Should I even get a STEM degree?

Should I even get a STEM degree?

I'm an Art fag and I really just want to be able to draw, make music, and make games for the rest of my life but my family wants me to get a STEM degree (If you are saying making games entails STEM I would agree but I just use GameMaker's language I don't know anything else). I don't think I'm intelligent enough to really pursue a career in STEM though.

Here are some things about myself I guess:
I got a 25 on the ACT
My cumulative GPA was a 3.0 (Started at a 3.5 as a freshman then went to a 2.9 as a senior, my mother was in a coma for a while and passed away which contributed somewhat to my grades going to shit).
When I study I get A's but when I don't I get like C's
I was never in the higher math but I was never in the lower math classes, just slightly above average.

Sorry if these posts aren't allowed on Veeky Forums I'm just getting really anxious about college.

Other urls found in this thread:

leaksource.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/hacking-the-art-of-exploitation.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You are a manchild faggot who obviously has no motivation or sense of reality. You will not make it in stem, and will likely die a poor loser at this rate.

Join the marines.

>needing to study to get an A

I wouldn't say I'm a manchild faggot who obviously has no motivation or sense of reality. I have been working on setting up passive income for the future and I make around 3k - 4k a month selling music, drumkits, and my art. I know it isn't a lot but I think I'm doing better than most people my age in terms of financial security. I would say I'm more frugal than most and I generally spend money on assets.

I feel as if I have motivation when it is something I enjoy, that is why I'm thinking about something like computer programming.
Well sorry I'm not as gifted as some of you, but I knew that if I wanted good grades I would have to put like 3 hours into studying.

STEM degrees are hard. If you don't like it on some level, it's basically not going to be possible to do.
This said, you honestly just sound like you're being lazy (at least with respect to your classes, you might work hard at other things for all I know). Don't get fooled into thinking you need some special math gene to do well in STEM. It's entirely whether you're willing to put in the necessary work to succeed.
If possible, see if you can take a calculus class in high school. This is when things actually get interesting, all the other math you've seen so far is preliminary. Whether or not you like that is going to be a good measure of whether it's worth thinking about going into STEM or not.

I graduated already, but I am going to study up on some calculus for the rest of the summer. Also you are right, I was very lazy during high school.

Thanks for the tip.

>I knew that if I wanted good grades I would have to put like 3 hours into studying.
Needing more than 30 seconds of studying right before the exam is the first sign of brainletism.

True...

>25 on ACT
No, STEM isn't for you. Especially if you don't even care about it. If you're already making money as an artist, then live that life.

What if I just get a degree in STEM so I can have a nice little cushion if my art stuff goes left?

I feel as if I could see myself at least as a computer programmer or software engineer

Getting a computer science degree isn't as free as you think. Google the degree requirements at a school you're interested in. It's very math heavy and if you're not motivated you won't succeed.

Going for a STEM degree because your parents want you to is a terrible idea. You'll spend tens of thousands of dollars on something you don't like, and will likely drop the program when the going gets tough.

STEM is hard, and even valedictorians doing it with an autistic mathematical passion get overwhelmed.

You seem to be doing fantastic as it is, don't make yourself miserable for four years if you don't have to.

STEM isn't for everyone, and the myth that it should be has saturated the field, lowered the quality of degree programs, and wasted a lot of people's time and money.

Be aware that studies in engineering will consume your life.

One doesn't "just get a degree in stem"; it's years of hard work and stress that you should undertake iff you have legitimate motivation.

Thank you guys for the advice, I really appreciate all of you taking the time to respond. I'm going to dabble in a few online resources and see if there is any STEM fields I would enjoy doing. If not then- uh, I don't know. But I will figure something out.

Studying is the only way to get an A faggot. Don't know what meme-tier education you have, but studying weeds out the lazys from real human beans

>Studying is the only way to get an A faggot.
Sub-190 IQ retard.

post some art please!

But really the only thing you need for science, math and the like is passion. Maybe you could make an indie game, and that's a big goal for you; so to meet your goal, you study programming.

Stuff like that.
You could even get a decent STEM education without even being in college.

Start of with something like CS50, or my personal favorite
leaksource.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/hacking-the-art-of-exploitation.pdf

Try some of this before committing to anything

Good luck. The trick is to find a field you're genuinely interested in and would dedicate hours a day to. If something soothes your autism, go ahead and major in it.

I would post some but I don't want to dox myself (I use my full name on my blogs and shit).
I'm in the process of making a game as well.
I will definitely check out this link now, thank you user.

>caring about as
AHAAHAHAHAHAAHA
I spent my entire college career working as a full time code monkey for 40/k a year. I went to a state school and got straight cs. I got an offer for a six figure job offer a month before graduation because of my experience, while the tryhard autists couldn't even get hired.

If you have no passion at all for any STEM subjects then no, you shouldn't do them. You really should have a relatively deep interest in your field of study and a large amount of motivation. I won't say you can't earn a degree without it, you can probably get through most STEM BSc degrees with brute force alone if you have the discipline but if you don't like the field then you won't feel any fulfillment and may not excel at whatever job you land if you get it at all.

I'm not gonna tell you not to do art or music or whatever, I personally have a lot of friends who went for music and theater but it's an unstable career path with no guarantee of success. I have two pieces of advice, don't spend a shit ton of money and go to a fancy pantsy art school, really shop around and get the best bang for your buck, and have a fall back plan in case art doesn't pan out. Trades are a fairly cheap low investment option and you may be able to take trade skills to a theater or something to do technical work on set design or lighting.