What book really made you laugh (out loud)?

what book really made you laugh (out loud)?

KABOOM mama made cinimin buns WEEEWOOOWEEEWOOOWEEEWOOO

FRICK its the five 0 *grabs a copy of Gravitys Rainbow and busts out the upper bedroom window*

Yeah

Three men in a boat. It was written as a travel journal so it gets pretty dull at times.

Catch -22. Gets pretty sad desu. Not something you read just for luls.

Bartimaeus series. It's one of the better YA novels and has a hilarious character.

Hitchikers series. Lit hates it just because reddit likes it. It's a decently funny novel if you don't mind lol so random humor.

Just william books. Funny antics of a mischievous kid.

The Meaning of Liff.

A lot of books. I remember reading 2666, having just made my way through The Part About the Crimes, and losing it at Reiter's father's swine rant.

Christopher Moore. Especially Fool.

The bible

Kangaroo Notebook and Moby-Dick are probably the two books I laughed the most with. Absolutely hilarious, the both of them.

I guffawed a lot when I read the first part of Notes from the Underground. The part about toothache still cracks me up.

candide
catch22
american psycho

naked lunch

Les Caves du Vatican

Fleurissoire's part is fucking masterpiece

several times. 50pgs in Ithaca, gonna read the last 50pgs of this chapter today and tomorrow I'm done with it. fantastic book, unique experience. didn't even felt like reading a book desu

Rontel.

It was once pretty popular around here

Ratner's Star

Anything by Kafka, what a wicked sense of humour.

have you read Amerika? is it good? All i know is that it was never finished. went to trade some books in a second-hand bookstore and there was some credit left over, didn't know what to get, went for Amerika.

No, but the majority of Kafka is good. I've read through his complete short stories and even the lackluster ones are better than most of today's Veeky Forums.

your diary tbqh

This and Tristram Shandy.

It was really good. Like Dickens but not dry.

White Noise, often.

Lolita, occasionally.

It's weird being caught chuckling at Lolita. I was at the beach with my family and did this because of his prose. They all think I'm a pervert now.

I agree about catch 22, it's laugh out loud funny at points but if you read it just because of the comedy then you will really be put off when it twists the knife from the middle to the end

The time machine did it - John swartzwelder

Inherent vice

Reading Catch-22 as a 19-year-old Private made me laugh several times. Military life never changes, and most of the characters are caricatures of the higher-ranking douchebags every unit has.

notes from the underground. The mindless obsession with the unacknowledgement of the narrator's existence by the police officer and the plans he made to change this fact was just too damn funny

When I was a teenager Dostoevsky frequently made me lol but now that I've attained to patrician status I can't recall the last time I actually laughed from anything other than my own maniacal musings.

How do I tell friends (and my parents) that Lolita is my favourite book, should they ask? Obviously they should realise that it has some value considering it's so famous but it still has those connotations that won't be helpful considering I'm a weird 23 year old male.

Money by Martin Amis, particularly when the aging actor is trying to stage his nude fight scene. Confederacy of Dunces, when IJR goes to a gay party believing it was a political rally.

Tell me more about the nude fight scenes.

The whole of confederacy is pretty funny, i particularly enjoyed when he tried to stage a strike and rally to protest the treatment of the black workers (which wasn't even that bad") and they all thought he was insane

i remember laughing out loud multiple times during As I Lay Dying, but it's been a while so i dont remember which parts

should probably read it again

If it's your favorite book then you're pretty much fucked. A lot of my family are teachers so they understood that Nabokov is Nabokov, but explain that to a normie.

actually The Crying of Lot 49 and Bleeding Edge

Anyone else hate "humorous novels"? Why would anyone read a book for humor? wanna have a laugh head to the local fahkin bar my guy ring up a pal my guy

Fiction: Oblomov, Lucky Jim, Journey to the End of the Night and anything Welsh, Bukowski or Houellebecq.

Non-fiction: Schopenhauer, Nietzsche, Cioran and anything that talks about the ancient Cynics.

I found it bat shit hilarious when the plane literally ripped the kid into minced meat all over the beach,

Scene with yossarian walking through rome and the dead maid had me knelling over as well.

>get a fucking sense of comedy shit lords

This is what I imagine Slothrop looks like.

kek actually

>shit lords
>doesn't know how to greenpost

back to where you came from, young one

>Catch-22
>That charge parade where he overuses pronouns and I had no idea what the fuck was going on but it was hilarious anyways

I only got halfway through that book because it seemed really to be written by a man who hates his readers.

>Moby-Dick
yes

Catch 22

gargantua & pantagruel

wiping ass with a goose
10/10

Bridge of Birds, often

Flann O'Brien

The sequence with him withholding his servant's wage to assert power and the servant just torturing him with defiant stares is a riot.

Tristram Shandy

All the gimmicks like taking a whole page too define a nose, or The King and his Seven Castles, or Toby and Trim in general.

from memory:
The Corrections
Pynchon
Gaddis
DFW

I recently read a part pretty early into Gravity's Rainbow where Slothrop is forced to eat all different sorts of gross candies. Pynchon is always funny, but here I laughed probably the hardest I've ever laughed at a book.
>Poisoned!

don't forget the fortified cunt wall, and the guy tasked with a brush to keep the flies away.

Confederacy of Dunces desu

+1

A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I usually read on the train, but it's one of those I had to finish at home because it was way too much for my sides (also, it was so good I made facial expressions of all feelings going through, so there was that to avoid too).

The importance of being earnest. Read it on a trip, everyone was looking at me like "but what's so funny?" ended up sharing the book.

The savage detectives, made me look like a dork on the train trying not to laugh at some points.

good soldier svejk

shut up

The only reason I put off reading this book was because of the awful cover; however, it is in fact the funniest book I have ever read.

I genuinely believe Infinite Jest is very funny.

I also like many of the cynical quips in Lolita.

Moby Dick, Confederacy of Dunces, American Psycho, and anything by Nabokov.

Love in the time of cholera. I found most of the characters cringeworthy.

Terry Fallis' The Best Laid Plans

Miles Davis's auto bio with Quincy Troupe is funny as hell