Why are rich people so bored

why are rich people so bored

because its super chic

you wouldnt get it

do you mean:

why are rich people commonly described as bored in art/media?

Rich people aren't bored. They're all "happy", as they travel more, eat well, have many distractions, better formal education, and so on.
These are the pros of being rich. The cons being: You will likely never create any significant art, whether music, painting, literature, whatever. Hence the obsession with the buying and collecting of art. They can never truly possess or understand it as their own, so they instead buy it. Often times hiding it away from the world.

They suffer less, and so their lives are emptier in the end.

I'm poor and I'm bored all the time.

>i am poor

one of the best movies of all time.

>"Y-you're just bitter"
Enjoy emptiness and mediocrity

You must not have watched many movies

>everyone who's not poor is empty and mediocre
Could you be more of a cliche insecure poorfag?

Why are poor people so fucking stupid?

When did I say "everyone"? Please, if you could quote me.
You simply misunderstood my post, you dense fuck.
>Insecure
That's just projection isn't it?

I probably watched more than you, and Lost in translation is pretty much flawless.

>rich people buy art because of a pathological desire and not because the art trade is an international money laundering institution

Because their parents teach them that being a consumer is the most important aspect of life, instead of pursuit of knowledge. Rich people aren't any different... they just have the money to do it well, and do it so well that it becomes second nature, allowing them to focus some of their energy on other pursuits.
I mean, anecdotally, you can find rich people online via social media or whatever, and they're always doing the same shit. Trying to launch some "modelling" career, or showing off their new watches... it's all quite boring, really.

>He thinks the entire art industry is one big money laundering institution
Yeah, but it's not. Some of it probably is though, don't get me wrong.

Lost in Translation is a litmus test to separate people with actual taste in cinema from le epic 4chin kino patricians. You're the latter.

Money and freedom make the boring part of your life enjoyable, but it doesn't fix your existential dread.
Kierkegaard was right, either become religious or become a true artist (or both).

I>Flawless
Cheers for confirming that you are in fact, an actual retard.

I don't think that she was portrayed as particulary rich in that movie.
GOAT soundtrack btw

>rich people are trying to launch some "modelling" career, or showing off their new watches online via social media
>life through the eyes of mad poorfag
There's a big difference between old money social elites and your nouveau riche friends, champ.

this.

just watch pic related; it's actually good.

The average rich person doesn't have the self awareness to face "existential dread".

Again, point me in the direction where OP specified he was referring to "old money social elites"? And even then, your point is untrue.
An perfect example is the Royal Family... their cousins and relatives all do the same thing. All wannabe "models" and other such shit. All lacking self awareness. All boring. Sure, they travel a lot... but what else? Better luck next time, "champ"

>The average rich person doesn't have the self awareness to face "existential dread".

They do, they just don't show it in public because average joes will just go full ''DUDE YOU'RE RICH HOW CAN'T YOU BE HAPPY'' on their ass.

Do you really think that Trump is satisfied with his life? Do you really think that at night, when he's trying to get asleep, he just doesn't start remembering all the fucked up, highly unethical shit he has done in his life to get there? Do you think that he doesn't think not even for a second about the fact that he's sleeping in a golden tower while children in Africa are starving?

There's no way he's not deeply troubled by existential angst (unless he's an actual psycho, in that case he probably doesn't give a shit).

In the mood for love is good, but they are not even comparable, themes are completely different.

The only film that wants to acheive something similar to LIT that comes to my mind right now is The Red desert, and it's a matter of taste, but i still prefer lost in translation because is more aesthetically pleasing.

Name one flaw bro

Red Desert is a ripoff of through a glass darkly

>All lacking self awareness. All boring.
You need to stop drawing assumptions out of your insecurities. Shitpost less, work more and you will be able to become the incredibly self-aware creative genius that you are while not being an whiny poorfag.

>through a glass darkly
no, but that one is better i agree.

>"He just doesn't start remembering all the fucked up, highly unethical shit he has done in his life"
Such as? And anyway, what is unethical to you, may not be to him.

>Golden tower while children in Africa are starving?
And? Talk about low hanging fruit. I'm sick of seeing this used in debate. Who gives a fuck about starving Africans, other than Bono, maybe? At this point, it's like they're asking to die.

>There's no way he's not deeply troubled by existential angst
You have a mind-numbingly simplistic outlook of the world you live in.

You ran out of things to say because you're an idiot so you're just projecting now? You know fuck all about me, or my financial situation. Maybe I'm a self-hating rich man. Maybe I'm not.
Attack my points, not my personage, you fucking illiterate.
Point me to any "old money social elites" who have created a masterpiece within the past 50 years? 100? Good luck with that.

The entire film is a flaw. Terrible writing. Full of overdone cliches. Terrible acting by terrible actors. Stylistically worthless. It's a TV movie at best, both figuratively and literally.

>Such as? And anyway, what is unethical to you, may not be to him.
I'll just prey on the shit I know about him. What about Trump university? He scammed thousands of young people in a country in deep recession. That's pretty unethical, no matter how jaded you are.

>Who gives a fuck about starving Africans, other than Bono, maybe?
ethical people who value human lives.

>At this point, it's like they're asking to die.
ok, you're not in the group of ethical people who care about human beings.

>there are people starving even in your country
>you already know that the system is deeply biased and that unjustice is extremely normal, even encouraged
>he still thinks it's fine to sleep in a golden tower scamming people, instead of trying to help your community and humanity at large, even if you have the tools to do so

You're the one who is being simplistic here.

>You have a mind-numbingly simplistic outlook of the world you live in.

You're probably too stupid to realize how universal existential angst is. You clearly don't even have the emotional maturity to understand why someone would be troubled by rampant, unchecked poverty in a post-scarcity society , so you probably don't have the tools to understand why existence itself can be troubling even for rich people.

Hopefully you're just a teenager and you'll grow out of this mindset. Hopefully.

That's a totally retarded way of criticizing a film. How can you judge a movie like LIT because of the writing or the acting? (and the acting in this is one is not even bad, scarlett johannson does a pretty good job). You hate Bresson and Ozu just because the actors don't even pretend to act?
And what do you mean with Stylistically worthless? All of your points are vague and empty as fuck

Also

>Full of overdone cliches

Name 1

>scammed
Yes, according to CNN maybe.

>ethical people who value human lives.
What are YOU doing to help them then, big boy? Sell your laptop, sell your home... go on, get on with it! What are you waiting for ethical man!?!

>you're not in the group of ethical people
Implying I'm wrong. They choose to breed at the rate they do.

>you already know that the system is deeply biased
What does this even mean, you fucking idiot?

>why someone would be troubled by rampant, unchecked poverty in a post-scarcity society
Go on then, mate. Lead by example why don't you? Sell all of your personal possessions and give them to some sub 70 IQ starving African and see how quickly they waste it and end up back at square one.

The world is just black and white, right?! There are bad guys and good guys, just like in the movies! If you're rich, you're evil because, well duh... other people aren't!

What do you want, equality? Guess what? We are not equal. We never have been. Or do you disagree with evolution? Some people have to lose, and while you might say "appeal to nature", this is fucking nature and I'm done "arguing" with fucking morons, in all honesty. It's a waste of time.

>this is what /pol/hacks look like

I want you guys to leave this board, you fucking inhuman scum.

>"/tv/ told me it was good so it must be good"

>being such a bootlicker
You're the sucker here

They have no real struggle to pursue, so they can't get caught up into their struggles, leaving them bored. Trump is an example of a rich person who basically could've just kicked back and done nothing but obviously wanted to give his life meaning through struggle so he decided to run for president.
Essentially they have no struggle to define their life so they grow bored of everything, which is why they often do hedonistic things.

I've never browsed /pol/ in my life. I just don't care for sensitive butterflies who know nothing about anything. Let's be honest, if this wasn't anonymous, you'd be revealed for the worm that you are, and would likely keep hush hush.

>Bootlicker
How'd you get that from my post? Are you mentally handicapped?

Wow, you've actually written this? I may be fucked up, but at least I'm not as psycho as you. Phew.

>Psycho
Right... nice argument, friend! Really nailed me

>the world is not black and white
>drop the IQ bomb without mentioning that starvation and malnutrition in your childhood deeply affect your IQ, so does a complete lack of education

You're the one who is being too simplistic here. But muh private property, right?

jesus christ mate, you're definetely neutral evil

Actually /tv/s opinion is the same as yours. Lost in translation is totally hated there because is filled with a lot of patrician poseurs that hate every movie that is slightly popular.

But i havent visited tv in like 2 years , so i dont really know.

to keep the masses placated of course, thinking they've still got something even the rich cannot buy

I am attacking your points. They aren't points, though, they're just grand assumptions you make about the rich. Merely stating your opinions does not magically make them valid, my little angry friend. This together with a childishly naive view of the rich as "those dum empty guys on facebook bragging about their stuff" is just a giant sign financial insecurity and dire need for rationalisation. Hugo, Baudelaire, Byron, Shelley, Huxley, Darwin, Hegel, Schopenhauer were all pretty wealthy. Like many others. Again, try actually working more instead of pouring out your bitter tears online.

What the fuck are you talking about, you utter retard?
The "black and white" comment was me mocking you for a start.
But let me ask you this, why are they starving and lacking education in the first place?

Not at all. I wish there was a way to truly help them that doesn't involve mass depopulation, but there simply isn't.
The issues they face will never be resolved by people in the west giving them aid repeatedly. I don't want any human being to die if not necessary. Unfortunately, in this particular case, I think it is quite possibly the only solution.
It is no single persons duty to cater for an entire nation.
Trump could donate his entire net worth to them and nothing would change.

As I said, there is no such thing as equality. Doesn't the post I was responding to prove that? All in favour of Trump helping them via sacrifice of his time, energy, and money... but not of his own? How fitting.

>Yes, according to CNN maybe.
Give me a fucking break, it was a actual overly expensive fraud university who put lots of young people in debt during a recession. Are you really trying to justify Trump University?

>What are YOU doing to help them then, big boy? Sell your laptop, sell your home... go on, get on with it! What are you waiting for ethical man!?!
I'm a NEET who is living a single room apartment with 400 euro/month, studying all day long Math. I have no tool to help these people. i'm not the one living in a golden tower bought with old money and frauds here.

>Implying I'm wrong. They choose to breed at the rate they do.
Tomorrow morning 5 billions new people may pop up in Africa and we still would have enough food to feed them.

>What does this even mean, you fucking idiot?
That capitalism is a rich people game, if you're a illiterate Congolese peasant you have no place in this game, yet you weren't the one choosing to have no education, nor are those starving kids deciding to starve instead of living like NEETs.
Also notice that Trump has been notoriously uncharitable in his life, even if he was a trustfund kid making deals with your dad's money.

WTFFF is this crap? Are you 17 or something?
I get away for 3 weeks and board turns to utter shit with posters like you!
Once you will pass 30 you will see that hit the nail on the head and you are bashing the messenger because you are so narrow minded, misplaced, delusional and pampered compared to any other 3rd worlder. So yes, do the right thing and throw everyhing you have in a fire and go on salvation quest to save the world.
To all LIT fags:
LIT is utter shit! Madame Bovary is GOAT anxiety/boredom piece of art.

boring. At his point I'm 99% sure that you're a teenager. Also I've posted only these 2 posts

Because they're parasites who don't have to work.

worst WKW

>le rich people can't make art
Demonstrably untrue. You're just a poorfag who romanticizes "struggle" and weakness thinking that it gives art authenticity.

>an over 30 still browsing Veeky Forums presumes to have any wisdom whatsoever to share
kek of the year

Oh yea the only reason LIT got made coz she's Coppola daugther and had all doors wide open for her including cast (put 2 actors straight out of acting school or D list actor in the same role and movie would be overlooked).

>st (put 2 actors straight out of acting school or D list actor in the same role and movie would be overlooked)

that wouldn't make the movie less good.

You can't blame a movie for being popular

>the only way of providing care and help is selling all your possessions
>everything is black or white
This is a 18+ site.

Jesus christ, your stupidity is staggering.
There is no point in even replying seriously...because you are fucking borderline dribbling, I'm sure of it.

>I have no tool to help these people
I just told you! Sell your possessions and donate the money to sub 70 IQ starving Africans! What's that? Why should you? Indeed, why should you?

You seem to misunderstand my posts or something, because obviously, I'd like to help fellow human beings... but your idea of helping them has been tried repeatedly and guess what? Did it work? I don't think it did, son.

I don't romanticise anything, you fucking idiot. There is no romance in poverty. The fact you suggested that just shows how dimwitted you are.

My point was: There is no art without suffering. Rich people suffer less. Are you going to argue with this?
Suffering is a fundamental component, is it not?
There are numerous examples of rich people from 500 plus years ago who created masterpieces, but where are the ones of today?
Also, I was speaking generally anyway.

Show me art without suffering, and I'll show you shit right after it.

Brilliant reading comprehension there! Are you sure I said the world in black and white, or was I mocking the cunt I replied to? More to the point, why are you posting on a literature forum when you can't actually read?

I'm sure this has been said before but I can't be bothered to read the thread. There's a certain envy the middle class has for the rich and succesful. They will constantly make up excuses to make themselves feel better e.g. "rich people are just lucky" and "money can't buy happiness". The assertion that rich people are bored is among these excuses, and is a false one.

>My point was: There is no art without suffering. Rich people suffer less. Are you going to argue with this?
Yes. There is nothing about being rich that makes you less able to suffer. In fact, ennui and depression is a huge issue for people with too-comfortable lives.
>Suffering is a fundamental component, is it not?
yes
>There are numerous examples of rich people from 500 plus years ago who created masterpieces, but where are the ones of today?
That's more to do with the capitalism than anything else. Historically, the great artists were members of the aristocracy. They didn't "suffer" as much as the common peasants did, but they made great art.

>There is nothing about being rich that makes you less able to suffer.
Not that user but a rich person will never struggle to pay rent or get food. In that aspect the rich are less able to suffer than the poor.

>There is nothing about being rich that makes you less able to suffer.
No one is talking about the ability to suffer, but whether they actually do suffer... and the answer is quite fucking obvious. You can disagree to try and maintain your weak point, but you're wrong either way.
A poor intelligent person suffers a great deal more than a rich intelligent person.

And in regards to the point about the artists of old, etc... they produced more great works on average because poor people literally couldn't read or write and lacked any education of any sort, and any access to works that would aid them, and so on.

One might argue that the reason for the lack of "masterpieces" as of late, is because pretty much everyone in the wests living standards have improved so much that none of us truly struggle anymore.

>angry poor teenage autist desperately tries to teach everyone the truth about the empty vapid rich and their artistic impotence
Quality content I come here for.

This is an extremely simple view. People who struggle to get food on the table don't have time for art: their passions are fulfilled by day-to-day life. They'll never deal with existential issues.

>One might argue that the reason for the lack of "masterpieces" as of late, is because pretty much everyone in the wests living standards have improved so much that none of us truly struggle anymore.
A masterpiece is almost never labelled a masterpiece until decades later.
>B-but I thought this was Veeky Forums!? Where is the quality content!?

>You can disagree to try and maintain your weak point, but you're wrong either way.

Are you the autismo from library card thread? Truly staggering levels of stupidity.

>A masterpiece is almost never labelled a masterpiece until decades later.
This is such a shitty meme. People in the past knew what the great works of their time are. It's not that it'll take 300 years for us to figure out what is good now, there's simply nothing good. Not all eras are the same: some are golden ages, some are mediocre.

Well, it's true isn't it? As I said earlier, point me to an "old money social elite" who has released a masterpiece within the past 50 to 100 years?
Look for yourself... go look at rich people and study them. You will find that they lead empty lives of obsession. Mainly over material possessions and pursuits of vanity, in some form or other.

What the fuck are you talking about, son?
The greatest works of literature, art, painting, pretty much anything... have all been created by people who are fucking starving! (or otherwise suffering.)
>Extremely simple view
Yeah, alright, sure thing.

Simply wrong.

Yes, meaning, you're arguing, and people are less likely to concede a point when arguing from such an emotional place because they're fucking petty.

What?
>Stupidity
Prove me wrong

>The greatest works of literature, art, painting, pretty much anything... have all been created by people who are fucking starving! (or otherwise suffering.)
No, they weren't.

Also emotional suffering >>>> not having basic needs. Plebs who can't even get food don't have time for that shit.

Being wealthy doesn't make you bored, being intelligent does. Things get boring once we notice the repetition in them.