How do I learn Dante's Italian?

How do I learn Dante's Italian?

Start with the Greeks.

It's latin, dumbass.

Most idiotic comment on Veeky Forums I've ever seen

And that's saying something

heard this one already

Not from me, I'm sure. If there was a comment as idiotic as that one, I would remember it.

bump

Currently playing metro 2033 with italian on the dubs. Just consume all media on italian and you'll learn something. Still haven't found a divine comedy on italian, tho

There was no one "Italian" in the times of Dante. He and other poets basically created the concept of Italian by drawing from the vulgar languages spoken by the people and taking hints from one another to finally converge into a standard (where the Tuscany languages had the lion share).

If you learn modern Italian well, though, you should be able to understand medieval writers. Especially because there are a lot of commented/paraphrased editions of all the important works, and you could use them to clear your doubts until the style of Dante (or some other particular medieval author) becomes second nature to you.

To me, it's similar to reading middle English when I only studied modern English.

Learn modern Italian first. If you know it understanding Dante will be infinitely easier. It's like reading Shakespear while knowing only modern English. It will sound archaic, but with a dictionary and reading guides it will become easy enough.

That said, Italian is hard as fuck for English speakers, you guys have no idea how many conjugations there are for each verb. Still, if you manage to learn it, learning Latin will be almost trivial.

t. am Italian and I have read and studied everything written by Dante, Petrarca and Boccaccio

Sono un Americano e ho abito qua in Italia per 6 anni. La mia grammatica italiana e fa schifo ancora...ma voglio continuare di imparare lo stesso.

anche ... ho dimenticato -- cosa ne pensi di orlando furioso?

Sì, noto che non hai ancora imparato i tempi verbali (ma è normale, sono infinitamente più difficili da coniugare quando comparati a quelli della lingua inglese). Per quanto possa essere noioso, devi assolutamente memorizzare la grammatica per incominciare a parlare veramente in italiano. Ci sono tantissime radici, desinenze e coniugazioni per verbi, aggettivi e nomi, ma seguono tutte regole comuni (ci sono molte poche eccezioni nell'Italiano moderno). Con studio e memorizzazione ce la puoi fare, non hai bisogno di essere un genio.

è uno dei più grandi capolavori della tradizione italiana, tanto da giustificare l'apprendimento delle regole tecniche della poesia (ti torneranno utili anche per Dante, Petrarca, Boccaccio, e tutti gli altri poeti della lingua italiana).
Questi artisti non erano solo grandi comunicatori, ma anche artigiani. Non c'è un verso dell'Orlando Furioso che non sia carico di ingegni retorici, metrici e poetici. Sono fra i lavori più densi della storia della letteratura italiana.

...si lo so. sono arrivato al quello punto dove io devo studiare x crescere. ho imparato come adesso dalla mia ragazza italiana.

la settimana scorsa sono andato alla villa valmarana dove ho guardato una camera con tanti freschi di tiepolo. il subjettivo era furiorso e non mia sentito quello storia prima.

il meteo e bruttisimo oggi...ma ho pensato di andare al ravenna oggi per guardi le cose di dante. Sua tomba e li giusto? Spero domani sarebbe meglio.

Sì, la tomba di Dante è nel centro storico di Ravenna.

>...si lo so. sono arrivato al quello punto dove io devo studiare x crescere. ho imparato come adesso dalla mia ragazza italiana.

Stai tranquillo in questo caso, a forza di parlare con la tua ragazza eventualmente la lingua ti entrerà in testa.
In questo caso studiare grammatica non ti serve tanto per imparare a parlare con altre persone, quanto ad invece essere in grado di tradurre facilmente poesia e letteratura, dove le strutture sintattiche diventano sempre più complesse (è una cosa che ci portiamo dietro dagli antichi Romani, il latino è disseminato di strutture grammaticali e sintattiche difficilissime, frattali).

How many computations?

I learned Russian and verb conjugations are not a hard hurdle to get over.

Do you mean conjugations?

There are 21 modes (divided in 7 categories), when you count all the modes every verb has (usually, there are a few exceptions) 91 different conjugations.

Also adjectives and nouns have different conjugations based on gender (binary, although there are neutral conjugations) and number.

You can read Dante, yet you cannot speak his language.

Aside from the fact that Dante's language isn't "Italian", it's a scholarly blend of Tuscanian with Latin influences as well as some other regional languages from his fellow writers of the time, the introduction to the UTET edition of the Divina Commedia says that we do not know how Dante would pronounce what we wrote, and the textual criticism of his magnum opus couldn't produce a single, clear trasmission family tree, so we do not even know what might be the original, correct spelling either. We do not have a single autograph manuscript written by Dante, not even a signature.

A scholarly critical edition of the Divina Commedia either goes with the "antica vulgata" which has the traditional spellings, or edit them based on the scholar's own intuitions and/or the oldest manuscripts.

Play Dante's Inferno in Italian.

Ah fair, that is quite a few.
I don't think it's quite as difficult as you think however, gender isn't that hard to learn, and for the most part verb conjugations tend to e reasonably easy to parse. At least that's how I found it in Russian.