Be honest, Veeky Forums

Be honest, Veeky Forums.

Why are you studying pure mathematics on the side?

I'm not talking to mathematics majors. I'm talking to everyone else. Those people who aren't going to have careers in academic mathematics.

If you aren't studying pure mathematics solely for your own enjoyment or enrichment, then you are wasting your time. Here's the reality: you are never going to contribute to pure mathematics as an amateur. You are never going to solve a significant problem. You are never going to contribute to a new theory. Moreover, if you are studying pure mathematics because you think that's what smart people do, then stop. That pursuit is utterly pointless. You won't be able to show off your "impressive" knowledge (keep in mind that you probably will only ever be able to learn the undergraduate curriculum AT MOST as an amateur) because anything you say will just be Greek to the layman. The layman's eyes will glaze over; they won't be impressed.

If you are attempting to learn pure mathematics, and you find that your eyes are glazing over like the layman, then put that damn textbook down and do something you actually like. You're not impressing anyone. You're not going to unlock any great secrets about the universe. Life is too short for bullshit that you don't like and won't help you. On the other hand, if you do like pure mathematics, or you are studying it full time and will therefore be able to contribute to it, then you are spending your time well.

Other urls found in this thread:

guide.berkeley.edu/courses/math/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Probably because I'm looking for a tool to apply to my non-pure mathematics problems?

You seem deeply, deeply frustrated about something. What is it? Did you reach a disappointment/realization in your study of Mathematics.

I'm not speaking to you, then. Your pursuit is purely pragmatic.

I'd say I am indeed, Mr. Freud. Really this is more of a note to self than anything. I keep trying to get into mathematics but I can never shake the feeling that it is fundamentally boring to me. I am coming to terms with the fact that I simply don't have an interest in studying abstract structures. My interests personally lie in more "tangible" things. I will let others study the abstract, and I will take whatever tools I need from their pursuits. Thanks for reading my blog.

I'm not, I'm a dumb engineer and I prefer music and drawing as hobbies.
I bet you are the guy always posting the memelist

Neither will you do great contributions to pure mathematics, OP.

Don't be an ass to everyone that isn't a pure math major, calm your brain OP.

I do it for her.

>Really this is more of a note to self than anything
So is everything you have ever said or posted anywhere, and the same applies to everyone.
Psychology is fun, maybe you should learn that instead.

Nope that guy's a fucking retard. Good on you for doing things you actually like.

I am simply suggesting that studying pure mathematics for anything other than enjoyment if you are not a pure math major is irrational.

I'm the 2nd user.
The way you wrote it felt like you were an asshole though.

Anybody can get into pure math at least in some layers of it IF one is smart enough.
Just let people waste their own time m8, you also have time so you should be able to use it well.

Serious amateurs don't study math if they don't have a viable idea of how to use what they learn, or they aren't actually good.

If you can't impress people with your mathematics skills you don't have them. There are ways, believe me.

Infinites were a mistake.
>Cantor's diagonal argument
>Gödel's incompleteness theorem
>Zeno's paradox
>Galileo's paradox
>Ross–Littlewood problem

The list goes on and on. The so called "solutions" to these problems are hideous abortions tacked onto real math and logic. Most of modern math is only usable in a tiny subset of the problems it can be applied to. Finite length statements/equations that need to be decidable in a finite amount of time, e.g. all formal systems, cannot be expected to properly deal with infinites.

Thanks for reading, I know most of you are too indoctrinated to agree.

>anyone who doesn't agree with my statement is indoctrinated
lmao

I neither agree with you entirely nor do I disagree with you entirely. Infinite sets are useful, but the zfc understanding of cardinality is intuitively just wrong. Galileo's paradox can be resolved by getting rid of limit ordinals and saying that, for example, the even numbers ARE fewer than the positive integers.

I've never been able to follow Godel's proofs, so I can't comment on them.

It's mostly for my own amusement, but it'd be fun to contribute research someday, too. I just like learning about it and contributing to my understanding of Everything.

So doing something you like in your own time is wasting time? Then your shitpost is also wasting time lels

(OP):
>If you aren't studying pure mathematics solely for your own enjoyment or enrichment, then you are wasting your time.
(You):
>So doing something you like in your own time is wasting time?
How the fuck?..

>Here's the reality: you are never going to contribute to pure mathematics as an amateur. You are never going to solve a significant problem. You are never going to contribute to a new theory.
WRONG
it might take me about a decade though, possibly, but who cares - today's the second best day to plant the tree anyways

Also,
>if you are studying pure mathematics because you think that's what smart people do
>The layman's eyes will glaze over; they won't be impressed.
why are you conflating wanting to do what smart people do (which definitely includes math which may be so advanced and specialized even other professional mathematicians might glaze over your work without quite understanding what you do if the fields are distant enough, making the point about impressing laymen extra-moot) with wanting to make an impression on laymen. Since if the latter is a person's goal and they choose to study pure math instead of learning how to become a con-artist-y pop-sci icon or tech entrepreneur or w/e than that person is obviously braindead and beyond help, good advice notwithstanding

>If you are attempting to learn pure mathematics, and you find that your eyes are glazing over like the layman, then put that damn textbook down...
and find the one that better suits your skill level and intellect, then study with that one instead. Only if such a textbook doesn't exist should you consider dropping math as your hobby.

I agree of course that if the experience of doing something is more tortuous than pleasurable to a person then there is definitely no point in continuing since one will quit such a soul-draining activity sooner or later anyways and it's better sooner if that's not a job bringing money in exchange for 'torture'. But I also think it's important to not discourage people who may be going through a rougher patch in their studies and remind that perseverance thorugh some less fun times is needed as well and that it might be a roadblock and not a deadend.

Nothing wrong with that statement in and of itself.

No.

I want to become a polymath, let me be.

>If you aren't studying pure mathematics solely for your own enjoyment or enrichment
>implying there's any other reason to do anything

math is fun

>Why are you studying pure mathematics on the side?

Unironically

I'm majoring in math, but I'm not sure if I have what it takes/can deal with the stress of going higher.

Either way I'd still study pure math on the side even if I worked retail my whole life. Even if I contribute not even a minor significant thing I still find joy in just studying it for its own sake.

>Why are you studying pure mathematics on the side?
a) because it helps me with my work
b) because i think its interesting

because sometimes areas in my subject have important contributions by pure mathematicians and I need to be able to read what they are talking about

I, the memelist poster, approve of doing pure mathematics for personal enrichment and/or for application. I don't know where people got the idea that it was supposed to turn you into Hilbert or something. If you needed my list, then you were never going to be Hilbert.

Based memelist poster

>Don't do things because I said so. You aren't allowed to do stuff unless I approve and understand your motives.

>Only pro-mlg-serious-amateur-mathemeticians fit into this arbitrarily chosen box that I pulled out of my ass for absolutely no reason.

Basic arithmetic skills impresses most people, it's not like it's hard to impress most average folks..

Found the faggot

>Wah, I'm a failure so other people aren't allowed to do the things I suck at, wah!

Gosh golly, it's almost like the things people do for enjoyment don't have to be rational?

>meme-post

Kill yourself instead.

The correct answers.

Sometimes I really have nothing to do. CS(my major) is easy plain and boring. Don't like TV series, don't like watching films. Played Dota for like 7 years and got bored(haven't been playing for like 2 years). There aren't many anime that I liked(although, this was the best thing that helped me to kill my time after I abandoned Dota).
What the fuck should I do in summer(can study graduate pure meth textbooks for like 10h a day sometimes)?

i really enjoyed real analysis 1. i put so much time into it though. i took real analysis 2 the next semester and felt burnt out already/lacking the energy to put the same amount of time into it. thus i didnt grasp the concepts that well.

they require so much time unless your naturally gifted. thats the only problem to me. do i have time to devote 30 hours a week to graduate level math courses while having a job/maintaining enthusiasm? probably not

So what do you think about people who are trying to apply it to their field? I'm trying to revolutionize high-performance computing / compiler architectures and I feel like having a deep understanding of analysis, statistics, and algebra will give me the intuition I need. Should I not bother with it?

I study Pure Math alongside my major in Electronic & Computer Engineering because:

I want to apply this high level math in my future Research.

Advanced ECE uses heavily math & physics.

For Example Advanced control theory use heavily Dynamic Systems, Stochastic Probability, Differential Equations, Functional Analysis, Complex Analysis.

Advanced Computer Science uses Numerical Analysis, Discrete Math Combinatorics, Graphs, etc), Abstract Algebra.

Advanced Computer Graphics use Differential Geometry, Topology.

Cryptography use Number Theory.

For Nanotechnology, To build smaller electronic devices we need Solid State Physics / Physics of Condensated Matter which is based on Quantum Mechanics.

We need Optic Physics for Optic fibers, Photonics, Camera Lens, Lasers, etc.

Quantum Computing uses Quantum Mechanics too.

Quantum Mechanics, Electromagnetics & Optics are also math heavy physics fields that Electronic Engineering Researchers should know.

I think that a competent ECE researcher should know Math & Physics in more depth than usual.

It's why I'm studying. It's with a useful purpose. Not just as Hobby. But as part of my profession.

Fuck off and read the post next time retard.

I failed out of engineering so math is my backup plan

How long until you become a tripfag?

t. butthurt engineer

>haha look at how smug I am, do I fit in yet? XD

And before you ask: no, I don't have any arguments. You don't either, though, to be fair.

>failed engineering
>expects to be any better at math

Thinking of learning pure math just because I hope I'll be able to start seeing things differently, see some patterns where I currently see none. Getting a different perspective through abstraction.

Numbers always fascinated me.

>tfw you realize multivariable calculus is a weed out class for engineers

Never because I've finally distilled my list into something that makes sense after being brutalized by plenty of bitter yet altruistic mathfags. I've already started my math journey, and I won't be here for much longer, so why get a tripcode?

math comes easy to me for some reason.
i got Cs in all my engineering major courses and haven't gotten anything less than a A in Math, but i'm taking differential manifolds next semester and I'm scared

>why yes, I am an engineering drop out, for my mind was too weak for it. alas, I had to settle for mathematics, a subject much less glorious and challenging indeed
>my classes? umm, (shit). uh, let's see what comes out of my ass. zing! differential..manifolds!

you mean differential geometry, retard? they don't give classes in 2x2 matrix inversion either.

>learn undergrad material
>learn grad material after

WOW HOW DID HE DO IT??

op should neck himself

>comparing manifolds to 2x2 matrices

and this is how you tell OP just flunked his courses lmao

You'll be back. Trust me.

Kek. Good luck learning all that shit at 15 hours a week.

Only to share stories about my successes and failures or ask for a new direction. It's about time somebody put money where their mouth was. I wanted to figure out a good path for me while passing on some helpful tips along the way, but now I have no use for that anymore.

I can see her... nipples

You the dude from mlp that I made a comment about getting btfo?

because it's important to stay up to date with the latest developments in mathematics (my field is quantum optics) to get an advantage and increase my chances of making a significant development here.

guide.berkeley.edu/courses/math/
>MATH 214 Differentiable Manifolds

made a typo