How is it that it is 2017 and I still hear people say things like "evolution is a myth"...

How is it that it is 2017 and I still hear people say things like "evolution is a myth", "evolution has never been proven", "it's just a theory!" etc? Is this just a US thing, or are there other modern countries that are scientifically illiterate as well? What gives?

why not go further to flat-earth and 6000 year old earth.

Are you saying evolution is more than a scientific theory?

If so, what is it?

Many muslim countries also have trouble accepting it.

Poland, Slovakia, Italy & Ireland are also pretty cuckservative like the Rural USA.

It's just a theory, what do you mean?

No my people are saying the same thing, but it's a muslim dominated third-world country so that's that.

Hell if you say that in public, chances are you're getting stones in your face.

>brainlet who doesn't know the difference between the scientific and layman's definitions of "theory".

What the scientific community needs to do is come up with a new word to replace "theory" since retards never fail to latch onto that as if it makes everything suspect.

>>brainlet who doesn't know the difference between the scientific and layman's definitions of "theory".
Where did you get this implication?

Technically, it is just a theory.

Factors like evidence, logic, or even basic sense don't factor into the beliefs of religious/stupid people. You're giving far too much credit to the average human if you expect their beliefs to be based in any form of reasoning.

Scientific theory is exactly what it is. The religifags that use the "just a theory" line often seem to use that to undermine evolution, apparently not understanding that a scientific theory is an explanation of the the natural world that is supported by overwhelming evidence and confirmed through repeated testing observation and experiment.

>"Anthropocentric climate change is SETTLED SCIENCE."

>modern country

A *scientific* theory. Which means it's an explanation that is confirmed from overwhelming evidence, testing, and experiment and for all practical purposes is accepted as factually true.

One thing is to say "yo bro that's just a theory" which is true it's a SCIENTIFIC theory (which is supported by so many experiments and proofs)... I can stand that.
Another thing is to say that fucking dinosaurs never existed at all, that sleep paralysis does not exist because it's Satan's fault, that evolution is not possible because "why not all monkeys became like us?" and more idiotic things... I keep meeting people like this Fuck

I had a teacher in HS who believed the Earth was 6000 years old, he was my programming instructor. He served in the USAF working in a fucking missile bunker. And the worst part, he wasn't stupid, just dogmatic.

It's always been that way, it's just that now luddites and religious extremists have social media accounts. Expect a rise in holy wars and insane social positions in the coming years.

That is weak as fuck. Counts the existence of transition fossils twice, counts traits retained from ancestral forms twice, then adds the total padding of "lots of studies" to the list of studies.

It cites the age of rock layers as hard evidence for evolution, which it is not -- an old Earth is a necessary but not sufficient condition.

Personally am comfortable with evolution as a thing that happened, and continues to happen, and of Darwinian natural selection (with some modifications) as being a good theory as to how it happens. I don't dispute the conclusion, I just don't think you make a strong case by being so sloppy in your thinking.

The idea that science is ever settled is more irritating than the misuse of "theory" by laymen.

>sleep paralysis is not real
Wait, that's a new one on me... Who says that?

My father, a chemical engineer, works with a 31 year old who apparently is the same. The dude designs refineries centered around petrochemicals, the very nature of which take longer than 6000 years to create, but like you said, is just dogmatic. Every week my dad will call me with fresh stories about this guy (who apparently has to assert his faith in every paragraph), it's pretty entertaining stuff. But like completely irrational

Then isn't it good that he found, not one, but two jobs that allowed him to make a living where what he thought about the age of the Earth was not an issue?

Almost like divine providence...

>666
Begone, Satan.

Hard evidence, not speculation.

My biology teacher in high school was consistently pushing her political and religious beliefs(strict Catholic) onto students, I didn't realize it till I was finished with the class. We were literally learning about evolution and she would say it's only a theory and there is no facts supporting it, and would try her hardest to convince students abortion was wrong.

A guy I met recently said sleep paralysis doesn't exist, is just a lie from science. The "reality" is a witch is casting you some sorcery or evil eye or stupid shit like that

>The universe exists
>Speculation

desu it's more soft evidence

What is this new meme that people like circulate. Being a retarded protestant or closet protestant who takes the bible literally doesn't make you a "hardcore christian" it makes you a pleb who doesn't understand Christianity at all. The bible was never meant to be a literal tale, everyone before the reformation knew this.

People who can't think for themselves are fucking brainlets

>The bible wasnt meant to be taken literally
>except for these parts you should take literally
it would appear you've fallen victim to one of human's oldest scams, organized religion. If you back up and evaluate the bible even metaphorically, anyone rational would be able to tell it's a crock of control without real rational thought.

>you just dont understand it!
no you're just irrational and believe irrational things.

>The bible was never meant to be a literal tale
wrong

regards
jesus

I have not fallen for any scam since I am an agnostic leaning deist and thus disagree with all organized religion. It's still a fact that basing your views on religion on a thousand years worth of theological writings makes you more of an "hardcore fan" than reading just one book.

>I have not fallen for any scam since I am an agnostic leaning deist and thus disagree with all organized religion.
this is the only rational belief that involves a belief in god. well done user.