A Farewell To Arms

Can we talk about this book? I just finished it early Friday morning. The language is beautiful and the story of Henry and Catherine's love for each other is one of the most touching and heartbreaking things I've read in ages. The ending made me tear up. I loved how the writing was simple and concise while at the same time conveying subtle and aching colour and beauty. The characterization and descriptions of what's going on is just so vivid despite Hemingway using short and clipped wording. I read The Old Man and the Sea last Fall and this was my second book by Hemingway and my first of this year. I really liked this book. Can we get some discussion about it?

Honestly I thought the dialogue between them was clunky. Really overblown romantic nonsense.

The Swiss part of the book is comfy as fuck though.

Not that good. I read the Sun Also Rises first and it was a lot better. I loved the passage about the army retreating but I didn't care about the love story. Catherine just didn't feel like a person to me.

Agreed. She's just a bunch of weak tropes tied together. Crazy woman, maternal figure, doting lover with absolutely nothing else going on for her.

Brett on the other hand. Oh boy I fucking hated her. Hemingway did well when he wrote her.

One of the worst books I've ever finished, Hemingway is a joke.
The prose is absolute trash, the characters are cardboard cutouts, the dialogues are bland as fuck. There is nothing redeeming about this book.

I don't know if you know but is For Whom The Bells toll good? The spanish civil war is a great subject but if it isn't at least on par with tSAR then I dont know if I want it.

It's been years since I last read it but I enjoyed it. The love interest seemed a little bit forced but the war aspect was great. The camaraderie between the guerrillas was top notch as well.

I've read The Sun Also Rises and For Whom The Bell Tolls and I like the latter much more.

Thx I'll put it on my list

My ex knows I always loved Hemingway. I always told her to read the Sun Also Rises and years later she reads Farewell and tells me how patronising it is to women, fucking dumb cunt i didn't say to read that did I? i'd name you but you the only person with your name you fucking special cunt

>The language is beautiful and the story of Henry and Catherine's love for each other is one of the most touching and heartbreaking things I've read in ages

Sorry to hear about your shit taste user

Yeah, just skip the first 400 pages and you'll enjoy it

Not even kidding though, you'll be fucking astounded at how little happens in 400 pages

El Sordo's last stand is one of the highlights of the book though

So 300 pages then

I just want friends like Rinaldi to call me babe.... no homo.
Also Catherine was a bit bland,I was more intrigued by the different nurses Henry met, they seemed more believable.

Hey,
Lend me 100 lira.

i kind of feel like romance in general was very different at that time, very sappy

Hemingway isn't the only author of his era to have "overblown" romantic flings in his works, which leads me to believe that thats just how it was

Romance with his contemporaries was done so much better, his view was just so romanticised as fuck that it almost became satirical

For a board that prides itself on being "too good for Hemingway" not a single poster in this thread has recognized that he purposely heightens the melodrama and romance in service of the subversion at the end of the novel

>tfw i've started to call my mates baby and babe and they just think i'm weird and gay

>She's just a bunch of weak tropes tied together

When this was written those tropes hadn't become saturated.