Siddhartha

I always see this held up as being really good but no one actually says why.

Is this just a meme book or is it actually good?

it was extremely gay. not memeing

It's pretty straight.

It's a bisexual meme.

It's about asexuality, mostly.

I hope you're all reborn as slugs

Dude religion lmao

Hesse isn't very good or profound in general. It's one of his better books though, mainly because of the source material, I'd say.

it sucks

it's alright

it's good

I can neither confirm nor deny it's quality or lack thereof.

I didn't enjoy it. It's extremely plain, I suppose Hesse was going for a sophistication in simplicity sort of thing, but the story bored me to tears and felt anything but profound. Hesse in general I dislike, his perverse mixing of east and west is all kinds of disagreeable to me.

That being said I haven't actually read it.

tldr: seek and ye shall find

You can finish it before lunch, just read it

I really enjoyed it.

It's funny how Veeky Forums loves Siddhartha but hates The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

They are the exact same book, both shit.

I also haven't enjoying anything by Hesse but struggle to articulate why, and I think that "mixing" you mention may be it

It's shit, bland boring writing and basic eastern religious themes. People who will claim it changed their life tend to be faggots.

I didn't find it that interesting and any impact the whole eastern philosophy "enlightenment" narrative had when it was published has been lessened by hundreds of works on the same themes since. It's Eat, Pray, Love for pseuds really

>it's

>but no one says why.

so then read the fucking book for yourself you mong

it's 152 pages long youre not losing anything by sitting down and finishing a book in 2-4 hours

It's really good. Perfect pacing, wonderful translated narration, cool characters and themes. Read it OP it's like a 2-day commitment

You didnt understand the river, right?

i loved it, and i feel it was a life changing book
but i dont know why

“I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.”

Not OP, but no I didn't. What was the point of it?

It's a book for twelve to fourteen year olds.

This. You are absolutely correct.

Don't be a materialistic / hedonistic cunt.

There, now you don't have to read it.

it's fiction so it can't be that great

I got the message, but it felt shallow. The main character seemed already sure of what to do to reach his enlightenment from the get-go. Born to a good family, everyone loves and adores him, everything he needs just seems to fall in his lap. He never really deals with anything that really tests him, nothing to make me think he knows what suffering is. The only hardships he ever really had were self-imposed and it just makes his enlightenment feel cheap.

Also doesn't help that there's a thirty year gap in his life.