Do you like Lovecraft Veeky Forums

I was introduced to his books when i was 14.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=pd5gWGfnK5M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i read a lot of his stories when i was in middle school
god I would beat the fuck out of middle school me

He's pretty neat. Poe is better, though.

H E C O M E S !!!!

>Poe is better
t.Baudelaire

He was a full on "living the literary lifestyle" writer who spawned a universe the scope of warhammer 40k. His stories are one of the bests bridges between young literature and serious big boy books. He is still memed into the void because of the endless pop culture references and subculture that originated from a tabletop rpg.
I hate this world sometimes.

I'm just getting through his stories now and enjoying them. Some are a little tedious, and generally they're not incredibly scary, but overall they're fun.

His overuse of adverbs and adjectives are actually quite endearing and really add to the mood of his fiction --especially his "Dreamland" stuff. "Shadow Over Innsmouth" is unironically good.

I wish less of his stories were diaries that end with "oh shit, it here, brb"

He was a mediocre writer at best

and?

Pic related was a sub-par writer, yet he created one of the greatest stories of all time.

He is one of the Writers that got me into reading as a kid. So, I love him.

>who spawned a universe the scope of warhammer 40k
spawned being the key word. Derleth and his cronies butchered and adapted his mythology with endless fluff. His library of works could have been akin to dark souls (going with the vidya analogy), but it's ended up as you said, like warhammer 40k.

that's never a good thing.

I appreciate his influence on pop culture and I enjoyed alot of his work but I am super alienated from the Lovecraft subculture.

Tolkien's prose has a certain pleasantness to it, though. Sure, it's pseudoarchaic, but it has a nice story-by-the-fire feel to it, at least to me. Lovecraft's is like the gnashing of teeth more often than not. Even if you look at one of his secondary revision works, like The Night Ocean by R. H. Barlow, the areas he edited or added are glaringly obvious, much like Percy Bysshe Shelley's additions to Frankenstein.

I find Poe to be largely the same. It seems Lovecraft never got over his aping of Poe. It's a shame he didn't because his contemporary Clark Ashton Smith certainly did and he's by far the best prose stylist of the traditional big three of Weird Tales. A better writer than most fantasy and science fiction authors, even.

>the scope of warhammer 40k
>could have been akin to dark souls

Can you guys stop being so gay.

The Lovecraft fan culture is garbage, probably because most of his stories aren't very good. If I hear "eldritch" or "non-euclidean" one more time I'm gonna frown behind my computer and move on with my life.

If you want Lovecraft but good Ligotti is the best. Lyrical prose, dark themes, actually getting to the meat of what made Lovecraft stuff scary instead of 'LOL THEN TENTACLES HAHA NOW HE'S INSANE'

Ligotti is only like Lovecraft on the surface and I think his prose in Songs of a Dead Dreamer is pretty bad. Certainly no better than Lovecraft's. Read Nethescurial if you haven't, it's great at illustrating the divide between the two. Ligotti's whole horror shtick is that something is innately wrong, even malevolent, with the universe and generally death is the only solution (as in The Troubles of Dr. Thoss), whereas Lovecraft's approach was ancient ayys and human insignificance against them. Sorry if this seems to be akin to splitting hairs, it's just really tiresome seeing people tote Ligotti as some kind of successor to Lovecraft's philosophy, when ol' Tommy subsumed Lovecraft and spat him out pretty early on in his career. Just try and compare something like the stories in Teatro Grotesco to anything by H. P. Lovecraft.

Lovecraft had a shitty writing style but great concepts. The mark he left on popculture and all the future works drawing from him is priceless, but the only good story I can think of were Rats in the Walls.

Just reached the Call of Cthulhu in the collection the other day. Why hasn't anyone made a movie of it yet? It was pretty damn cinematic.

The Dream Cycle stories are dope as fuck.

Yes I like him. I like his philosophies he presents in his stories.

The work inspired by Lovecraft is better than what Lovecraft actually wrote.

From what little I saw, I wouldn't trust him near children, or my mind.

reading through one of the many collections of his stories right now. very hit or miss. some are wicked and some are boring.

They have, there's a very good silent film from 2005 made by fans. They actually do a fantastic job of it with their tiny budget.

Coen?

Can you give examples?

His overuse of adverbs and adjectives is a large part of what makes me dislike his works. I will admit that his style is very consistent, though.

This is untrue. Everything inspired by HPL is ok at best, and just plain sucks 99% of the time. Even authors that were technically better than him suck when they try to "fix" his stuff.

The HPLHS is not just "fans", mate. Also, you should check this out:

youtube.com/watch?v=pd5gWGfnK5M

I guess he was alright, got me into Veeky Forums when I was a younger lad.

The best Lovecraft stories I remember:
>The music of Erich Zann
>The Alchemist
>The Shadow over Innsmouth
>Dagon
>The Color out of Space
>At the Mountains of Madness
>The Quest of Iranon

I've seen that too, it's great too but Call of Cthulhu edges it out for me as the best lovecraft adaptation.

I liked The Quest of Iranon when I was younger, too, but it's now plain to me that it's just Lovecraft's whining about his unrecognized talent.