Researchers Discover "Angel Particle" Which Is Both Matter And Antimatter At The Same Time

>Researchers Discover "Angel Particle" Which Is Both Matter And Antimatter At The Same Time

>Evidence for the Majorana fermion, a particle that's its own antiparticle

Should we even bother to keep up with this bullshit?

sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170720142321.htm

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positronium
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How many [math]sigma[/math] is the proof

Ignore the shitty headline, and the article is otherwise fine.

>"both matter and antimatter"
>its own antiparticle
>this is new
phucking photons, how do they work?
>Ignore the shitty headline, and the article is otherwise fine.
I sure hope so.

>god particle
>angel particle
who comes up with these? what's next, satan particle?

>satan particle?
Thats called "Dark Matter"

It is a composite "particle". Nothing to see here, move along..

Virtual particles each having quantum energy states exactly half of those of the corresponding electrons. Based on the environment, they could be part of the force-carrying phenomenon of magnets tuned way up into detectable levels.

But I'm no physicist, so what do I know.

When will physicists update the universe with a sephiroth particle? This universe is boring and gay, but if it had sephiroth particles it'd be more interesting, and less gay.

Kek'd

Doesn't Positronium also meet the criterion of being it's own antiparticle?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positronium

Is this accualy real 1310261-1011

It was originally "goddamn particle". It solved the question of leptonic mass. It was the last unconfirmed particle in the standard model. It was predicted, and the prediction was sound and old. It was THAT hard to find, you see...

Hey guys. Photons are their own antiparticles

Where's my big N?

Time to learn Enochian.

A couple of things, for the people in this thread:

1. The name "angel particle" was suggested by the researcher who was involved in the discovery, because he likened it to the book "Angels and Demons"
>Yes I think that's a bad idea.

2. The Majorana fermion is the only elementary (non-composite), fermionic field which is it's own anti-particle. It is like the Dirac fermion (in that it is massive) but 2 of the four degrees of freedom are gone. The Majorana field equation is

[math]i\partial_0 \chi -i\sigma \cdot \nabla \chi- im\sigma_2\chi^*=0[/math]

3. This particular discovery is of a Majorana quasi-particle that exists on the interface between (to the best of my knowledge) a superconductor and a topological insulator. It is significant because it is the first Majorana mode found that can propagate. Previous discoveries were in 1D, and the Majorana modes would "sit" on the end of a chain of atoms. These can supposedly be used to transport charge or spin or whatever. Hence the interest to computing research.

Pretty sure Majorana fermions are already observed as surface modes in topological superconductors/insulators. Or are these "free" Majoranas?

>"Angel Particle"
I have absolutely no sympathy for scientists having their work co-opted by paranormal lunatics when they go around naming things like this

so are new predictions for exotic particles based on string theory? Like one type of amplitude/frequency corresponds to one particle?

jews come up with it.

At some physicists will take a step back and realize that they went WAY off track back when the reified ignorance, and converted "position and velocity of a particle cannot both be measured" to "particles do not posses these qualities until they are measured." Particle physics will need to be rebuilt just about from the ground up.

>At some point

My damn computer is dropping words now if I type while the captcha is loading.

>physicists converted uncertainty principle to wave particle duality
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Sounds like you got your physics from conservapedia.

So, yeah, we have not yet reached the point where physicists (or at least their 4cahn equivalent) are ready to step back and recognize their error.

>modern physics is counter-intuitive to me so I think its wrong.

any no one cares about your opinion brainlet.

>quasi-particle
dropped.