and it was too good. Got more than half of it iirc. Been thinking about grabbing it again

I did the exact same thing with Catch 22 1/2 yrs before that

My diary

I stopped reading it at the start of 2015 and came back to it during mid-2016. Completely worth it, try to get your hands on it, user. It wasn't hard to catch up.

100 Years of Solitude. I loved it but stopped around the point it really gets going.