French or German?

I get to choose between a course in German and a course in French. Which one would you think is more beneficial?

Picture unrelated

Uzbek is better than these two

French, of course.

German, no doubt.

>beneficial
What is up with these retarded questions lately?

>lately
What did he mean by this?

german

It's been like this for a long time, dude.

Germany totally outclasses France in terms of philosophy, France outclasses Germany in literature.

I'd personally go for French.

German desu

German if you like philosophy. French if you like literature.

French because literally all of Africa

They're both fine, literarily. Although if you're ever planning on reading Hegel I'd choose German.

German is super precise and logic.
French is verbose and flowery.

Each language's benefits is entirely subjective. Personally I would go with French because I find it to be a more difficult language to learn on your own compared to German. It's also a more prolific language in literature and film.

Deutsch is simple as fuck, French is nearly as simple and will also get you ladies. As for literature, you have some anal stuff in Goethe, Mann, Hesse, Kafka and philosophy fuckers. On other hand you have fun stuff in Flaubert, Dumas, Verne, Gautier, Huysmans. It's like comparing Italian and German opera. One is drawn out, trying to be serious, the other is fun, tragic and grounded.

French is a better language in every single way.

German is more useful simply because German writers were better.

Why not both?

Flip a coin, op.

>Deutsch is simple as fuck,
Spinnst du?

Heilige....Ich will mehr

KRACH! Mutti hat Pfannkuchen gemacht!

>Which one would you think is more beneficial?

Beneficial in what way? What are your plans for the future? Where do you want to live? etc. pp.

>germans thinking they have a hard language
Jup, deutschland uber alles wherever you go. I had it as second foreign language and it is by far the easiest of the ones I know, and I subsequently learned Italian and Latin. The thing that you think is difficult is just words thrown together without using spaces.

>an Anglo claims to know a foreign language

top kek

Your pronunciation is notoriously laughable.

>ursa major
>errsuh mayjerr

EVERY TIME

Outside of a course, how do you learn a new language?

Is Duolingo recommended?

This. German is even easier than Spanish.

grammar book
memrise/anki
talking to natives

Dictionary
Grammar book

Also, read books. For German, start with Nietzsche or Heine. Work through Jenseits von Gut und Böse until you can understand it all. German is really similar to English, so it shouldn't take more than a few months.

And, of course, talk to natives

German declension is such a bore, though

*tips ten days into duolingo*

learn Chinese, op!
and study the Dao De Jing!

If you had a little bit of intelligence in that dumb head of yours you'd notice English was my first foreign language. Ergo, I know the difference between the two first had. Even more, I learned a fair deal about English from television and films, where I got into German somewhat later, without that background. I'm slower reading German, but I understand nearly every single thing, while I'm often looking through dictionaries when reading English. Your nouns are simplicity in itself.

There was a study on languages that non-native people learn around the world - French arrived just second to English. Obviously Spanish will be in second position in less than ten years, but right now it's still French. It may also be a little easier than German.

Seriously, how long would it take to learn Chinese?

i'm just starting french, but only because i feel like movies will keep me interested and theres a ton of great french movies

i dont think there are any great german movies outside of M and Das Boot

>The thing that you think is difficult is just words thrown together without using spaces
This is not at all the hard part of learning German though

Do explain what it is then. Or rather explain what you've been tough to think it is. I'd really like to know with what the teachers are brainwashing you up there.

Because believe me, I know what it is. You've been living in linguistic isolation, everything is translated, so when you go school and you start learning basic english (you never ever get far from basic), and it's somehow similar to your own language, you are flabergasted by aber das ist ja einfach!, unsere grammatik ist wirklich so schwer im vergleich.

Each will change the ways in which you think so both

french is easier, so german.

Please do not sexualize the Rhea.

>what is fucking all of Werner Herzogs early work

Make two lists of all the stuff you may enjoy in French and in German. Poetry, literature, philosophy, research journals, magazines, movies, tv-shows. Once you have that the choice may become obvious.

I agree with previous posters that if you are interested in philosophy and mindbending ideas German is best, while French is best for novels (IMHO 1800's french authors have basically mastered the formula for perfect fiction). But both offer a pretty good selection the other way around, so it's really difficult to tell until you make a specific list of your interests.

Besides, there's nothing that stops you from learning the other one in the future. In fact, it will probably be very easy, since they are not so distant from English grammar and you will already a good experience in learning a foreign language.

And Fassbinder, man...

t. Pleb

German first, French second.

Deutches ist uber alles

>French or Turkish
ftfy

What are the best textbooks for learning French?

How about your retarded articles? A girl is neutral, a dog male and a traffic light is female.

der
des
dem
den

die
der
der
die

das
des
dem
das

I love your language but this is horrible.

>doesnt mention declinsions at all

Did Duolingo Level 1 did we?

>im basically fluent now